Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lack of Personal Bf Encounters

Q-C

I'd find his story far more believable if he was in an in an emergency room explaining the stick shoved up his butt...

Oh God, that would have been all over every tabloid at the checkout in every store in the country. "I was sodomized by Bigfoot" ......And we have the hospital records to prove it!

See, it's **** like that, that gives people who have seen something, they weren't drunk, high, or crazy at the time, not to come forward because of all the Bigfoot encounters I read and heard about that one stands out in my mind.....and yours as well it seems. As a result, we sort of see them in the light of the crazy old guy with the stick......employing the time honored scientific method of poking to ensure his validity. No scientist in his right mind would dispute his claim.

See, it's **** like that, that gives people who have seen something, they weren't drunk, high, or crazy at the time, not to come forward because of all the Bigfoot encounters I read and heard about that one stands out in my mind.....and yours as well it seems. As a result, we sort of see them in the light of the crazy old guy with the stick......employing the time honored scientific method of poking to ensure his validity. No scientist in his right mind would dispute his claim.

Yeah, but set aside the testimony of your friends and don't pretty much all the public accounts of people who got a good look at Biff stink of crazy? Maybe it's selective memory, but there seem to be mostly 3 types of Biff encounter that are made public: I heard/smelled something that I assume was a Biff, Something dashed across the road as I was driving and I think it was a Biff, and There's a family of Biffs that knock on my door and borrows sugar.

Most of the actual "I'm positive it was a Biff because I saw it clearly and up close" accounts do seem to originate with the nutbags.

I've never and will never say it's impossible. I just think the odds of a Shaq-and-a-half sized creature living right beside us for the last 300 years without our having ever shot or run over one is so against the odds that it might as well be impossible. The thing true believers don't like to take into account is that the human mind can do crazy things. People can watch a wedding video 10 years later and be shocked that the bridesmaids were wearing blue dresses when they remember clearly that they were wearing yellow dresses. A therapist can convince someone's mind to create the clear memory of someone molesting them as a child even though it never happened. People have been "seeing" unexplained things forever. When it was accepted, it was demons or fairies. Nowadays, it's somewhat acceptable to see Biff or the classic Gray alien.

Outside of the real nutcases, I wouldn't call anyone a liar. I just think the odds that someone's mind was playing tricks on them (which we know happens) is more reasonable than that they saw this almost impossible creature (which we don't know exists).

Anyway, I'm interested in the whole thing more from the psychological viewpoint of how the two sides think and interact than really whether there's a big hairy dude running around stealing beef jerky.

*snip*

Me, more and more as well too. That is why I thought this thread might touch on it from skeptics and believers.

Well, Goodness knows I've heard enough of those stories in my time, but I think the ones knocking on the door wanted garlic as I recall, could have been a different story.

I have to agree that had I heard these stories from people I didn't know or read them on the web I'd have blown them off myself. The clincher for me was I knew both the guys, personally and I knew something like this was just way outside of something they'd do and maintain it for years. In fact, when the old boy died in Georgia, several of us were having a wake for him after the funeral and we got to talking about him and how he'd suddenly given up hunting, trapping and all his woodsman lifestyle so suddenly as he did and apparently I was the only person he'd ever spoken to about it or told the story to, even the girl he lived with didn't know what had happened to change him so quickly. I figured it didn't matter at that point so I told them the story he told me. I think most of the people believed the story, but some wondered whether or not he'd told it because he just got burned out on hunting or some other reason, and I can understand that as well. Let's face it, it is sort of out there.

Now the other guy, is still alive and still a police officer and has never changed his story. That doesn't make it any more believable to others, you understand, but why keep telling a lie that could be detrimental to you as a person who is expected to be able to give sworn testimony, under oath, in a court of law? And oh yeah, you saw Bigfoot, right?

So while I'm not a "sho'nuff" believer, I am open to the possibility.

Me, more and more as well too. That is why I thought this thread might touch on it from skeptics and believers.

The psychological side once again. What happens when you play the psychological card in a debate is both sides of the argument can end up looking inadequate or weak minded in some way. I can play head games as good as the next person. I don't like going there, but it's been my observation that when all else fails the card gets played and the game is on.

Yes I've even questioned my own sanity at times, but I only go where the evidence leads me. So I end up dealing with my own mental train wrecks and revelations the best I can. I don't need assistance with slam dunk answers, I can make those up myself. I can honestly say that finding evidence of "something" unusual does have an effect on the mind, for a while anyways. I don't recommend doing what I do unless your prepared to deal with the psychological effects.

QC, I know you've been an avid outdoors person for some time. I'm sure your convinced in your mind you've never seen any evidence of anything bf related while in the great outdoors. I'd be willing to bet the bank you wouldn't know evidence if you saw it and have walked right on by it many times without giving a second thought to it. I don't mean any disrespect, it's just you haven't been trained, or had it explained to you, to know what it is your looking for, and looking at. It's tricky yes, but It's like clam digging, once you get the hang of it, it's on. It's a brand new year and spring is right around the corner. It'll be interesting to see what I find this time around. Can't wait to get back out there.

QC, I know you've been an avid outdoors person for some time. I'm sure your convinced in your mind you've never seen any evidence of anything bf related while in the great outdoors. I'd be willing to bet the bank you wouldn't know evidence if you saw it and have walked right on by it many times without giving a second thought to it. I don't mean any disrespect, it's just you haven't been trained, or had it explained to you, to know what it is your looking for, and looking at.

That wasn't a bear. It was Bigfoot. You need more training, QC.

Thank you scowl for making my point. Statements of ignorance such as those are the reason people don't share on this board. Keep up the good work.....

I'm going to guess that the lack of personal accounts here on the board probably has something more to do with a proportionality of the people who actually go into places where BF is more commonly sighted.

The ghosts threads are full of "I heard this noise/ saw this thing in my house so it must be a ghost" encounters. Well we all (or an overwhelming majority of us) live in houses of some kind, so the percentage of folks who have had both 1) heard/seen things in their houses and 2) are gullible enough to believe the noises/sights are paranormal is bound to be higher, and so there bound to be more of those folks posting on sites like this.

By the same token I would postulate that the amount of people who find themselves in situations where a bigfoot is theoretically (if you believe in the things) possible is just lower because people spend more time in houses than they do in the woods.

Also - its easier to debunk Bigfoot in my opinion because at some level Bigfoot is supposed to be an animal and so therefore governed by at least SOME of the natural laws animals are governed by. Personally its a bigger leap of faith because the logic just isn't there. I don't believe in ghosts, but its trickier to debunk them because by their very nature nobody really knows what kinds of things they are or what sort of rules they might play by. Ghosts are just easier to pretend about because there are no established rules anyway.

Furthermore I would say that the kinds of people who post in ghost threads are more likely to be sitting at home, on their butts in front of a computer, or tv, getting creeped out by the paranormal things they like to be entertained by, and so are also more likely to interpret every bump and creak as something ghostly.

People who are likely (if Bigfoot were real) to encounter bigfoot spend more time outside and less time on their keysters in front of a screen.

• Like 1

The Bigfoot Research Conservancy has an app that contains many, many reports of Bigfoot. There is also a map on which all the sightings are pegged. You can see that the bulk of the sightings occur in the wildest areas, such as deep forests and swamps. I agree with orangepeaceful79. Perhaps the people who frequent these wild places are statistically less likely to use computer enough to locate forums like this? (I don't want this to sound like stereotyping.)

The Bigfoot Research Conservancy has an app that contains many, many reports of Bigfoot. There is also a map on which all the sightings are pegged. You can see that the bulk of the sightings occur in the wildest areas, such as deep forests and swamps. I agree with orangepeaceful79. Perhaps the people who frequent these wild places are statistically less likely to use computer enough to locate forums like this? (I don't want this to sound like stereotyping.)

I think its a somewhat safe assumption. I never said they weren't capable of it, necessarily, just that outdoor endeavors tend to eat up lots of spare time, leaving less to post around here. Sure there are exceptions...look at Sakari, Evanjc, Keninsc, Rafterman, Neognosis, NightWalker, Stardrive and others I apologize for not naming. Outdoorsy folks who use computers too - several who are skeptics as well.

Bigfoot lives in the woods. In most cases deep in the woods places were man rarely travels. Thats my take.

If he does exist hes a rarity and small numbered species. Or an ET itself.

QC, I know you've been an avid outdoors person for some time. I'm sure your convinced in your mind you've never seen any evidence of anything bf related while in the great outdoors. I'd be willing to bet the bank you wouldn't know evidence if you saw it and have walked right on by it many times without giving a second thought to it. I don't mean any disrespect, it's just you haven't been trained, or had it explained to you, to know what it is your looking for, and looking at. It's tricky yes, but It's like clam digging, once you get the hang of it, it's on. It's a brand new year and spring is right around the corner. It'll be interesting to see what I find this time around. Can't wait to get back out there.

I have to agree with Stardrive here, my own "openness" to the possibility didn't come until I was less able to get out and look with my eyes open. For many years I've hiked all over the US, camped, hunted and never saw or even considered the possibility that Bigfoots were real. As a result I simply wasn't really looking for them. Now that doesn't mean had I found a ginormous, big fricking footprint, I'd have blown it off, but to be honest, I simply was never looking for them. Also when I hiked in places I often tended to stay on or very close to the trails rather than venture out. I did on occasion, but only briefly. It's a perception thing, I think. Once you start looking for the oddities, or things that don't quite look right, then you will see them. If you aren't looking then odds are you will simply not see them........now, I will point out that you do have to be careful not to see things that aren't there. A belief can distort what you're really seeing. That's not to say that Stardrive is not seeing what he's seeing. I've talked with him on the phone and I think he's on to something, because as I thought back to my own observations. I've seen much of the same things, only at the time I really didn't think too much about them other than, "Oh, that's odd. Oh well."

Please understand that not everything that seems odd is evidence of a Bigfoot, there can always be other factors that lead animals to change paths or directions, factors that might not be readily apparent to a human. We don't have the same sensory inputs that say a deer has, or a fox or a squirrel for that matter. A Bobcat or cougar could have peed on a game trail a couple months ago and deer simply smelled it and said to themselves, "That's something we was to steer clear of." And after several weeks a human isn't going to be able to detect it, but a deer will and by the time it's gone they've made a new path and that's the way they go now.

• Like 1

The psychological side once again. What happens when you play the psychological card in a debate is both sides of the argument can end up looking inadequate or weak minded in some way. I can play head games as good as the next person. I don't like going there, but it's been my observation that when all else fails the card gets played and the game is on.

Yes I've even questioned my own sanity at times, but I only go where the evidence leads me. So I end up dealing with my own mental train wrecks and revelations the best I can. I don't need assistance with slam dunk answers, I can make those up myself. I can honestly say that finding evidence of "something" unusual does have an effect on the mind, for a while anyways. I don't recommend doing what I do unless your prepared to deal with the psychological effects.

When I speak of the psychological aspect, Stardrive, I mean the "why's". As opposed to the often debated "Where are the bodies, DNA, clear photos etc". I am interested in such things as what keeps searchers out in the woods, and the less scrupulous "experts" popular and offerings such as Finding Bigfoot recruiting footers...When for a skeptic like me the odds are so stacked against it all.

As I have unashamedly said before, I have been in therapy for anxiety in the past. Enough to have purchased several small islands with my co-pays. My interest into the psychology of bigfoot belief is not to label anyone "unstable" or "crazy". Not even close.

And as far as my missing bigfoot signs in the woods, it's funny you mentioned that. As I've told before I am an invertebrate fanatic, so I am fairly good at finding the tiniest camouflaged insect in thick brush. So, I tend to go into any habitat with a tunnel vision mindset. Therefore i have probably not only missed bf sign, but stepped over his dead body to net an elusive beetle. lol

But on a more serious note, I would think any signs of such a very large hair/fur covered animal would attract the attention of outdoorspeople. And they may and do see what footers see, but come up with a different conclusion, than they are bf related. At least that would be the case sometimes I believe.

I'm going to guess that the lack of personal accounts here on the board probably has something more to do with a proportionality of the people who actually go into places where BF is more commonly sighted.

The ghosts threads are full of "I heard this noise/ saw this thing in my house so it must be a ghost" encounters. Well we all (or an overwhelming majority of us) live in houses of some kind, so the percentage of folks who have had both 1) heard/seen things in their houses and 2) are gullible enough to believe the noises/sights are paranormal is bound to be higher, and so there bound to be more of those folks posting on sites like this.

By the same token I would postulate that the amount of people who find themselves in situations where a bigfoot is theoretically (if you believe in the things) possible is just lower because people spend more time in houses than they do in the woods.

Also - its easier to debunk Bigfoot in my opinion because at some level Bigfoot is supposed to be an animal and so therefore governed by at least SOME of the natural laws animals are governed by. Personally its a bigger leap of faith because the logic just isn't there. I don't believe in ghosts, but its trickier to debunk them because by their very nature nobody really knows what kinds of things they are or what sort of rules they might play by. Ghosts are just easier to pretend about because there are no established rules anyway.

Furthermore I would say that the kinds of people who post in ghost threads are more likely to be sitting at home, on their butts in front of a computer, or tv, getting creeped out by the paranormal things they like to be entertained by, and so are also more likely to interpret every bump and creak as something ghostly.

People who are likely (if Bigfoot were real) to encounter bigfoot spend more time outside and less time on their keysters in front of a screen.

All very likely explanations. And I agree with you, as well at the same time, we do have thousands of reports put on the Internet by witnesses contacting databases, and I would think those who have witnessed bigfoot may also be the more likely searching out sites like this, not just anyone.

Bigfoot lives in the woods. In most cases deep in the woods places were man rarely travels. Thats my take.

If he does exist hes a rarity and small numbered species. Or an ET itself.

Didn't the member who categorized BFRO database sightings conclude most were road crossings, not hikers or hunters. ** I may remember that wrong***

but still a lot of sightings are roadside or road crossings by motorists not your remote woodsman/woman.

Edited by QuiteContrary

As I have unashamedly said before, I have been in therapy for anxiety in the past. Enough to have purchased several small islands with my co-pays. My interest into the psychology of bigfoot belief is not to label anyone "unstable" or "crazy". Not even close.

I don't think anyone got the impression the thread was about calling people crazy for having either seen or thought they'd seen a Bigfoot. Now, having said that, there is a prevalent mentality that many people have any more that seems to suggest that they'll accept anything you say and absolute Gospel without any sort of proof or verification. All you have to do is say Bigfoot is the Daddy to your baby and they believe it. Ok, maybe not that, but you get what I'm saying. In fact there are some boards on the web if you even suggest you might be in the least skeptical they'll toss you out on your ear. I left the BFRO forum because I had the audacity to question a report one of their anointed field researchers put out. In short order I got not one, not two but three emails telling me to knock it off or face the possibility of excommunication from the Board. I opted to leave on my own after that. And it wasn't like I said, "Aw you're full of...........!" or anything like that, I simply thought the footprints looked like a double bear print. To which I was told in no short order that there were no bear in Washington state........huh? And especially in Eastern Washington. As it happened I've hiked in that very region of eastern Washington and can attest to the fact that there are bear warning signs posted throughout the Park I was in and even I saw bear print in there.

Now while I'm hardly an expert of the migratory habits of the Grizzly bear in North America, I can read signs and I can recognize bear tracks.........oh, and I'm not crazy. Ok, that's a lie, I am a little crazy, but it's from dealing with idiots and know-it-alls.

I don't think anyone got the impression the thread was about calling people crazy for having either seen or thought they'd seen a Bigfoot. Now, having said that, there is a prevalent mentality that many people have any more that seems to suggest that they'll accept anything you say and absolute Gospel without any sort of proof or verification. All you have to do is say Bigfoot is the Daddy to your baby and they believe it. Ok, maybe not that, but you get what I'm saying. In fact there are some boards on the web if you even suggest you might be in the least skeptical they'll toss you out on your ear. I left the BFRO forum because I had the audacity to question a report one of their anointed field researchers put out. In short order I got not one, not two but three emails telling me to knock it off or face the possibility of excommunication from the Board. I opted to leave on my own after that. And it wasn't like I said, "Aw you're full of...........!" or anything like that, I simply thought the footprints looked like a double bear print. To which I was told in no short order that there were no bear in Washington state........huh? And especially in Eastern Washington. As it happened I've hiked in that very region of eastern Washington and can attest to the fact that there are bear warning signs posted throughout the Park I was in and even I saw bear print in there.

Now while I'm hardly an expert of the migratory habits of the Grizzly bear in North America, I can read signs and I can recognize bear tracks.........oh, and I'm not crazy. Ok, that's a lie, I am a little crazy, but it's from dealing with idiots and know-it-alls.

I was replying to this quote of Stardrive's from his post #31 *snip*

"What happens when you play the psychological card in a debate is both sides of the argument can end up looking inadequate or weak minded in some way."

If I misinterpreted, I apologize, Stardrive.

Ive been to the bigfoot store near mt. Rainier and looked out the window into the woods all the way down the washington coast to oregon telling scary stories about bf to the frightened children in the backseat but thats about it. :/ sorry. But.. if I did see bigfoot.. I would tell you about it..

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

Guess i will break the ice on this one Then, normally i don't talk about this because i have no witnesses or evidence, and especially i don't like being called specific names that people seem to use on sightings and visions and such.. Back in the early eighties I went target shooting regularly in the Mts near the sulton basin in wa. state ( back beforethe locals started showing up and standing next to the targets you were using in the sandpits you were using for the practise ) on one specific day i was target practising with my 30-06 I went through about 30 rounds and then i noticed movement out of the corner of my eye so I scoped in on the movement.

there was a face, covered in sort of orangy brown fur looking at me from the top right side of the sand pit.. I stared for what seemed several minutes before it sunk through my thick skull what i was appearently looking at. My first thought was my God a bigfoot, My second thought was one million dollars bounty ( i had heard somewhere that once apon a time there was a bounty on a bigfoot dead or alive) and instead of pulling the trigger I set the rifle down. we stared at each other for another moment then it pulled back and vanished into the forest.

with it now gone i grabed the rifle and went to investigate, i found nothing, no foot prints, to hair, no stench, nothing to indicate anything had been there the only thing i noticed was that when i tried to measure how tall the thing was ( i was 5 10 at the time ) i required my rifle to reach the branch that the head had been next to. Holding the rifle just behind the trigger guard I was just barely able to touch that branch.

Suddenly i got cold chills and returned to the car and left. I was sure that i just saw a real bigfoot and remained sure for a couple year, until the night i saw the movie harry and the hendersons. when they showed harry in the pool grinning I lost it for awhile because That was the face i saw looing back at me.

I was sober, I did not use drugs, and i don't believe that someone would walk through the woods in a bigfoot costume out in the middle of nowhere just for the fun of it,especially not when someone is target shooting with a large bore rifle. Whatever i saw is lucky i didn't shoot it as i considered it for several seconds before putting down the rifle. and as a hunter who has been in touching distance of a black bear several time ( reach out and touch it distance) over the years I Know it was not a bear.

edited for spelling

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

Guess i will break the ice on this one Then, normally i don't talk about this because i have no witnesses or evidence, and especially i don't like being called specific names that people seem to use on sightings and visions and such.. Back in the early eighties I went target shooting regularly in the Mts near the sulton basin in wa. state ( back beforethe locals started showing up and standing next to the targets you were using in the sandpits you were using for the practise ) on one specific day i was target practising with my 30-06 I went through about 30 rounds and then i noticed movement out of the corner of my eye so I scoped in on the movement.

there was a face, covered in sort of orangy brown fur looking at me from the top right side of the sand pit.. I stared for what seemed several minutes before it sunk through my thick skull what i was appearently looking at. My first thought was my God a bigfoot, My second thought was one million dollars bounty ( i had heard somewhere that once apon a time there was a bounty on a bigfoot dead or alive) and instead of pulling the trigger I set the rifle down. we stared at each other for another moment then it pulled back and vanished into the forest.

with it now gone i grabed the rifle and went to investigate, i found nothing, no foot prints, to hair, no stench, nothing to indicate anything had been there the only thing i noticed was that when i tried to measure how tall the thing was ( i was 5 10 at the time ) i required my rifle to reach the branch that the head had been next to. Holding the rifle just behind the trigger guard I was just barely able to touch that branch.

Suddenly i got cold chills and returned to the car and left. I was sure that i just saw a real bigfoot and remained sure for a couple year, until the night i saw the movie harry and the hendersons. when they showed harry in the pool grinning I lost it for awhile because That was the face i saw looing back at me.

I was sober, I did not use drugs, and i don't believe that someone would walk through the woods in a bigfoot costume out in the middle of nowhere just for the fun of it,especially not when someone is target shooting with a large bore rifle. Whatever i saw is lucky i didn't shoot it as i considered it for several seconds before putting down the rifle. and as a hunter who has been in touching distance of a black bear several time ( reach out and touch it distance) over the years I Know it was not a bear.

edited for spelling

Thank you for sharing, mysticwerewolf! :tu:

I can't tell you what you saw or even guess.

Have you found others in that area that have had similar experiences?

Did you ever go back?

Why do you think you didn't pull the trigger?

Were you afraid at all, either during the encounter or after it sank in?

Did it make any sound?

And you are still convinced today?

How did it change you?

These are the why's I am interested in more and more. Even if I do not believe this creature inhabits our land, without concrete evidence, I enjoy hearing encounters from average people, they are interesting to me.

I am not hoping for more people to share their encounters on UM, so I can tell them what they saw and that it wasn't a bigfoot.

Also, these encounters fuel that lingering speck of hope in my breast that one day...one day...

Edited by QuiteContrary

I've been a member on here since early 2004 and back then there were an equal number of people on both sides of the sassy debate. I use to post quite a bit when our or my encounters happened. We use to have good discussions.

I left for a few years due to kids and such and when I returned UM had completely changed, a lot of the good people were gone. They were fed up with the one sided crap and hammering people were copping and boy did I soon learn all about that.

I come on here now and again but get sick of *certain members - snip*

I guess that's one of the reasons I don't share anymore, plus my beliefs have changed with the knowledge I've learnt. I'm also studying 2 major courses atm and trying to complete them as quickly as possible so rarely look at any forum any more but felt I wanted to answer this question.

QC I did give you honest answers when you wanted to play the make believe game I didn't guess any of that, it's what I've learnt after years of involvement with our guys.

Also besides being hammered just for saying you've seen something, imagine what one would cop if they revealed all they knew? I would be more then willing to sit a lie detector test to prove I'm telling the truth I have nothing to hide if it would prove once and for all I've been honest all along. One day I'd like to write it all down so that my youngest will remember it all, at her age I'm worried she may forget some things and it's such an amazing and special journey we have all been on that would be a sad loss.

I hope you do get people willing to come forward but I doubt it.

Edited by Paranoid Android
Removed references to individual members - that's just going to inflame situations

I have made it a personal policy not to question the regular posters bigfoot encounters as I have in the past, for a couple of reasons;

1. I honestly like and respect most of them, and would rather keep them around. After all what good is a discussion, when all you have is one point of view to talk about?

2. They tend to get a bit defensive when you start asking the hard questions which is understandable...I guess. I suppose I can come off as a bit harsh and direct with the way I question these stories sometimes, but I spent most of my adult life in a military unit where direct and pointed communication was a cultural norm and necessity. One thing I have learned and am still learning is that this type of communication is not received very well in the civilian world.

• Like 1

Care to elaborate on the nature of the sign you are referencing SD? I do agree attention to detail (a calibrated eye) is key when observing nature, but knowledge of what exactly it is you are observing can be very subtle. I do consider myself an excellent observer and very knowledgeable of wildlife and their habits, and somewhat of a decent tracker. But I aint no Dannel Boone so please share...what is it I am missing out there?

Care to elaborate on the nature of the sign you are referencing SD? I do agree attention to detail (a calibrated eye) is key when observing nature, but knowledge of what exactly it is you are observing can be very subtle. I do consider myself an excellent observer and very knowledgeable of wildlife and their habits, and somewhat of a decent tracker. But I aint no Dannel Boone so please share...what is it I am missing out there?

I have the same question.