Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3D printed meat could soon be cheap and tasty

ExpandMyMind

The next time you’re about to bite into a hamburger, take a moment to consider the resources that went into making it. In a recent Solve for X talk, Andras Forgacs laid out all the statistics, and explained how tantalizingly close we are to a more sustainable method of meat production. Basically, humanity may soon be 3D printing meat instead of growing it in an animal.

Forgacs starts by explaining just how costly a single quarter-pound beef patty is to produce. For that one serving, 6.7lbs of grains, 600 gallons of water, and 75 square feet of grazing land were used. Now multiply that by 1000 to find your (approximate) impact — the average American eats over 220lbs of meat each year. Additionally, at least 18% of greenhouse gas emissions are due to meat production. All this for one burger?

burger-580x315.jpg

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pick/3d-printed-meat-could-soon-be-cheap-and-tasty-enough-to-win-you-over-20130212/

If 3D printed meat could one day (hopefully soon) become an economically viable and tasty alternative to the real thing, humanity will have taken a massive leap forward. I hope for this day to come soon.

• Like 1

2zjme7r.gif
  • Like 5

I dunno how soon it will be... Right now they have only done a prototype strip of 2cmx1cmx1mm.. And it's really expensive to do this kind of printing right now.

ITS PEOPLE!

• Like 3

OR ..... here's a thought: why not just stop eating meat altogether? :w00t: Radical, huh?

I mean ....... honestly, what is all this b*!!*ck$ about?!! All the money and resources directed at this project ..... :hmm: *sigh*

Every time I think humanity can't sink any lower, something like this pops up.

OR ..... here's a thought: why not just stop eating meat altogether? :w00t: Radical, huh?

I mean ....... honestly, what is all this b*!!*ck$ about?!! All the money and resources directed at this project ..... :hmm: *sigh*

Every time I think humanity can't sink any lower, something like this pops up.

Sink lower? This is the conplete opposite.

Computers also cost tens (and hundreds) of thousands in their infancy yet could you see a World without them?

Why is it worth spending all of this money researching this science? If not to save the lives of billions upon billions of animals, the reasons include: greenshouse gasses, arable land, water resources and landscape conservation. Eating meat is completely and utterly inefficient, considering what it takes to produce a tiny amount of the stuff (see the OP picture). It costs the world so much more than people realise. 2/3 of the world's arable land is used to feed animals alone.

Now I'm no veggie and I regularly eat 700 gram sirloin and rib eye steaks, but if there was a way to enjoy the meat without the devastating effect it has on the World, I'd take it up in a heartbeat.

No thanks. I would rather not eat meat than eat 'printed' meat.

Even if it tasted and felt no different than actual meat?

Pretty sure it was a different thing, but on a tv program I saw something where they were growing meat. They actually tried some, said it was pretty tasteless and not all that meaty. However, it took a very long time for them to grow enough meat to make a tiny little burger shaped blob, not exactly viable yet.

But I would try it if it ever became available. Can't be any worse than unwittingly eating horsemeat, right?

• Like 1

I belief every thing has already been said before:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=230951&hl=%2Blab+%2Bmeat

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222621&hl=%2Blab+%2Bmeat

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170039&st=15&p=3299565&hl=+lab%20+meatentry3299565

Ppl will only change their minds when it becomes main stream...for the moment they have to go through their scared and superior phase where they go "im never gonna touch that, mimimi i'd rather have my animals slaughtered otherwise it won't quite taste the same."or

or "i dont trust food that hasn't been murdered"

Whatever...lets see better arguments in 10 years.

Remember in The Fly when Jeff Goldblum's character teleported a steak and it tasted synthetic?

If they can make it as "organic" as the real thing in terms of cellular structure with no random, or harmful variants of anything thrown in as fillers, I'd give it a shot. It would have to be 100% the same as the real deal in terms of composition, etc. though.

• Like 3

If they can make it as "organic" as the real thing in terms of cellular structure with no random, or harmful variants of anything thrown in as fillers, I'd give it a shot. It would have to be 100% the same as the real deal in terms of composition, etc. though.

The printer actually looks like a cow and it stands in the corner, farting. (Well, so I heard... somewhere)

• Like 1

2558239737_cc40e63e1e.jpg

welcome to the age of food replicators!!! Now make me some earl grey!!

Edited by zenfahr
  • Like 1

I hope it succeeds. It would reduce the huge methane production and the horrible land waste that modern beef production involves.

They better be careful what they name it though -- "pink slime" didn't go over so well.

Well this is just great,guess i will have to add some halloween fake blood to my rare steaks in the future! :angry:

• Like 1

To survive, a human needs about 10-12% percent of caloric intake to be protein. The real issue is what people want vs. what they really need. If we can learn to eat protein in forms other than animal flesh, it will mark evolutionary progress of us as humans. We will have recognized that we can further minimize our biological footprint and we will have recognized that all creatures have a desire to live and avoid suffering.

Edited by highdesert50

To survive, a human needs about 10-12% percent of caloric intake to be protein. The real issue is what people want vs. what they really need. If we can learn to eat protein in forms other than animal flesh, it will mark evolutionary progress of us as humans. We will have recognized that we can further minimize our biological footprint and we will have recognized that all creatures have a desire to live and avoid suffering.

The only problem i see with all this is with current medical technology more humans are being born and living longer will be closing in on estimated 8 billion sometime soon.I love animals,i would rather hang out with my dogs than i would most humans.If everything lives and we keep extending life expectancy for everything and everyone how will we change our everyday lives?We humans already keep moving into and taking over their natural enviroment,in turn they come back and we consider them dangerous and a nuisance.We have a lot of things to start figuring out before we start evolving.

I have to agree with Wolverine in the fact that i'd want it to be 100% steak and not filled with so many harmful cancer inducing chemicals that cause our bodies to decompose slightly slower than normal.

I think we all already know the answer to this.