Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Semtex Slimming Pills!

Eldorado

For those who 'blow-up' after an eating binge, no doubt. (lol)

This new slimming aid has actually managed to upset people, if the usual sensationalist media outlets are to be believed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277357/Ex-model-Jodie-Marsh-disgusts-IRA-victims-launching-diet-pills-called-Semtex.html#axzz2KfyzgjKg

I think you'd need to be real touchy/sensitive to be offended by this but I may be wrong. Any thoughts from my fellow UMers?

Well, I think people who lost parents/family members in attacks by the IRA and the Lockerbie bombing, are understandably going to be kind of sensitive.

Not the most tactful move from Jodie Marsh, but who ever expected her to show tact?

Edited by Queen in the North

Hmmm...lets see.... how many pills would one need to blow up the establishment...hmmm...

In any case, I fail to see the controversy. Semtex is a known explosive that also works with overweight, nitroglycerin is a explosive that also works with heart problems.... so what?

• Like 1

Well, I think people who lost parents/family members in attacks by the IRA and the Lockerbie bombing, are understandably going to be kind of sensitive.

Not the most tactful move from Jodie Marsh, but who ever expected her to show tact?

It's only a name though, Queen. There 's a drink called TNT and when I was younger I believe there was a drink called Colt 45. It was terrorists who murdered all those people, not semtex.

• Like 1

Well, she got the publicity she wanted ........ job done! I think she's pitched it exactly right for the people who are going to be interested in such products.

• Like 1

It's only a name though, Queen. There 's a drink called TNT and when I was younger I believe there was a drink called Colt 45. It was terrorists who murdered all those people, not semtex.

I did not know there was a drink called TNT! That doesn't appeal to me... I bet it's some crappy energy drink. Drink TNT, it will literally ruin your insides.

ETA: The name of the pills doesn't offend me, personally. I just think it might if I was one of the families it obviously has offended.

Edited by Queen in the North
  • Like 1

Wow Forget the Semtex. She has a grest body and nice tats.

You just made me laugh out loud in the library there. Mainly because I misread 'tats', it must be said.

But if you knew the first thing about Jodie Marsh, it becomes impossible to look at her without wanting to spew/punch her. Not a nice person, from what I remember.

I'm surprised the manufacturers of the explosive haven't taken her to court for breach of Copyright.

• Like 3

I'm not offended... there's C4 Extreme energy powder stuff for workout folks too. Nuke, Molotov Explosive, Blast, Burn, and Liquid Nitro energy drinks. I think a lot of manufacturers like to use "explosive" names.

I don't know who the gal is or where she is from... Does she live there? Or does she live somewhere else that she might not know how offensive the name would be to folks in the area?

• Like 1

But if you knew the first thing about Jodie Marsh, it becomes impossible to look at her without wanting to spew/punch her. Not a nice person, from what I remember.

I've always felt a little bit sorry for her because she's never been able to get out from Jordan/Katy Price's shadow. Heaven know's she's tried ..... maybe tried too hard and just ends up messy.

I'm surprised the manufacturers of the explosive haven't taken her to court for breach of Copyright.

Good point.

I don't know who the gal is or where she is from... Does she live there? Or does she live somewhere else that she might not know how offensive the name would be to folks in the area?

Yes, she's from the UK and has always lived here as far as I know. I don't expect she chose the name; her involvement will be limited to promoting the product.

• Like 2

Hmmm... strange place to put a tattoo of a skull. A warning, perhaps?

Anyway, I think I understand what she was going for, but sounds a bit much for a weight loss pill... too, in your face, so to speak.

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 1

She's British, Rashore but I'm still puzzled why so many folks are upset. If she'd called her slimming aid the 'Bobby Sands Slimfast' I'd understand but, Semtex is merely the name of an explosive compound. Granted, it was used by Irish terrorists and on PanAm 103 but it was used by terrorists worldwide, just like they are all fond of Kalashnikovs and Molotov cocktails.

Families of victims may cringe at hearing the name, I can understand that, but are they really as 'upset' as the media claim. I honestly doubt it. This woman is hated by some folks and I reckon that is the real reason for the story. Haters gotta hate and some sections of the media feed them their fill on a regular basis.

I could be wrong, of course.

• Like 5

She obviously did not think that through very well, mind you, thinking was never one of her strongest points.

She also came out with this:

'I am a renowned anti-bullying campaigner. And terrorism can be seen as a form of bullying, as it is the use of force or coercion to intimidate others. So my disgust at terrorism should be clear.'

i can see what she sort of means, but I do not think that anyone who has been affected by terrorism would put the 2 in the same box!!

Edited by freetoroam