Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jodi Arias Trial

docyabut2

A friend of mine who used to work in the justice system says "religion is the first refuge of every rogue" meaning when they go to jail, all of a sudden they've "seen the light". Yeah, right.

Remember Paris Hilton when she went to jail? She claimed she'd suddenly 'seen the light' ......... even clutched a bible prominently whenever there were cameras around!

To add to your 'religion is the first refuge of every rogue' quote, my non-religious boss at the time said ' people turn to religion when they've got nothing else in their life' ..... I think that's true too.

• Like 3

Been offline a couple of days, now catching up with comments. The jury followed the letter of the law and applied it as directed, she met all the criteria, the end! Not too surprised at the current drama going on with her though. This gal is a fighter, a very calculated one. I also think the jury will find for the DP. Notwithstanding her statements about preferring death, I don't truly believe this. She certainly qualifies under the parameters of aggravation findings... she dealt three separate death blows to TA. Cruel, heinous, depraved. Since they found for premeditation, not much of a leap to the DP, IMO. The jury won't be privy to the stuff going on with her now will they? They are no longer sequestered apparently.

While I don't support the DP, this gal worked so hard to earn the position she's in right now. RIP Jodi Arias.

Edited by Leftcoastgal
  • Like 1

Remember Paris Hilton when she went to jail? She claimed she'd suddenly 'seen the light' ......... even clutched a bible prominently whenever there were cameras around!

To add to your 'religion is the first refuge of every rogue' quote, my non-religious boss at the time said ' people turn to religion when they've got nothing else in their life' ..... I think that's true too.

I hear ya ouija. However, I do consider myself a Christian, although a friend of mine has a point I think when he says, "don't tell me you're a Christian, show me".

She was almost 30 & had never committed a murder before, so what made Travis different from all the other guys? What made her go psycho and kill him and not the others?

• Like 1

She was almost 30 & had never committed a murder before, so what made Travis different from all the other guys? What made her go psycho and kill him and not the others?

Had never committed a murder that we knew about anyway...sorry, I'm a cynical old f*rt I guess.

• Like 2

Had never committed a murder that we knew about anyway...sorry, I'm a cynical old f*rt I guess.

Well, Gummug, I guess I am a cynical old fart, too, because I agree with you - she may not have ever killed anyone, but I bet she was prone to screaming-hitting-throwing things-destructive hissy fits on a regular basis, throughout her life, whenever she didn't get HER way. I also think, blueberrycakes, that her closing in on 30 was significant and made this relationship with Travis different. I think she wanted to hook him into marriage and didn't want to see that he was just using her for sex. She finally saw that he really was moving on, going on vacation with another woman, etc. She sees she is losing her meal ticket. One of the guys she used to date said she wanted everything and wanted it without putting too much effort into getting it. So she makes an effort with Travis (well, Travis' money potential) - becoming Mormon, attending functions for the religion, etc., and expected him to give her what she wanted in return. But she can't accept responsibility for her own actions and can't accept that a lot of people see through her manipulations and lies. She is her own worst enemy and destroys the very thing she wanted - Travis on a leash, his money in her pocket, his contacts and friends under her juridiction. So, bam, travis must die because its HIS fault she couldn't get HER way, in her twtsted way of thinking. R.I.P. Arias - Rot In Prison.

Edited by boos2u
  • Like 3

Generally speaking, it's a particular pathology in combination with particular circumstances which can lead to murder.

Janeen DeMarte- expert witness for the prosecution, described Arias' psycho-psychological profile in the rebuttal phase of the trial, Day 48, and for each point of the profile, she explained how Arias' behavior showed to support her diagnosis.

Demarte testified that the clinical scales from her testing of Arias were "interesting" in that Arias showed to be above the threshold in 7 of the symptoms. (Only 5 symptoms would need to be met to diagnose a personality disorder.)

DeMarte described characteristics of 'aggressiveness', 'hostility', and 'defensive', and those characteristics aren't displayed outwardly. Also, blame is externalized, and can lead to "violent, seething outbursts."

(DeMarte stated that 'seething' is how it's described in the literature.)

Two symptoms I found probably most interesting are 'identity disturbance' and 'unstable and intense interpersonal relationships'. Re: the former symptom, Arias changes who she is according to who is in her environment, and re: the latter symptom, there's the characteristic to either idealize or despise, and the tendency to switch between the two.

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

Well, Gummug, I guess I am a cynical old fart, too, because I agree with you - she may not have ever killed anyone, but I bet she was prone to screaming-hitting-throwing things-destructive hissy fits on a regular basis, throughout her life, whenever she didn't get HER way. I also think, blueberrycakes, that her closing in on 30 was significant and made this relationship with Travis different. I think she wanted to hook him into marriage and didn't want to see that he was just using her for sex. She finally saw that he really was moving on, going on vacation with another woman, etc. She sees she is losing her meal ticket. One of the guys she used to date said she wanted everything and wanted it without putting too much effort into getting it. So she makes an effort with Travis (well, Travis' money potential) - becoming Mormon, attending functions for the religion, etc., and expected him to give her what she wanted in return. But she can't accept responsibility for her own actions and can't accept that a lot of people see through her manipulations and lies. She is her own worst enemy and destroys the very thing she wanted - Travis on a leash, his money in her pocket, his contacts and friends under her juridiction. So, bam, travis must die because its HIS fault she couldn't get HER way, in her twtsted way of thinking. R.I.P. Arias - Rot In Prison.

Great post. I agree w/ you.

I was surprised to learn that Arias was a high school dropout & lived with her grandparents in such a small home; IMO Jodi looked like she would have a bit more going for herself, like a decent job making a respectable salary. She didn't come across as a genius but she seemed intelligent enough to at least have a college degree or some type of vocational skill to support herself. Does anyone know more about her upbringing? Like why didn't she complete high school or have any stability in her life? Maybe she thought she could coast off of her looks and marry rich??

I think Travis wanted a girl who had a bit more going for herself than just being 'pretty' which is why he decided to move on.

Edited by blueberrycakes
  • Like 1

I love all the psychoanalysis pondering the big questions about Jodi's life. Any kid who has parents and doesn't finish high school has lame parents who didn't drop the hammer down on him/her appropriately.

Travis doesn't want a pretty Mormon who's "hott like a 12-year old school girl having her first orgasm"? That's not what the evidence shows. It shows that he used her like a hole. I would think the old cynical farts would agree that sex before marriage causes problems. I doubt people even understand the importance of that restraint anymore they're so far gone. I know of many real life instances where women scorned freaked out and committed criminal property damage against their men. Some got in trouble some didn't. The point is whether what their men did to them was illegal or not didn't matter, it was wrong. It'll be a miracle the day we get every instance of right and wrong codified in our law. We're a lying, cheating, hurting society. Perhaps the greatest lie was Travis leading her on. "We just met and you're changing your religion already.....duhhhhh okay!"

• Like 1

Jodi and Travis were in a casual sexual relationship. She consented to it. I don't think he used her at all. Since they were having rear entry sex were they using protection? And was Travis a virgin prior to meeting her?

Edited by blueberrycakes

Jodi and Travis were in a casual sexual relationship. She consented to it. I don't think he used her at all. Since they were having rear entry sex were they using protection? And was Travis a virgin prior to meeting her?

Did he at least stimulate her clitorally to orgasm or was the sexual relationship purely about his orgasms?

Generally speaking, it's a particular pathology in combination with particular circumstances which can lead to murder.

Janeen DeMarte- expert witness for the prosecution, described Arias' psycho-psychological profile in the rebuttal phase of the trial, Day 48, and for each point of the profile, she explained how Arias' behavior showed to support her diagnosis.

Demarte testified that the clinical scales from her testing of Arias were "interesting" in that Arias showed to be above the threshold in 7 of the symptoms. (Only 5 symptoms would need to be met to diagnose a personality disorder.)

DeMarte described characteristics of 'aggressiveness', 'hostility', and 'defensive', and those characteristics aren't displayed outwardly. Also, blame is externalized, and can lead to "violent, seething outbursts."

(DeMarte stated that 'seething' is how it's described in the literature.)

Two symptoms I found probably most interesting are 'identity disturbance' and 'unstable and intense interpersonal relationships'. Re: the former symptom, Arias changes who she is according to who is in her environment, and re: the latter symptom, there's the characteristic to either idealize or despise, and the tendency to switch between the two.

So it sounds like boos2u is dead on when she said "Travis must die because it was HIS fault she didn't get what she wanted."

edited 'cuz sometimes I'm a dingbat.

Edited by Gummug

So it sounds like boos2u is dead on when she said "Travis must die because it was HIS fault she didn't get what she wanted."

Well, it was clearly apparent in Arias' testimony that Arias externalizes blame, and I have no doubt that she assigned/assigns blame to Alexander.

DeMarte explained that that's how Arias conceptualizes and justifies her behavior.

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

Arias lawyers wanted to withdraw but were denied

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press | May 16, 2013 | Updated: May 16, 2013 10:34am

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Arias-lawyers-wanted-to-withdraw-but-were-denied-4520865.php

The article doesn't offer much in the way of detail or explanation, but it's not the first time Nurmi in particular has requested reassignment from this case. JA's press conference minutes after her conviction was so bizarre it defies all attempts to understand it within normal parameters. Guess that's key, isn't it..."normal"? She clearly isn't crazy but she's a long long way from resembling normal. I still lean to the jury finding for the DP. They have been astute in following letter of the law and if ever a case met the criteria, this one does. Unless some earth shattering mitigation is presented at the last phase, the jury will send her to death row. I really believe this now that we've seen them deliver the conviction for 1st degree/premeditated, diligently applying the instructions as provided them by the court.

JA's mother was overheard, when the verdict was read, as having said "this is the beginning of the end". I hope she has a strong spiritual connection to help her get through this.

I still don't see the DP bing used in this case. It's a young woman. That'll be enought to stop the DP.

Granted, it's much more unusual for convicted women to get the DP, but it does happen. There are two women in AZ right now that are on death row, according to something I heard yesterday. Eileen Wernos (so?) who was the subject of the movie "Monster" was about the same age as JA and she was put to death. Unless the defense team are going to pull a rabbit out off a hat, I have heard nothing about JA's past that suggests a single mitigating factor. I really think JA's goose is cooked--unless she really does want to get the DP.

I heard something today that raised a question: Travis Alexander went unfound for a long time. How long was it before he was discovered, and why ?

After she's put to death, is the angry mob so ghoulish with that DP-fever finally going to chill out? Can we then fist pump the end of this catastrophic waste of time and move on to the next cutie patootie? :D

• Like 1

I heard something today that raised a question: Travis Alexander went unfound for a long time. How long was it before he was discovered, and why ?

Alexander was murdered on June 4th, and his body was discovered June 9th.

His trip to Cancun with Mimi Hall was scheduled for June 10th.

When Mimi Hall and other friends of Alexander's had been unable to reach him, they got together and went knocking on his door.

One of Alexander's roommates was home watching a movie with his girlfriend (now his wife) and he said he assumed Alexander had already left on the trip.

The impression I have is that Alexander and the two roommates simply didn't inform one another of each others plans and schedules.

I think that since Alexander's car was there and that his bedroom door was locked, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that Alexander had left the home by some other means.

I think any alarm from the roommates over those four days wouldn't have been necessarily logical.

Re: those close to Alexander, I think it's most likely that if anyone was concerned, they obviously gave the situation the benefit of the doubt.

Re: his family, I believe Alexander was the only member of his family to live in Arizona.

Edited by regi
  • Like 2

Thanks for filling me in Regi. That's weird he was in there the whole time and no one knew. How was Jodi able to lock the door from outside the room? Oh, you are right; Travis A. was the only sibling to live in Ariz.

Thanks for filling me in Regi.

My pleasure. :tu:

How was Jodi able to lock the door from outside the room?

I doubt she did...I doubt it was necessary to use a key to lock the door...surely it could be locked from the inside. It must have been an ordinary interior door lock, except that it took a key to unlock from the outside. (Those sort of locks are usually used on exterior doors.)

I neglected to add earlier that the roommate said that they kept spare keys downstairs somewhere, and that it was with one of those that they were able to unlock the door.

Arias lawyers wanted to withdraw but were denied

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press | May 16, 2013 | Updated: May 16, 2013 10:34am

http://www.chron.com...ied-4520865.php

The article doesn't offer much in the way of detail or explanation, but it's not the first time Nurmi in particular has requested reassignment from this case. JA's press conference minutes after her conviction was so bizarre it defies all attempts to understand it within normal parameters. Guess that's key, isn't it..."normal"? She clearly isn't crazy but she's a long long way from resembling normal. I still lean to the jury finding for the DP. They have been astute in following letter of the law and if ever a case met the criteria, this one does. Unless some earth shattering mitigation is presented at the last phase, the jury will send her to death row. I really believe this now that we've seen them deliver the conviction for 1st degree/premeditated, diligently applying the instructions as provided them by the court.

JA's mother was overheard, when the verdict was read, as having said "this is the beginning of the end". I hope she has a strong spiritual connection to help her get through this.

First, after 5+ months of seeing JA for the sociopath that she is, does it truly surprise you that JA arranged the interview? And, for the record, JA's mother did NOT say "This is the beginning of the end." Beth Karas and Jean Casarez of HLN both said that Mrs. Arias was silent when the verdict was read and remained silent until she was in the elevator.

Hopefully Jodi will be sentenced to life behind bars so some people will be able to buy her autobiography and do more TV interviews in a couple of years. I do believe there's a market for those products.

Well she`s going to present her paintings, that she says all the money is going for women abuse victims of domestic violence, like thats really going to get her off in the cruelity way she killed poor Travis.

• Like 1