Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How much do looks matter for Christians?

ranrod

If it was common knowledge that if Jesus existed, he looked similar to the guy on the left, and nothing like the guy on the right, how many would not become Christians?

Here's my "Jesus Christ" ("As seen on the History channel special, this image was created from 3D computer images from the Shroud of Turin. Surely the closest representation to what our savior Jesus Christ truly looked like."):

real_face_of_jesus-glory-m__89361_zoom.jpg

Peace.

Here's my "Jesus Christ" ("As seen on the History channel special, this image was created from 3D computer images from the Shroud of Turin. Surely the closest representation to what our savior Jesus Christ truly looked like."):

real_face_of_jesus-glory-m__89361_zoom.jpg

Peace.

I thought the shroud of Turin image had darker skin... :huh:

Why does this even matter?

A savior's a savior. He could be purple and polka-doted for all I care.

Exactly. Truth is, He is able to manifest many faces, different types. After all, He is the "Holy Spirit." Edited by braveone2u

Why hasn't he stopped all the wars in the world then? Surely "god" can just open a hole in the ground and drop all war mongers into the lake of fire right?

We have our free will. You have to take into account the Lamb's Book of Life. It's something for a Christian to ask himself about. A Christian might even dream about being on the list through the grace of the Holy Spirit. We are in constant battle for our souls. Physical war is fleeting but fighting for your soul's salvation is something else. Some say it's not enough to be good. If you die right now you had better have an idea where your soul will go to. Edited by euroninja

We have our free will. You have to take into account the Lamb's Book of Life. It's something for a Christian to ask himself about. A Christian might even dream about being on the list through the grace of the Holy Spirit. We are in constant battle for our souls. Physical war is fleeting but fighting for your soul's salvation is something else. Some say it's not enough to be good. If you die right now you had better have an idea where your soul will go to.

As I stated to A.C. earlier it was a joke, and I don't believe in an afterlife, or 99% of the bible for that matter, and I will never exalt that narcissistic psycho god, I have no reason to love him and every reason to hate him.

Edited by HavocWing

I believe that God loves us all and only the very evil ones won't be saved. Every one of us is a sinner and no one should throw stones.

This thread is directly asking Christians and I'm going by the guidelines of my Christian religion. The Lamb's Book of Life and salvation through Jesus Christ are extremely important to a Christian. If this thread were all inclusive I wouldn't have bothered sharing these important Christian facts. It seems to me that you're the one who is judging me because I'm following my calling and I'm on the right thread to share my Christianity. If God loves us all then why doesn't he love the real evil ones? He doesn't love everyone and that's a long story to get into. Are you Christian?

I think the colour of his skin doesn't matter to most christians. It doesn't for me. I was taught to love all people from all races and all walks of life. I know that I'm a true christian.

"I like to imagine that the world is a garden and the people her flowers. It takes many kinds of flowers make a beautiful garden." - J.E. de Blois

How do you know you're a true Christian?

You are very much forgiven. I was scratching my head there for a second while asking myself what I've done to offend you. Oh well, misunderstanding. :blush:

You are a Christian because you really believe that in your heart. It's salvation through Christ. God bless you, SpiritTraveler.

"Believers who hold to eternal security say Revelation 3:5 shows that God never blots out a name from the Book of Life. They further argue that God, who knows the future, would never list a name in the Book of Life in the first place if it would have to be blotted out later. The Book of Life assures that God knows his true followers, keeps and protects them during their earthly journey, and brings them home to him in heaven when they die."

If it was common knowledge that if Jesus existed, he looked similar to the guy on the left, and nothing like the guy on the right, how many would not become Christians?

I thought it was common knowledge that Jesus looked more like the guy on the left and nothing like the guy on the right. It's just been common to depict Jesus like the guy on the right because of centuries of European art, but I thought very few Christians actually believed that's what he looked like.

I have heard some people saying that Jesus was a black man, personally I doubt it, but if the Europeans can depict him as European looking, then I suppose the black christians can depict him as a black man. What do the christians think about him being black theory?

I have heard some people saying that Jesus was a black man, personally I doubt it, but if the Europeans can depict him as European looking, then I suppose the black christians can depict him as a black man. What do the christians think about him being black theory?

Well, if we read Genesis 1:27 literally - His father was 'mixed race' of the most complicated kind!

• Like 1

Well, if we read Genesis 1:27 literally - His father was 'mixed race' of the most complicated kind!

What, like Sammy Davis Junior?

• Like 2

What do the christians think about him being black theory?

About the same as if he were white. We don't know what Jesus would have looked like. Current historical research suggests that a hypothetical average Joe Jew from the 1st Century AD would look much like the photo in the original post, and that's relatively dark-skinned (though not black black). Whether Jesus looked exactly like an average Joe Jew of the 1st Century AD, no one can say. And personally speaking, I don't really care what he looked like.

I follow Jesus because of what he taught, not because of what colour his skin is.

• Like 2

About the same as if he were white. We don't know what Jesus would have looked like. Current historical research suggests that a hypothetical average Joe Jew from the 1st Century AD would look much like the photo in the original post, and that's relatively dark-skinned (though not black black). Whether Jesus looked exactly like an average Joe Jew of the 1st Century AD, no one can say. And personally speaking, I don't really care what he looked like.

I follow Jesus because of what he taught, not because of what colour his skin is.

I am not a follower, as you may have worked out, so I was just wondering why different races make him look either black, blonde haired and blue eyed or more like a Hebrew?

It seems it does matter after all to some people.

If one believes the accounts of scripture - which I assume most Christians would - after the Lord returns there will no longer BE any Atheists. They will either accept His rule or perish but certainly they will believe. And RULE is exactly what He will do. With "a rod of iron". The meaning is inescapable that He will allow no disrespect or disobedience. Fortunately He is about love so His rule will not be a painful burden, but an experience of utmost wonder and joy. I think that it will be during this time that humanity will finally become aware of the WHY we have so long sought.

So follow me or perish is it? That dosnt sound loveing at all , it sounds megalomaniacal actually.

• Like 1

So follow me or perish is it? That dosnt sound loveing at all , it sounds megalomaniacal actually.

It's blackmail.

I doubt most people really give much serious consideration to what Jesus may have actually looked like. Yes, the majority of Christians probably picture him as the white-skinned, blue-eye blond man from the Renaissance paintings, but they also understand that He was a Jew and lived in the Middle East, so if someone points out that obviously he would have looked more like the guy on the left than the one on the right, most, I think would simply acknowledge the truth of that and move on.

I am not a follower, as you may have worked out, so I was just wondering why different races make him look either black, blonde haired and blue eyed or more like a Hebrew?

It seems it does matter after all to some people.

In traditional depictions, the basic idea is that Jesus is depicted like the average person of the culture in question. Someone in, for example, 8th century England wouldn't have the slightest idea what a 1st century jew would have looked like.

Now of course there are also modern trends of pseudoscholarship trying to claim Jesus as a blond-haired blue-eyed Aryan, or a black African, but this is completely different from tradition and rather is an attempt to harmonize people's racist viewpoints with their Christian religion (i.e. if a white person or black person posits that their race is responsible for all the wisdom in the world, then they can't possibly be worshipping some brown guy).