Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interesting mineral formation on Mars

william joseph

A lightening strike seems much more explanatory to me in regards to the metallic structure that we see in the picture.The ionospheric conditions that would induce the magnetospheric requirements of the Earth's magnetic field would explain the structure of the metallic protuberance.EG,Lightening strikes cause many of the unexplained occurrances in the Earth's physical structure.The magnetic field that the Earth creates in a time of a violent electro magnetic surge such as lightening surprizes many of us.None of us know the magnetic upheaval caused by the electric impulses of the Earth.Sand can be turned to glass etc!

Edited by GirlfromOz
  • Like 2

Why is this photo so out of focus?

It's not.

It's a blowup of a small area of a much larger photograph. This is what happens when you expand a photo beyond its native resolution.

Is the shiny object a metallic mineral? The great majority of these on Earth are oxides and sulfides of iron---magnetite, hematite, and pyrites (fool's gold). This isn't a bad bet for Mars, too. We know the planet has substantial iron. It's famous red color is caused by the oxidation of iron.

I looked through literally hundreds of picturess of each of the above named minerals, on Google image. I found none that looked like the object photographed on Mars, nor that suggested that any of them would be expected to assume the weird, branching shape, suggested by the photographs made by Curiosity.

Edited by bison

I know Alien artifacts are on Mars, and i mean Super Intelligent Aliens, not Dumb **** ones!

If NASA takes a close look at this object they will just grind (or laser) it to dust and then say "What tiny intelligently made object?"

As they did with: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/opportunity_m034.html

What's that link about? I don't see any potential intelligently made object in that micro rock image.

I take it you're saying the subject of this thread is an intelligently made object, then. Well, as we all know- there's no end of uses for a 5mm wobbly blob.

Ok... so now.... any thoughts or possible exploration ideas from NASA on this one ?.

And the flower, which was the "size of a grain of sand" ... anything else on that one?

What about the "rock" that looks like a plank of wood - weathered and all, discovered by Opportunity?

Appears that anything looking like a weird item.... when looked at by "a random person from the internet" ie. me and you appears not what the yet to be commissioned

Curiosity is going to investigate.

Looking at clay, boring holes in rocks, thats what its there for. But when something really odd turns up... just bypass it and forget it?

Nope I dont think so...... everything NASA tells us is GOSPELL... just ask Waspie. Heaven forbid that we even attempt to question it.

I think just on pyramids. Some of them are 10 times bigger then Khufu.

There are pyramids in Egypt which looks like a hill because time and environment.

So a pyramid is a pyramid,... and a hill is also a pyramid??

There sure are lots of pyramids.

There seems to be a background paranoia here that anything NASA finds they are going to hide. Seems to me if they found an artifact they would pop the champaign and party for a week. All their careers would be made.

I doubt that this object is a piece that fell off the Curiosity rover. First-- it doesn't appear to be in an area the rover has traveled over. There is rough terrain all around the object, and they seem to have the rover select the smoothest available path. It currently appears to be just below a linear feature made of largish, blocky rocks. Second-- We've heard nothing from NASA to suggest that some metal part has fallen off the rover. In the past, when odd looking objects have turned up, it has quickly been suggested that the object is some bit of expendable plastic from the rover. Third-- The metallic-looking object does not appear to be in a stable configuration for an object that fell down onto the surface of Mars. It's top-heavy looking. It looks as if it should fall over. It presumably would have done, if it had fallen off of Curiosity. I surmise that it's attached to something larger, buried beneath the surface, that serves to hold it in place.

Edited by bison

The stranger the true explanation for this object, the longer it will take for us to hear about it. Statements about anything they find on Mars are filtered through a set of scientific protocols. Scientists are not going to announce that they have discovered something truly remarkable on Mars, without first taking time to check, recheck, and then check again their evidence and conclusions.

They tend to mistrust 'remarkable' discoveries, and are afraid that, if they speak too soon, it may later be shown that they got carried away in their enthusiasm, and that a prosaic explanation is the correct one. What that could be, in this particular case, I can't see, but that scarcely proves that one will not be found.

• Like 1

But when will someone tell us what it really is ?

They will either just ignore it, as they did with the "flower". Or say it is a "rock" as they did with the weathered plank of sawn wood which was photographed by one of the previous missions.

Sometimes...in situations like this, the most obvious answer is the only answer and is the correct answer............................ if you came across this same feature in any desert on Earth ( a featurless unworked piece of metal) you would assume (and probably correctly) that it was a piece of naturally occurring ore.

As much as I would like it be something else............. it probably does what it says on the tin !

• Like 1

They will either just ignore it, as they did with the "flower". Or say it is a "rock" as they did with the weathered plank of sawn wood which was photographed by one of the previous missions.

I understand that thing looked fascinating at first, but: layered rock. also bearing in mind how close it is to an impact crater which shook everything up. When I first looked at it, If anything I could imagine a semi-worked stone.

However the idea that some long lost civilization disappeared millions of years ago, and what was left over was one plank of wood on a rocky plateau- is pretty hard to believe.

Edited by ad hoc

Or say it is a "rock" as they did with the weathered plank of sawn wood which was photographed by one of the previous missions.

Maybe that's because it is a rock.

NASA employs some of the best geologists and planetary scientists in the world. You, on the other hand, believe this:

Mars is a wasteland... probably created by some type of nuclear holocaust. NASA will try to hide all the planks of wood, plastics etc that the rover photographs... to keep us all from absolute panic.

Anyone who believes that the things most likely to survive a nuclear holocaust are wood and plastics is someone whose opinion can not be taken seriously.

The reason NASA's views don't match yours is not because they are hiding the truth, it is because they actually know what they are talking about.

• Like 5

Anyone who believes that the things most likely to survive a nuclear holocaust are wood and plastics is someone whose opinion can not be taken seriously.

Not if the holocaust happened at the other side of the planet...

The reason NASA's views don't match yours is not because they are hiding the truth, it is because they actually know what they are talking about.

Mawhawhaw... I always get a big giggle out of your um... waspishness

I understand that thing looked fascinating at first, but: layered rock. also bearing in mind how close it is to an impact crater which shook everything up. When I first looked at it, If anything I could imagine a semi-worked stone.

However the idea that some long lost civilization disappeared millions of years ago, and what was left over was one plank of wood on a rocky plateau- is pretty hard to believe.

There has been found more than just a plank of wood. There is also a statue of what looks like a mermaid, lots and lots of various metal pieces of junk, arrows, shoes etc etc.

Remember, this planet had running rivers and streams, was within the goldilocks zone at that time, and was much warmer. Why is it so difficult for you to accept that perhaps there WAS a civilisation there.?

Is it because NASA hasnt told you this?

Edited by Zeta Reticulum

There has been found more than just a plank of wood. There is also a statue of what looks like a mermaid, lots and lots of various metal pieces of junk, arrows, shoes etc etc.

Remember, this planet had running rivers and streams, was within the goldilocks zone at that time, and was much warmer. Why is it so difficult for you to accept that perhaps there WAS a civilisation there.?

Is it because NASA hasnt told you this?

Maybe it's because every time I take a look at a new 'anomaly', it's so obviously not what you people desperately want it to be that I don't even need to hear Nasa's word on it.

I love the cartoonily surreal vision you have about what would be left lying around on the surface aeons after everything else from some mysterious alien civilization has turned to dust- arrows, shoes, and planks of wood.

Actually I don't think it's impossible that there was a civilization on mars, and I'd love it if signs showed up! But I'm not prepared to go into a fantasy world to feed my need for mystery and excitement around the matter.

I doubt that the mysterious object on Mars is a fulgurite, as has been suggested here, and elsewhere. Fulgurites are tubular channels, formed when lightning penetrates underground and fuses sand into a glassy material. Granted, lightning, of a sort, is known on Mars, and fulgurites are sometimes exposed by the shifting of sand. It should be realized, though, that fulgurites consistently have rough, typically granular exteriors. The glassy part is inside, and between sand grains. I looked at hundreds of pictures of fulgurites on Google image to confirm this. I found no examples of conspicuous glass-like outer surfaces. The upper part of the object on Mars apparently has a very smooth surface, judging by the way it shines with reflected sunlight.

I doubt that the mysterious object on Mars is a fulgurite, as has been suggested here, and elsewhere. Fulgurites are tubular channels, formed when lightning penetrates underground and fuses sand into a glassy material. Granted, lightning, of a sort, is known on Mars, and fulgurites are sometimes exposed by the shifting of sand. It should be realized, though, that fulgurites consistently have rough, typically granular exteriors. The glassy part is inside, and between sand grains. I looked at hundreds of pictures of fulgurites on Google image to confirm this. I found no examples of conspicuous glass-like outer surfaces. The upper part of the object on Mars apparently has a very smooth surface, judging by the way it shines with reflected sunlight.

yep. I have some fulgurites- the outside is all encrusted with embedded sand & rock grains, it's a bit like fried batter. it's only the inside that is shiny.

As regards anything to do with extraterrestrial visitation or possible past civilizations on Mars the US government continues to contend that "it can't be true, so it isn't true". NASA is part of the US government. Expect them to adhere to the same principle and hide behind "science" in doing so. We can't do anything about our government lying to us but we are fools if we think they don't.

• Like 1

To me, it looks like a piece of rebar torn or cut in half. The shiny ends are where the steel joined together. Yep, that's my guess.

Piece of plastic from the Rover. There are winds on Mars.