Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Optical Illusion or Ghost in Photo?

user137211

I was doing some research last night on the history of castles in Spain and often times I use google maps street view to get a drive by view if possible. While panning and zooming around one in particular, http://es.wikipedia....Torres_de_Cuart (Torres de Cuart) something caught my eye. If you look into the small portal window on the right side there appears to be what looks like a face peering out. That part of the structure is not accessable to visitors, etc. from what I understand; I would love to know your thoughts — and just wanted to share since it seemed interesting.

http://maps.google.c...,91.46,,0,-2.09

(in the link above zoom to the small portal window above where a girl is walking)

<still image for reference>

post-137211-0-08322600-1360680532_thumb.

I cannot see anything there but even though it may not be accessible by the public perhaps a worker there was having a look. I imagine it is rather dark and dreary in there....anything to get a look at the sun. JMO.

Sorry my first pic wasn't a very good view of it, here's a zoomed view. It definitely does look dark in there, and I wonder what the worker was working on? hopefully getting a nice spanish tan. lol.

ccjmlRN.jpg

Edited by . .

No face there, but i think i have spotted the virgin Mary top right of cross.

• Like 1

I did a little PS stuff with it. Nothing scientific about it but it does allow a bit of clarification. I do not see anything definable. JMO.

post-57834-0-72026900-1360689537_thumb.j

post-57834-0-18870600-1360689546_thumb.j

A couple cents from me...

If you move down the street and look at the other tower, there is a similar hole there, and you can see something in it too. Around the tower from the hole shown in the OP, there is another hole just like it- it looks newer and is more obviously a replacement. Looking at historical pics of the place, looks like there were windows there at one time.

I think perhaps what we are seeing might be grillework that has been carefully bricked over. Or perhaps things or people inside the building that can bee seen through the holes.

There is something behind both windows that look grills of some kinto keep late night visitors from entering IMHO. Good eyes, though, for seeing it! Apparently all those holes in teh curtain wall are from Napoleon's bombardment of the city before taking it over.

Edited by Merc14

Here's what you get if you zoom in on the OP picture in such a way as to preserve the original pixels without smoothing anything over.

edit: Scratch that, you can actually get more detail from Google Street View:

edit2: Uploaded wrong pic.

porthole.png

Still could be anything and I don't know what resolution the street view cameras are so I don't know if Google Earth (I find it much faster than the Google Maps website) is zooming beyond the native resolution when I zoom in before taking a screenshot.

Anyway, make of it what you will.

Edited by Archimedes

No face there, but i think i have spotted the virgin Mary top right of cross.

I didn't see Mary... but I did see Godzilla...

zilla_zpse639bab9.jpg

• Like 7

According to the Wikipedia article this tower you're looking at wasn't part of a castle but part of defensive walls surrounding Valencia.

Also, from the Wikipedia article:

From the last decade of the twentieth century , the parrots and other exotic birds escapades of their owners, have nested and reproduced in the holes caused by the artillery of its exterior. Already in the 21st century , Quart Towers still standing, and in the process of restoring its exterior, blackened by soot incessant traffic flowing down the street and the street Quart Guillem de Castro.

From this I would say whatever is in that portal is either a nesting bird or a worker conducting part of the restoration. I would imagine that if the room within is not open to the public it probably is used for storage of workers' tools and such.

Can we say PAREIDOLIA? *scratching my head*....

I wouldn't automatically jump to pareidolia since there are other options it could be which are valid.

I didn't read the thread properly, so when I squinted hard enough I could see a vaguely face like thing in the square window. I guess if you look hard enough...

• Like 1

Boy, this is a tough group... Maybe if we don't just SEE IT... on the first inspection... we could say that without needing to destroy those that do.

• Like 1

That right... we should be nice to the poor sobs that believe in ghosts.

The must have it rough enough without the heckle.

• Like 1

I wouldn't automatically jump to pareidolia since there are other options it could be which are valid.

Dosnt matter it still would be pareidolia... I'm sure it's ghost at this point. It's the most logical answer ;)

• Like 1

I see "something" there, but having never been inside that building there is no way for me to be sure what it is or isn't. I can understand why some people might think that is a face, though.