Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The top 10 quality of life cities

questionmark

For high wages, good public infrastructure and a vibrant cultural scene, European cities continue to dominate the 2012 Quality of Living survey by the consulting firm Mercer. See where American cities feature in the global list.

Read more

and congrats to Vancouver BC

• Like 1

Great places I'm sure if you've got the dough. Given the thread category this must be a knock on America in some way.

Great places I'm sure if you've got the dough. Given the thread category this must be a knock on America in some way.

The knock is that the first US city on the list ranks 43th, not 40 years ago half the cities on that list were in the US. That should tell us something.

• Like 1

The knock is that the first US city on the list ranks 43th, not 40 years ago half the cities on that list were in the US. That should tell us something.

Yep, That tells us that quality of life has declined in step with the growth of government. There are probably many other reasons too but one sure thing is that it was a knock. No surprise, just an easy guess.

• Like 2

Yep, That tells us that quality of life has declined in step with the growth of government. There are probably many other reasons too but one sure thing is that it was a knock. No surprise, just an easy guess.

I don't know if it is the growth of the government or the mutual exploitation of the citizens. Because among them top 10s there are a few (Denmark, as an example) where the government does not get any bigger.

Also, the quality of life has declined in step with the fall of American Labor Unions.

Middle Class has been given the shaft, and quality of life is just one of the many things it affects.

Just info...

Here's Mercer's top 50 list... http://www.mercer.co...ing-report-2012

The first U.S. city is Honolulu, ranked 28.

I didn't dig up top quality reports dating back to the 70's. Perhaps Q could do so since he suggested the 40 years thing...

The oldest one online dates from 2010, so if interested all would have to go to the library.

My home town at number 3? It seems all you need to make the list is a local government that increases the rates by 6% annually, the water rates by 150%, increases the public debt by half in a couple of years and allows the cities violent crime rate to increase so much that its not safe to walk the streets at night. Seriously, the Nitro Circus (you know, the fearless stuntmen and women) will not tour Auckland anymore after two separate attacks on their group in one night.

• Like 1

Also, the quality of life has declined in step with the fall of American Labor Unions.

they fell???idk about your area, but in nyc, they are still strong, doing half azzed jobs for 3x the cost, and 2x the time it should be done.

• Like 1

I don't know if it is the growth of the government or the mutual exploitation of the citizens. Because among them top 10s there are a few (Denmark, as an example) where the government does not get any bigger.

Something I haven't thought of before. Are these other big government places like Denmark known for their welfare system? Because I thought about, but declined to, add in my previous remark that along with government dependency the potential for moral decline increases. Look no further than your local ghetto or trailer park for the proof.

Supervike, I know you are a union guy but it seems you don't understand my issue with unions. In principal, they are just fine. However, they, like our government, have gotten too big for their britches. They, like our government, claims to be about the people when in reality they are about power and money. They use the people for their money and garner support by giving huge financial and benefit incentives to them just in exchange for being complacent and supportive the same as government does with handouts. Economic impacts are always on the back burner. Both the unions and the government create a moral decline when they act as savior to people. When someone always has your back what's the point of self-responsibility. I know not all people succumb to being sheep but many do and that gets passed on to everyone who looks to them for the answers. It creates an on going effect moral of decline and depletion of self worth.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

Something I haven't thought of before. Are these other big government places like Denmark known for their welfare system? Because I thought about, but declined to, add in my previous remark that along with government dependency the potential for moral decline increases. Look no further than your local ghetto or trailer park for the proof.

Yes, but the system comes with strings attached. In Denmark you never have to worry about eating, or about having a roof over your head. But if you want to have anything beyond that you either are working or in school qualifying for work. If not you will get nothing beyond the minimum. One thing the Danes learned very well is to keep the lazy bums in booze because it is cheaper than keeping them in jail. And the balance can be spend on education...

Yes, but the system comes with strings attached. In Denmark you never have to worry about eating, or about having a roof over your head. But if you want to have anything beyond that you either are working or in school qualifying for work. If not you will get nothing beyond the minimum. One thing the Danes learned very well is to keep the lazy bums in booze because it is cheaper than keeping them in jail. And the balance can be spend on education...

Not sure that's enough info to form a solid opinion but thanks for the info.

Frankfurt? Seriously? I used to live there for one year, and couldn't get away fast enough.

I got there from Chicago in '81, loved it.

It all depends on your perspective I guess.

Frankfurt? Seriously? I used to live there for one year, and couldn't get away fast enough.

I see your point but think about Los Angeles, California. You've got South Central, LA which is a cesspool and a few miles away you have Beverly Hills which is an immensely expensive place where I'm sure the quality of life is amazing.

Not sure that's enough info to form a solid opinion but thanks for the info.

Almost missed this one, Ok, here the part you don't like: Tax rate is from 42.9 to 63% progressively (all that feel good has to be funded somehow).

Almost missed this one, Ok, here the part you don't like: Tax rate is from 42.9 to 63% progressively (all that feel good has to be funded somehow).

Well yea. I figured on that. Are you suggesting you like to take care of lazy booze hounds? You already know I don't.

I'm positive there are many ways one could come up with a list like this with different cities placing better or worse but according to what you and I are talking about it would seem that the harder people works to pay for those who don't the better the overall quality of life becomes. I don't know. Something doesn't add up here.

Well yea. I figured on that. Are you suggesting you like to take care of lazy booze hounds? You already know I don't.

Let me put it this way: I don't mind paying taxes if there is a return (and the return does not have to benefit me directly either), even if they are outrageous provided the return is big enough. What seriously ticks me off is that you pay taxes and the best you get is a passport every ten years, provided you have $65 to pay for it.

Let me put it this way: I don't mind paying taxes if there is a return (and the return does not have to benefit me directly either), even if they are outrageous provided the return is big enough. What seriously ticks me off is that you pay taxes and the best you get is a passport every ten years, provided you have $65 to pay for it.

I agree with that, as anyone should. I consider a formidable military a big return. I consider a safe bridge a big return. I do not however consider the creation of a welfare state a big return though that shouldn't be confused with me as not wanting to help someone to get back on their feet. I do not consider giving F-16's and billions of dollars to the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt a big return or teaching South Africans how to wash their nuts to the tune of $800K a big return.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-

Well, that list at least shows half a dozen US cities in the top 30, now we don't even get in there anymore...

Had to go back and really compare the lists.. Using them for comparison..

We have had 8 cities in the 2006/2007 and 2012 listings. 7 of the 8 cities have remained the same.. The numbers and their scores in 2006, 2007, and 2012...

Honolulu- 27, 27, 28

San Francisco- 28, 29, 29

Boston, 36, 36, 35

Washington DC- 41, 44, 43

Chicago- 41, 44, 42

New York- 46, 48, 44

Seattle- 47, 49, 44

Portland was on 2006/2007, 43,46, not on 2012

Pittsburgh was not on 2006/2007, but is on 2012, 49

I also found it interesting that the top 10 list has stayed the same between 2006/2007 and 2012, though some cities have changed rankings.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1