Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human-Animal Hybrid Ban Proposed In Mississip

Render

A Republican state legislator in Mississippi has proposed a ban on human-animal hybrids.

State Rep. William Tracy Arnold (R-Booneville) proposed the ban on using human embryos in any hybrid project. The measure is part of a bill that would restrict abortion, human cloning and assisted suicide. Arnold told wapt.com that he included the ban as a way to restrict embryo research.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/01/human-animal-hybrid-mississippi_n_2601975.html

Is such a monstrosity even possible? If it is then I would whole heartedly support such a ban.

Edited by and then

This sucks. I want to see Leopard people and bird people. Or whatever. But then again I think more people should wear capes and swords too. :cat:

• Like 3

Hey... I want to be a person who has cat ears and a tail, thus allowing for greater balance and agility on my part. I be able to always land on my feet and have keen senses when it comes to stalking my prey on the battlefields. Just joking...

I wonder if this bill would prevent genetically modified pigs to supply organs for transplant?

• Like 1

The reason behind this proposal (IMO) is religiously based. Each animal shall only mix with it's own kind and all that. They are trying to stave off the end times which reportedly shall come when it is like it was in the days of Noah, when there was much strange flesh and God killed everyone who was a hybrid (again IMO)

I dont like the idea of restricting science/research in any way really.

As far as I'm concerned, a human-animal hybrid would just be another form of life, no different (but more sophisticated) than creating a mule.

• Like 1

Once gene splicing becomes practical, I can see governments trying to "preserve" human purity or some kind of nonsense like that. If we were smart we would make ourselves physically and mentally better using the best genes from the best animals our planet has produced.

The only trouble would be if these changes have to be made before conception, not giving the person a choice in what happens...

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, a human-animal hybrid would just be another form of life, no different (but more sophisticated) than creating a mule.

I second this statement.

I also want to add; For those of you who see these as 'pointless, mad scientist experiments', you need to look at all the facts of said experiments. I saw people in a slight uproar over sewing kittens' eyes shut a couple months ago, and all the criticism was based purely off of emotional knee jerk responses, and wild speculation. In my experience, people of science are way more ethical than their religious opposites.

I didn't know you were from Mississippi.

HAHAHA didnt see that response coming :lol:

Lol. The entire state of mississippi barely have the iq and the intelligence of your average 4th grade science class. Seems like bible thumping Tea Partiers with too much time on their hands again.lol.

gallag.jpg

Did anyone actually read the entire article? Its basically a hidden agenda against abortions of any kind. Just mixed up with some nonsense about hybrid experiments so people would jump on board because they dont want donkey babies or whatever. Real perpose whole different story imo

One of area of science that needs to be strictly monitored globally but not necessarily banned. It is science after all. But in the current state of humanity I have no problem with an outright ban on this science. It would be misused.

But I believe the meat of the meat of the bill is the later parts and the beginning is the shock and awe. Thats why legislation aka pork needs to be somewhat related. In this case I dont believe they do.

(R-Booneville) proposed the ban on using human embryos in any hybrid project. The measure is part of a bill that would restrict abortion, human cloning and assisted suicide

One of area of science that needs to be strictly monitored globally but not necessarily banned. It is science after all. But in the current state of humanity I have no problem with an outright ban on this science. It would be misused.

But I believe the meat of the meat of the bill is the later parts and the beginning is the shock and awe. Thats why legislation aka pork needs to be somewhat related. In this case I dont believe they do.

Would you elaborate to why you would be ok with an outright ban?

I think I agree with you on your second point. To take it a step further, I think all pork should be banned from proposed bills.

Would anyone find it interesting to grow a tail and replace your ears with another animals? It would make life unique and interesting, to choose a certain type of animal trait to incorporate into yourself and make you perform much better than the average human. Balance of a cat, speed of a cheetah, lifespan of a dinosaur, ability to breath like a amphibian, hearing of an bunny, eyesight of a eagle, and nose of a bloodhound that would push human's abilities beyond anything ever accomplished. I don't know the strongest animal on the planet, but add that to the list and you would have an super-human warrior for military.

Edited by Uncle Sam

There are always ethical restrictions. Unless of course you live in North Korea or some other dictatorship.

True ... but. First thing that comes to mind is the legal ramifications. We would have to redefine what a person is. If this new species is not a person, in the legal sense, then the only other option is property. Which means you could own it and treat it just like any other animal. You could eat it, wear it's skin/fur or use it for entertainment.

• Like 1

I'm not religious at all and I have severe reservations as to how this will be used. Are the results of these experiments going to be kept in a lab to be studied, resulting in a miserable life? There would be no "normal" life for them at all, as far as I can see.

• Like 1

Would you elaborate to why you would be ok with an outright ban?

I dont believe humanity is mature enough to embark on such a wonderful science. It would be misused IMO. Only when we can become a untied world or itleast as a united country that is full of growth should such a thing be taken on with the utmost scrutiny and care and caution to ensure we are for example not making "slaves animal hybrids" or some other horrid concept that could come out of such a genetically engineered program. Would an artificially made creature have rights etc...So many unanswered questions that would need to be discussed and fleshed out as best we were able before embarking on such a project.

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 4

If there was a gene treatment that were to say, splice lizard DNA into you to regrow a lost limb, people in Mississipi would not be able to take part of that treatment. Places like Korea and China would do research and development into this area regardless, in my opinion. So I suppose, Mississippians could just travel out of state for treatment. But I do agree with asteroid X on the ethical side of such research.

• Like 2

Lol. The entire state of mississippi barely have the iq and the intelligence of your average 4th grade science class. Seems like bible thumping Tea Partiers with too much time on their hands again.lol.

Stereotype much? The state is poor, granted, but is as capable of producing first class scientists as whatever Mecca you hail from. Classy guy....

It may be that for most organs the building of artificial organs will solve the problem, but this does not seem at all likely for livers, where the only realistic possibility is the use of pig's livers. I don't know if that would fall under the ban in some religions of eating pork (a surgical transplant wouldn't exactly be "eating").

We already have artificial feet made of various hides -- we call them shoes.

Most Americans no doubt think -- oh, Mississippi, of course. What they don't realize is that elsewhere such nonsense is seen as "America," not as "Mississippi" and most people don't understand the difference. Hence America becomes the brunt of the jokes.

There goes my dream of replacing my bad ears with the most sensitive and powerful ears in the animal kingdom, feline ears to be exact.

There goes my dream of replacing my bad ears with the most sensitive and powerful ears in the animal kingdom, feline ears to be exact.

Aren't wolf ears better?