Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

They Struck OIL!

and-then

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/09/shale-oil-deposit-possible-boon-to-struggling-california-but-state-wary-enviros/

This should be fun to watch. California has suddenly discovered that cash is available from oil reserves in the state. And the enviros are *gasp* up in arms to stop fracking it out of the ground.

BTW - sorry if I offend any Californians here - nothing personal but your state has become a bit of a comedy routine for the rest of the nation.

• Like 1

A vast, untapped oil reserve in California is emerging as perhaps one of the state’s best opportunities to improve its still struggling economy, but exploration and production efforts face resistance from the powerful environmental lobby and Gov. Jerry Brown’s administration that appears not to be fully sold on the potential.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

of course they do not want to go there, they are still in deals with the middle east oil companies.

• Like 1

http://www.foxnews.c...e-wary-enviros/

This should be fun to watch. California has suddenly discovered that cash is available from oil reserves in the state. And the enviros are *gasp* up in arms to stop fracking it out of the ground.

BTW - sorry if I offend any Californians here - nothing personal but your state has become a bit of a comedy routine for the rest of the nation.

i think its the result of liberal extremism lol, alot of good has come from cali im sure.

• Like 1

well if they cant do it with there offshore drilling of which there are many old ones left let them frac Cali till it drops off into the ocean. Just give them like a 10 minuter warning so the Hollywood types and politicians can escape and all will be well.

• Like 2

i think its the result of liberal extremism lol, alot of good has come from cali im sure.

They do nice oranges.

• Like 2

Given that, or so they say, this mysterious process of Fracking does seem to have a tendency to cause Earth tremors, I suppose you can see what they might not think that was the best idea..

Although, of course, our old friends Mega Oil would obviously fight to protect their monopolistic hold on supplies, wouldn't they. Wouldn't it be ironical to see the Enviromental people and the Oil companies both fighting to stop this?

• Like 3

California has already been fracked by Mother Nature. Seriously fracked.

Fruits and nuts is just LA .That whole city is just fracked up :lol:

• Like 3

I wonder how the farmers feel about this... I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the shale area overlaps with a lot of farming areas.

• Like 2

I believe thats the soft spot in the San Andreas fault as well.

but your state has become a bit of a comedy routine for the rest of the nation.

only for conservatives and mostly in the South. Don't project.

And "fracking" is bad.

OOOpps, I accidentally pressed the buttons to utterly destroy Iran and NK with nukes.

My bad.

Oh wait, the World's much safer now.

Not my bad.

• Like 1

I do not consider it "bad", but its is an operation type with a certain number of enviormental problems, especially in a geologically active zone as California. In a side note, i have noticed in the last few years how strong is the movement on the use of "fracking" to get oil and gas, worldwide.

I always saw California as one of the most progressive states in the US.

Edited by Orcseeker

Given that, or so they say, this mysterious process of Fracking does seem to have a tendency to cause Earth tremors, I suppose you can see what they might not think that was the best idea..

Although, of course, our old friends Mega Oil would obviously fight to protect their monopolistic hold on supplies, wouldn't they. Wouldn't it be ironical to see the Enviromental people and the Oil companies both fighting to stop this?

If fracking does cause quakes, then wouldn't that actually be a good thing since the process relieves pressure from inside the Earth's crust that could grow to be an even worse quake later?

As a Californian, I agree with you.

only for conservatives and mostly in the South. Don't project.

And "fracking" is bad.

P'raps you need to look at the "red/blue" maps from the last election. When California comes, hat in hand, to the federal government for a bailout as they inevitably will, the gravy train of a social experiment will end and oh my the howling that will ensue :w00t:

If fracking does cause quakes, then wouldn't that actually be a good thing since the process relieves pressure from inside the Earth's crust that could grow to be an even worse quake later?

I believe these Earth tremors were in previously non seismic areas. You also have a water table to consider as well. And heh. Tempting mother nature is never a bright idea.

I always saw California as one of the most progressive states in the US.

Of course it is orcseeker. The problem is that the government is SO "progressive" that they cannot possibly pay for all the "good" they are trying to do for their citizens. Reality can be a real drag sometimes :(

Well if Bush jr was still in the White House he would make up a lie about CA having WMDs and invade the state like he did with Iraq and Tea Partiers will be ok with it even though hundreds of thousands will die.

Well if Bush jr was still in the White House he would make up a lie about CA having WMDs and invade the state like he did with Iraq and Tea Partiers will be ok with it even though hundreds of thousands will die.

Or accusing them of trying to secede by floating away. :tsu:

I wonder how the farmers feel about this... I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the shale area overlaps with a lot of farming areas.

Oh who needs farms when there's oil rashore ....right .A few people lose their livelihoods ,and land is decimated .No biggie .

Just look at the gulf of Mexico .No biggie .

Oh who needs farms when there's oil rashore ....right .A few people lose their livelihoods ,and land is decimated .No biggie .

Just look at the gulf of Mexico .No biggie .

Actually the farmers are no doubt delighted; a tiny bit of their land is used and they draw nice royalties.

Actually the farmers are no doubt delighted; a tiny bit of their land is used and they draw nice royalties.

True story. Happens all the time here in the Northwest US.

Happens all the time here in the Northwest US.

where they doing oil in the Pac NW ?>