Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interesting mineral formation on Mars

william joseph

I guess a few people hadn't heard about the fossil I referenced in my first post so this link will explain it a little.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/marte/esp_crinoid.htm

Let's keep this to at least an approximation of on topic shall we. There is plenty of discussion about Richard C. Hoagland's "evidence" in the Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon section.

There has been found more than just a plank of wood. There is also a statue of what looks like a mermaid, lots and lots of various metal pieces of junk, arrows, shoes etc etc.

Remember, this planet had running rivers and streams, was within the goldilocks zone at that time, and was much warmer. Why is it so difficult for you to accept that perhaps there WAS a civilisation there.?

Is it because NASA hasnt told you this?

It's because there is NO EVIDENCE to support it. Just because you are seeing something doesn't mean the rest of the world are. If there is evidence presented to show that there was a civilisation there then I will accept it.

I believe in scientific method, you don't even understand what that is. You have a belief, nothing more. The thing is what is on Mars is not about belief. What you or I think does not change the reality. I understand that, you don't.

Your entire claim that NASA is hiding things is illogical and idiotic in the extreme. How do you "know" these pieces of wood are there? Because you've seen them in pictures. Who released the pictures? That would be NASA. So according to you NASA are hiding things from the public by releasing pictures of them to the public. If you can't see how foolish that argument is then you are beyond help.

Further more, in releasing those pictures they are not just releasing them to you and me, they are releasing them to the experts around the world who aren't employed by NASA. Experts who really can tell the difference between a rock and a plank of wood. The funny thing is, they aren't rushing forwards in their hundreds to support you, and they probably never will. Why? Because they know what they are talking about.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 4

Mars Rock Takes Unusual Form

726294main1msl201302116.jpg

A shiny-looking Martian rock is visible in this image taken by NASA's Mars rover Curiosity's Mast Camera (Mastcam) during the mission's 173rd Martian day, or sol (Jan. 30, 2013). Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Malin Space Science Systems › Larger view

On Mars, as on Earth, sometimes things can take on an unusual appearance. A case in point is a shiny-looking rock seen in a recent image from NASA's Curiosity Mars rover.

Some casual observers might see a resemblance to a car door handle, hood ornament or some other type of metallic object. To Ronald Sletten of the University of Washington, Seattle, a collaborator on Curiosity's science team, the object is an interesting study in how wind and the natural elements cause erosion and other effects on various types of rocks.

Find out what likely caused the shiny appearance of the Martian rock, and see some examples of similar phenomena found on Earth. A PDF of the images and explanatory text is available at: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/msl/20130211/ventifacts.pdf .

Guy Webster 818-354-6278

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.

guy.webster@jpl.nasa.gov

2013-053

arrow3.gifSource

The object looks foreign to the surrounding area so I think it may be a fragment of a metallic meteorite. But that is just a guess on my part.

Joseph P Skipper (Mars Anomaly page) was into that stuff and has some weird photos. His sites is down. He's very old and ill. Anyone know of he's ok?

That is the problem with unmanned exploration. Anything interesting that turns up more than likely can't be resolved because there is no human being there to pick it up and examine it. They are so locked into pre-decided routines that they have no freedom to really explore.

So, a NASA geologist looked at the mysterious object, and gave his opinion on what it could be, if it is assumed to be a geological phenomenon. He could very well be right, but the pictures of what be believes to be similar phenomena on Earth aren't very convincing. The wind-polished rocks don't appear to be anywhere near as shiny as the top part of the object on Mars.

It didn't seem too much to hope that closer scrutiny of this object would be undertaken, once Curiosity's other work at this location was completed. I don't suppose that's very likely to happen, now.

I can't help recalling the adage: 'To a man whose only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail'. If, by chance, the Mars object isn't simply a geological phenomenon, a geologist isn't really in a position to say what it is.

Edited by bison
  • Like 2

Very Sound logic bison ! It would be good to read really what NASA has to say about it in Full,and without any restrictions.

If, by chance, the Mars object isn't simply a geological phenomenon, a geologist isn't really in a position to say what it is.

Maybe, but a geologist IS in the position to know that it isn't simply a geological phenomenon.

Maybe, but a geologist IS in the position to know that it isn't simply a geological phenomenon.

Just *Maybe*, not certainly. Reusing my own analogy, above, he has only a hammer (geology), and goes looking for a nail (geological phenomenon) . Finds an object that looks something like a 'nail'. Assumes it is a 'nail'. But what if it isn't? I think the image too small, the enlargements too blurry to say for certain what we have here. A pity, I think, that there probably won't be any further investigation of the object.

So a Billion dollars and Curiosity dosnt have steering and a Reverse? WHo`s driving that thing ? :tu:

It's a crystallized...

2154563-chestburster.jpg

To be serious though, it looks like a handle of some kind although I'm not suggesting that it actually IS a handle,mind you.

I know what it is...

mars-metal.jpg

It's a little silver car stunting off a ramp...

Yes, the part at the back, behind the vertical 'shaft' *does* look something like a slanted ramp. It looks as though this may be separate from the vertical part, and connects the end of the horizontal part to what looks like a broad base. It is details like this that make me wonder about the simple geological explanation.
  • Like 1

Yes, the part at the back, behind the vertical 'shaft' *does* look something like a slanted ramp. It looks as though this may be separate from the vertical part, and connects the end of the horizontal part to what looks like a broad base. It is details like this that make me wonder about the simple geological explanation.

The simple geological explanation is to get people's attention off this item. NASA has no intention of investigating anything (in front of random persons from the internet) other than rocks and clay. They may well check it out without our knowledge tho.

The original link now states that the object is 'about 3 CM's' in size... Thats' abit more than an inch if I did my math semi-right...

While I firmly believe that this is a natural object (as opposed to intelligently made), to me it sort of resembles the hood ornament off of a Jaguar car...

Edited by Taun

The original link now states that the object is 'about 3 CM's' in size... Thats' abit more than an inch if I did my math semi-right...

While I firmly believe that this is a natural object (as opposed to intelligently made), to me it sort of resembles the hood ornament off of a Jaguar car...

Three centimeters? That's about six times larger than what they said before. Quite a large margin of error, it seems! One suspects that there could be a good deal of uncertainty about various facts to do with this object.

The simple geological explanation is to get people's attention off this item.
Do you have evidence or an actual argument to back this up or is this just another kneejerk reaction typical of these forums where people take it upon faith that NASA are in the business of covering up every single interesting thing they find?

NASA mentioned that this object is a rock that became crystallized due to winds and what have you...If that's the case then how come those rocks surrounding it doesn't have the same appearance??? those are also exposed to wind. It's about time another country should invest in space exploration that would be transparent enough to tell us the truth. They think they'll gain something from hiding the truth to the people??? They're just being used and will also suffer the same fate as we are when the time comes...

• Like 1

Do you have evidence or an actual argument to back this up or is this just another kneejerk reaction typical of these forums where people take it upon faith that NASA are in the business of covering up every single interesting thing they find?

The evidence is there for all to see. And also their lack of investigation of certain items.

The evidence is there for all to see. And also their lack of investigation of certain items.

I often wonder about Mars. Millions of years ago if it were teaming with life maybe even intelligent in the oceans or on land. It may have been bombarded with meteors which helped it lose its magnetic field during a natural pole shifting. Terrible climate effects would happen both to the atmosphere and even underground. Extreme cold and heat, sand storms, dry ice snow spewing at the caps etc. If this were to happen to earth how much would be left for archeologists to discover millions of years later?

With the sand storms themselves it would cover any signs of surviving structures.

We wouldn't really know until they were uncovered just as the Sphinx laid buried so long under the sand on our own planet. I would imagine ever thing would be gone except under ground for some extremeaphiles maybe?

I'm not into conspiracy theories but there are such sand storms from the drying, if there were any real artifical structures on Mars, very small or large, couldn't they be masked by the sands at certain times and uncovered later by another sand storm later?

Just a thought.

• Like 1