Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robin Hood-did he exist?

ali smack

As a native of Nottinghamshire, I am bound to say that he was 100% real!

Yes, Robin was real and so was the sheriff. Guess which one came from Yorkshire and which one came from Nottingham. :yes:

Clue: it wasn't Robin Hood who came from Nottingham.

Edited by 0lly

Something most people don't realize (and usually don't want to realize -- not romantic enough) is that mythical cycles (individual myths are rare -- they are usually clusters of myths centered around a single individual or single event) can arise from whole cloth in a generation or two, with utterly no historical foundation.

You do not need actual people or actual events to start a mythical cycle. Field anthropologists have demonstrated this many times studying oral societies.

This fact and the fact that any myths one has will have been altered immensely even if they have history under them renders searches for any historical root a considerable waste of time.

Something most people don't realize (and usually don't want to realize -- not romantic enough) is that mythical cycles (individual myths are rare -- they are usually clusters of myths centered around a single individual or single event) can arise from whole cloth in a generation or two, with utterly no historical foundation.

You do not need actual people or actual events to start a mythical cycle. Field anthropologists have demonstrated this many times studying oral societies.

This fact and the fact that any myths one has will have been altered immensely even if they have history under them renders searches for any historical root a considerable waste of time.

I assume you did not read #24 where I said a pardon had been found?

That did not impress me. It could be coincidence, fraud, or just an invention. I'm not saying someone with such a name might not have existed, but that the stories do not need a historical core to get started.

That did not impress me. It could be coincidence, fraud, or just an invention. I'm not saying someone with such a name might not have existed, but that the stories do not need a historical core to get started.

I won't argue with that, I'm just sorry you feel unable to accept that some myths, like childrens nursary rhymes even, are based on real events.

You are putting words into my mouth and I don't appreciate it. Myths can have a historical kernel, but I only say it is a waste of time to try to find out.

You are putting words into my mouth and I don't appreciate it. Myths can have a historical kernel, but I only say it is a waste of time to try to find out.

I agree it would be a waste of time if you were not sucessful.

Unfortunately web sites exist that prove or disprove almost any hypothesis.

Unfortunately web sites exist that prove or disprove almost any hypothesis.

This is a website with a difference, unlike other web sites, this is the only one that has a contemporary reference to him, which is something that is required by academics and historians.

Edited by 0lly

I'm underwhelmed. I don't care to bother with all the possible reasons for why this is meaningless, perhaps because it would be a long list and because obviously you are such a believer it would be a waste of my time.

It dosn't matter if it's true or false..

It's a fable that ends up a good morality tale for our times.

However it's one of the first signs of communism I've seen.

You must have missed the Book of Acts then. The early Christians were very communistic.

You must have missed the Book of Acts then. The early Christians were very communistic.

For a very short period, and we have no reason to believe that the book of Acts is historical; as a source it is too full of wonder stories.

Well I guess they were just a bunch of Hoodies running around in Sherwood Forest causing all kinds of mayhem with Robin as their leader,that fat old git Tuck the local vicar, and John Little the heavy, with Much the miller supplying the bread.Not forgetting Maid Marion (you gotta have a girl in the story),she was Robins girl friend who spied on the local Sheriff, who was a right maniac.