Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No Such Thing As ACCIDENTS

soulpowertothenthdegree

People are so quick to use the word "ACCIDENT" when referring to events that occur daily.

I maintain that there is no such thing.

They happen because of bad judgement decisions.

The car, the gun, the hospital, the school yard playground, etc.

Call them what the are; STUPID FREE WILL CHOICES.

Babies have accidents.

Driving down the road being distracted by your radio, best friend texting you, wife screaming at you on the cell phone, making a business transaction by blue tooth, putting your make-up on, those 10 beers you had before you got in the car, the drugs you did before you got in the car, speeding and tailgating are not accidental...they were/are on purpose FREE WILL decisions that led/lead to a family of 4 being killed (one possible scenario).

The decisions we make that affect others lives are not accidents. The "ACCIDENT" is only the beginning to the immense pain and suffering by all those involved.

The lady who was so vain she decided plastic surgery would be a smart choice and dies. Is that an accident. No.

The parent who is supervising the child at the playground and not paying attention while the child decides to swing one handed from a monkey bar and crashes to the ground breaking their arm and sustaining a head injury that requires medical attention. No.

The parent who leaves a loaded weapon where it is accessible to a curious child/teen only to come home from work one day to find that child/teen had located said weapon and discharged it "ACCIDENTALLY" killing a friend or shooting themselves. No.

None of these incidents are "ACCIDENTS". They do, however, all have consequences from free will choices made by more than one individual at any given time. It usually takes more than one person to be involved for there to be an "ACCIDENT" of any kind, but individual decisions have to occur first.

I have "ACCIDENTALLY" cut myself with a knife, smashed my finger with a hammer, dropped a plate of food, hurt my back lifting something heavy, received tickets( though two in 25 years), been electrified from a light switch, fell off a roof, been hit in the head with a board, rear-ended in 2 car wrecks by people on cell phones, given an infection that almost killed me in a hospital from poor sanitation/sterilization procedures, 7 knee surgeries from various incidents and I can say without a doubt they were all avoidable and in no way were they "ACCIDENTAL".

Call them "ON PURPOSES" because that is what they are.

Soul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ soulpowertothenthdegree: I agree with you totally. A lot more people need to exercise forethought a lot more often, and admit they are responsible when they cause these 'accidents'.

• Like 1

Yeah, no kidding Lady K. It is usually easier to read things when they aren't all done up in a lot of colors though.

There may not be any accidents but there sure are a lot of I didn't do it a-purpouses.....

I have to agree that a lot of accidents are the direct results of choices, sometimes shortsighted or foolish ones. I don't think that nullifies them as accidents.

There have been some wonderful accidents in science. People making choices to try to do something, and accidentally come up with something else.

• Like 2

@ soulpowertothenthdegree: I agree with you totally. A lot more people need to exercise forethought a lot more often, and admit they are responsible when they cause these 'accidents'.

I had an accident on my motorcycle. Driving around an intersection at less than 40kph when the front wheel hit a deep layer of gravel that streched from one side of the road to the other. The bike went down straight away, not much i could do about it. It was an accident, but maybe with some underlying issues. No road maintenace? I wasn't familiar with this particular road and how much the gravel builds up in certain parts.

What would you call this incident? i was 60kph under the speed limit taking all the care I could.

• Like 1

It was on purpose because you chose to drive a completely unsafe motorcycle. ;):P

Edited by Lady Kasey
  • Like 1

I had an accident on my motorcycle. Driving around an intersection at less than 40kph when the front wheel hit a deep layer of gravel that streched from one side of the road to the other. The bike went down straight away, not much i could do about it. It was an accident, but maybe with some underlying issues. No road maintenace? I wasn't familiar with this particular road and how much the gravel builds up in certain parts.

What would you call this incident? i was 60kph under the speed limit taking all the care I could.

It was on purpose because you chose to drive a completely unsafe motorcycle. ;):P

Haha! Okay, I don't agree totally with the OP ..... of course there are such things as accidents, just not nearly as many as people like to make out. (Not sure why you're addressing me rather than the OP, but that's fine).

But, joking aside, there's something in what Lady Kasey says: you aren't nearly as safe on a motorbike as you are in a car; presumably a car would have driven over the gravel patch, no problem? But to say you knew that and then connect it to the incident you mention and claim it wasn't an accident would be a stretching things a lot.

• Like 2

If you ever hit some with your car ..perhaps even kill them be sure to tell the coppers and the family you done it on purpose

An accident is unintended, so poor choices lead them them. To try to call an accident something else is false in my opinion. None of us is that aware every moment of our lives that we could forstall making bad choices. Defensive driving for instances is important because when a driver makes a bad choice, if I am alert, I can stop an accident. The same goes for me if I make a bad thoughtless move when driving, someone alert and defensive will save me and themselves from tragedy.

Good question, drop the rainbow LOL......

Peace

mark

Edited by markdohle

Just because you people are to lazy to use different colors does not mean I have to listen to your mindless drivel about my choice of rainbow.

Stupid people make stupid decisions that lead to stupid ACCIDENTS.

If you trip over your shoelace because you didnt know it was untied, it wasn't an accident because you chose laces instead of velcro?

• Like 1

This is the sort of black and white thinking that follows the same logic as a person dying of cancer because the didn't think positively enough. Accidents can be prevented 100 percent of the time, if everyone did everything perfectly. Unfortunately we are not.... Or fortunately we are imperfect. Can you imagine how much we would NOT know if there were no accidents?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People are so quick to use the word "ACCIDENT" when referring to events that occur daily.

I happen to agree with the above statement, however I simply have different reasoning for such.

Also, ya might wanna hold back on some of the bold coloring dude. If this were a children's website then sure, but for us adults it has a bit of an opposite effect to the "attention grabbing mechanism" I assume you're attempting to to do.

This is the sort of black and white thinking that follows the same logic as a person dying of cancer because the didn't think positively enough. Accidents can be prevented 100 percent of the time, if everyone did everything perfectly. Unfortunately we are not.... Or fortunately we are imperfect. Can you imagine how much we would NOT know if there were no accidents?

I'm not quite sure where you are coming from, but if you mean we should not assert that with enough positive thinking cancer and so on can be dealt with, then I agree.

But you said right in the title: "there are no accidents", are you saying that because events can be prevented if proper care is taken that victims are "stupid"?

Aren't you blaming the victim?

Wow, the arrogance here is stunning: "too lazy", "mindless drivel", and false conclusions, because I know smart people who've had accidents. In fact, I don't know anyone who hasn't caused an accident of one magnitude or another at some time in their lives, but I don't judge them using an accident factor. FYI, here's the definition of stupid: Lacking intelligence or common sense. I don't think you can put all the people who've caused accidents into either of these categories.

Not all accidents are stupid or bad... Some are good too. A lot of scientific discoveries were accidents. People have fortunate accidents too in their regular lives.

• Like 1

An old woman rear-ended me, years ago, at 70+ miles per hour..sure..that was, like, totally my fault even though she was driving using her sisters license and claimed she didn't see me even though I was right in front of her.

Oh yeah...it must've been my fault because at the same time I was busy slowing down and trying to move out of the way when a car pulled out in front of me at a snails pace then stopped to make an illegal u-turn.

Yup..totally my fault for being 'inattentive'

Oh.and this all took place when I was going 50 miles per hour which was the speed limit so the old woman was speeding too.

Edited by Ryu

I have a friend who sort of believes this way. If I have an accident of any sort, he will start off with "You should have..."

Soulpower, how could I have avoided the accident of hitting my thumb with a hammer while I was placing molding on a wall?

Soul

And I shall re-itterate my account..An old woman rear-ended me, years ago, at 70+ miles per hour..sure..that was, like, totally my fault even though she was driving using her sisters license and claimed she didn't see me even though I was right in front of her.

Oh yeah...it must've been my fault because at the same time I was busy slowing down and trying to move out of the way when a car pulled out in front of me at a snails pace then stopped to make an illegal u-turn.

Yup..totally my fault for being 'inattentive' as I tried to avoid rear ending someone else.

Oh.and this all took place when I was going 50 miles per hour which was the speed limit so the old woman was speeding

So please, oh wise one, tell me how I did all of this on purpose? Huh? Tell me how a school full of children being shot up is somehow their fault? Huh? Tell me that one oh platitude spewing one!

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

The so called accidents, they are not accidental.oh wait !!! His face came against my hand , that’s why he have a black eye . A child is full of bruises in their arms and legs, yes he/she they’re so clumsy!!!!!! (Not really) he fell all the time. The spouse that have hematomas all over their body, she was sleep walking and she went against the door.So many more in the world. It will keep happening  if someone doesn’t stand up and talk and do something about.

Edited by Daisieduke
Wrong word

On 07/02/2013 at 11:14 PM, LEGIONS said:

If you ever hit some with your car ..perhaps even kill them be sure to tell the coppers and the family you done it on purpose

I see your point, but agree more with the op on this example. This would not have happened if the driver had been more careful.

Or....the victim could be at fault for running out into the road.

We call them accidents, but so many could have been avoided.

On 08/02/2013 at 9:52 PM, Ryu said:

And I shall re-itterate my account..An old woman rear-ended me, years ago, at 70+ miles per hour..sure..that was, like, totally my fault even though she was driving using her sisters license and claimed she didn't see me even though I was right in front of her.

Yup..totally my fault for being 'inattentive' as I tried to avoid rear ending someone else.

Oh.and this all took place when I was going 50 miles per hour which was the speed limit so the old woman was speeding

So please, oh wise one, tell me how I did all of this on purpose? Huh? Tell me how a school full of children being shot up is somehow their fault? Huh? Tell me that one oh platitude spewing one!

Totally agree...you had an accident.

Many a time a victim can say they were involved in a accident when they were not at fault, and that would be an = accident, but for the person who caused it.....it was bad driving.

They caused the incident which resulted in the victim having an accident. 

I see so many bad drivers on the road today and all i think about is that a careful driver could have an accident because of someone elses stupidity.

Edited by freetoroam

Just noticed it a necro thread. 

Sorry, that was no accident, just did not read the dates.

Just now, freetoroam said:

Just noticed it a necro thread. 

Sorry, that was no accident, just did not read the dates.

Not the worst necropost I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No such thing as accidents huh ?    I guess that means no one has ever tripped and fell down.   Good to know.

On February 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM, soulpowertothenthdegree said:

They happen because of bad judgement decisions.

The car, the gun, the hospital, the school yard playground, etc.

Call them what the are; STUPID FREE WILL CHOICES.

Babies have accidents.

Driving down the road being distracted by your radio, best friend texting you, wife screaming at you on the cell phone, making a business transaction by blue tooth, putting your make-up on, those 10 beers you had before you got in the car, the drugs you did before you got in the car, speeding and tailgating are not accidental...they were/are on purpose FREE WILL decisions that led/lead to a family of 4 being killed (one possible scenario).

The decisions we make that affect others lives are not accidents. The "ACCIDENT" is only the beginning to the immense pain and suffering by all those involved.

The lady who was so vain she decided plastic surgery would be a smart choice and dies. Is that an accident. No.

The parent who is supervising the child at the playground and not paying attention while the child decides to swing one handed from a monkey bar and crashes to the ground breaking their arm and sustaining a head injury that requires medical attention. No.

The parent who leaves a loaded weapon where it is accessible to a curious child/teen only to come home from work one day to find that child/teen had located said weapon and discharged it "ACCIDENTALLY" killing a friend or shooting themselves. No.

None of these incidents are "ACCIDENTS". They do, however, all have consequences from free will choices made by more than one individual at any given time. It usually takes more than one person to be involved for there to be an "ACCIDENT" of any kind, but individual decisions have to occur first.

I have "ACCIDENTALLY" cut myself with a knife, smashed my finger with a hammer, dropped a plate of food, hurt my back lifting something heavy, received tickets( though two in 25 years), been electrified from a light switch, fell off a roof, been hit in the head with a board, rear-ended in 2 car wrecks by people on cell phones, given an infection that almost killed me in a hospital from poor sanitation/sterilization procedures, 7 knee surgeries from various incidents and I can say without a doubt they were all avoidable and in no way were they "ACCIDENTAL".

Soul

So , that almost impossible for me to read font was on purpose ! ?