Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My Sunday at an Atheistic Church

markdohle

I doubt that'll ever happen mind you but it would be interesting if it did.

A person doesn't have to go that far to get a date.

I agree AC, it seems close to creating the image of a religion and I don't understand the need. What little I know of atheists I've learned from those here at UM. Some have been respectful of my beliefs, some ridicule at every opportunity and either way is fine though I'm sure I prefer respect to derision. Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.

I myself do not go out of my way to disrespect anyone's personal beliefs,as long as they do not tell me i am going to burn in their hell!I have been told this before and laughed in their face and asked them many things they have no answer for.I have beliefs but not in any god most define as someone else's that they have adopted from other's as their own i just can not see things from this point of view.I have some christian friends who i have explained my views to and it made more sense to them then their own religion,yet they still say they have to follow blindly a book that has been translated over and over again by man to gain and hold power.No disrespect to the cool people here christian and non but i guess for the hard nosed ones i will burn in your hell

• Like 1

I myself do not go out of my way to disrespect anyone's personal beliefs,as long as they do not tell me i am going to burn in their hell!I have been told this before and laughed in their face and asked them many things they have no answer for.I have beliefs but not in any god most define as someone else's that they have adopted from other's as their own i just can not see things from this point of view.I have some christian friends who i have explained my views to and it made more sense to them then their own religion,yet they still say they have to follow blindly a book that has been translated over and over again by man to gain and hold power.No disrespect to the cool people here christian and non but i guess for the hard nosed ones i will burn in your hell

Since I'm a Christian the Holy Bible is a reference guide to a person's firsthand encounter with heavenly hosts and decipher signs and guidance from above. Not everyone blindly follows Christianity. Christianity is a state of being. It's a calling. It's embedded in the heart and guided by Christ the Spirit. I'm not a condemning Christian so see this post as an attachment to your comment. It's not for a sinner to condemn.

Agreed that L. Ron Hubbard was a science fiction author. Not agreed that he wrote Battlestar Galactica. BS:G was created first in 1978 before a reboot of the series in 2003 (one of my favourite tv series of all time, I might add). L. Ron Hubbard was not involved in writing science fiction at that time of his life. Perhaps you are thinking "Battlefield Earth", he did write that book. It shares part of the same word ("battle")...

I'm sorry I stand corrected, I knew I might've been off but Battle-something-scifi :P but still, really?

In the west if you are an atheist you are also expected to be a hard-nosed, "scientific" materialist (philosophical meaning here). You are not allowed any spiritual or religious sentiment.

But, while atheism may derive from personality traits, it is nothing more than an opinion.

I self-identify as an atheist because I am quite sure there is no God. But I am not a materialist. I think there are aspects of the universe other than physical phenomena. Sentience and mind and ethics and beauty and humor and other things of that sort.

I also love the ritual and history and ethical teaching and philosophy of Buddhism; of course I grew up with it so I would.

Scientific Atheism is perfectly explainable, but still you count with the next quote's reply if you have any even down to appreciation of the aspect. :) it's ok nothing to be worried about :P

Any beliefs and views about any source of a magnificant power is considered to be agnostic or a starting point at least. You believe in something just not what is available. I see it as a good thing, it shows you have taken time to consider all aspects... well at least the way I see it. :)

Since I'm a Christian the Holy Bible is a reference guide to a person's firsthand encounter with heavenly hosts and decipher signs and guidance from above. Not everyone blindly follows Christianity. Christianity is a state of being. It's a calling. It's embedded in the heart and guided by Christ the Spirit. I'm not a condemning Christian so see this post as an attachment to your comment. It's not for a sinner to condemn.

That's why i like this site all here well should say most not all,can express their thoughts freely without calls of hellfire and damnation haha

I am an atheist but unlike some ideas do not opposed religion. I enjoy the traditions. I am not offended by religious symbols. I find activist atheist who want to remove monuments and practices hypocritical. These are the religious atheist that will give a sermon that would put a Pentacostal preacher to shame. Atheism should not equal hatred of other religions. One more thing. Where are the atheist charities?

Here are some.

http://www.squidoo.com/Atheist-Charities

Remember they are a minority, so there is not going to be as many around.

If Christians love God so much why do they ditch Mass on Sunday to watch the Super Bowl?

The Super bowl is not on first thing on Sunday morning...

I am an atheist but unlike some ideas do not opposed religion. I enjoy the traditions. I am not offended by religious symbols. I find activist atheist who want to remove monuments and practices hypocritical. These are the religious atheist that will give a sermon that would put a Pentacostal preacher to shame. Atheism should not equal hatred of other religions. One more thing. Where are the atheist charities?

You sound like a Christian pretending to be an Atheist. Nice try dude :rolleyes:

The Super bowl is not on first thing on Sunday morning...

The opening ceremony before the Superbowl was on and so were some player and coach interviews

The opening ceremony before the Superbowl was on and so were some player and coach interviews

The lead up to the Super bowl is not the same.. Many I am sure went to church, came home, had a bite to eat, got their beers in and THEN sat to watch the Super bowl

What's wrong with some people meeting together? There are hiking clubs, political clubs, Renaissance festivals, dance clubs, UFO clubs, and a million other clubs that meet together every week and do activities to promote their interests. Does this make them religions too?

• Like 1

I think it's rather nice if atheists want to gather together to hang out, speak on or hear things about their belief, sing a bit, moments of silence... Sounds great to me. I don't see why deity believing folks should have the corner market on the nice community a congregation can be. Is it just a problem with calling the gathering a church? I do find that a tad odd myself, but darned if I could come up with a better term for it.

• 2 weeks later...

The lead up to the Super bowl is not the same.. Many I am sure went to church, came home, had a bite to eat, got their beers in and THEN sat to watch the Super bowl

Isn't drinking alcohol a sin for Christians? How devoted they are to their religion!
  • Like 1

Isn't drinking alcohol a sin for Christians? How devoted they are to their religion!

No. Drinking alcohol is not a sin. Getting drunk.... is questionable, some say it's ok some don't (I personally don't think it a sin to get drunk when the occasion calls for it). Getting drunk regularly (alcoholism) is a sin, condemned in the Bible.

Watching the Superbowl is not a sin, either. Even if you can't make your way to a church on Sunday morning (the game was on Sunday night in America) there is no command anywhere in the entire Bible that says "You must attend a specific building every Sunday or else you are sinning". The closest thing to that would be Hebrews 10:25, which says "Let us not stop meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching". If you miss one church service on Sunday, that in and of itself is not a sin.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1