Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3D printed meat could soon be cheap and tasty

ExpandMyMind

Something to note... Andras Forgacs also co-founded Organovo, a medical based bioprinting business, prior to Modern Meadow, the meat printing company. Right now Modern Meadow is working more on releasing a bioprinted leather first, hopefully to be released 201-2018. Meat would likely come sometime after that.

Well this is just great,guess i will have to add some halloween fake blood to my rare steaks in the future! :angry:

Something I learned the other month: There is almost zero blood in raw steak. I had no idea!

What looks like blood actually isn't.

See here: http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-science/rare-meat-containing-blood-92223.html

or here ; http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/

or here ; http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090131185907AAQosWA

• Like 1

Something I learned the other month: There is almost zero blood in raw steak. I had no idea!

What looks like blood actually isn't.

See here: http://www.askmehelp...lood-92223.html

or here ; http://www.todayifou...t-is-not-blood/

or here ; http://ca.answers.ya...31185907AAQosWA

Interesting i mainly eat mine rare not really for the blood or water whichever,i mainly have mine rare to not denature the protein with excessive heat.

• Like 1

The printer actually looks like a cow and it stands in the corner, farting. (Well, so I heard... somewhere)

Is that the printer which makes a mooing sound?

• Like 1

I this 3D meat is suppose to taste exactly like the real thing (when its made) then how will we really know it is`nt? veggies (especially) will want absolute proof and not just what it says on the packet!......cos we know what packet descriptions mean today!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

If beef is so costly, why is hamburger $4/lb making a quarterpounder $1.25? Not that expensive. Now if he can 3D print gasoline....then he'd have something. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

And another thing. If we stop eating beef, how many cattle ranchers and farmer will be out of jobs? For those of you that think farm land is a waste, I feel the same about golf courses. Wait - all the cattle/farm land can be turned into Golf Courses! End of waste!

My guess is that with all the chemicals in food now, whatever they use won't be any worse for humans than Round-Up ready corn. I am not a meat consumer anyway, so it won't make a difference. I won't eat faux meat either.

• Like 1

I am willing to bet that this stuff wont have the same quality protein or ammino acids,Just because it taste and looks like beef doesnt mean it's beef!Knowing they can just put cheap gelatin protein in it and still be able to lable it "high in protein" without most of the masses knowing it is far inferior will just make their greedy little day.

If beef is so costly, why is hamburger $4/lb making a quarterpounder $1.25? Not that expensive. Now if he can 3D print gasoline....then he'd have something. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I dunno if the beef in that quarterpounder is 100% actual, real beef man. Could be ripping us off far more than just a quarter. In terms of the health impact, that McD's quarterpounder will clog up your arteries and God knows what else. Sure does taste good though! :yes:

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

Agreed wolverine,i usually only eat burgers that i make myself out of ground sirloin!

Agreed wolverine,i usually only eat burgers that i make myself out of ground sirloin!

Yeah man, those are the best! My dad grills a mean bacon burger, so much better than fast food joints.

I usually cut up small pieces of bacon,onion,and garlic to mix in with mine.Kick Ass!!!

I dunno if the beef in that quarterpounder is 100% actual, real beef man. Could be ripping us off far more than just a quarter. In terms of the health impact, that McD's quarterpounder will clog up your arteries and God knows what else. Sure does taste good though! :yes:

Back in the day(70's and 80's) when I was growing-up, I REALLY loved Burger King Whoppers. YUM !!!!! And McDonalds Big Mac's !!

In the last 2 decades they changed. Cheaper and cheaper ingredients

Their whopper used to be massive, juicy, lot's of ingredients and very filling.

Same for their croissant breakfast sandwiches. They used to use real croissants, now it's just cheap frozen bread heated and just looks like a croissant.

From the bread to the meats, they really degraded their quality to keep up with profits.

How I miss those day's of great-tasting fast food.

Edited by pallidin

It can't be any worse than the mystery meat (gristle) in White Castle burgers.

A large cattle ranch is no fun to live near. The odor spreads for at least a mile away.

would vegetarians who object to meat consumption on ethical grounds be tempted in to trying it I wonder?

after all, bacon tastes MUCH better than muesli

the amount of willpower it takes to resist the aroma of frying bacon must be clint eastwood legendary.....

Vegetable food is generally much better tasting to me than fried meats. I think people don't like veggies so much 'cause they are so often served either raw or way overboiled. They should be with a little meat or chicken or fish as a condiment, and with good spices and not so little salt (where salt needs cutting is in packaged foods, not in the preparation of veggies). I am not a strict vegetarian by any means, but I have been steadily eating less and less meat and of course am better off. It's also cheaper.

Besides the health business, there is the plain fact that the meat industry is bad for the environment in many ways. I saw one time where if one could not eat meat one day a week this would have the environmental effect of switching to a hybrid car.

• Like 2

Another reason to consider alternatives to meat is the declining effectiveness of antibiotics due to the use in meat and poultry industry to prevent disease in crowded and unsanitary conditions -- about 80% of the antibiotics sold go to this industry. It's astonishing how short-sighted we have become for the sake of profit.

• Like 2

i'm not against vegetables as such, I eat plenty of them (potatos, carrots, cauliflower, and sprouts mostly), not a lover of fruit though, strangely enough....

but your comment about salt in the preparation of veg has to be commended!

much better to cook with salt than to add it afterwards!!

(but a sausage, bacon, and egg sandwich is still a thing of beauty, and for gods' sake, don't get me started on the merits of a decently made pork pie....!)

would vegetarians who object to meat consumption on ethical grounds be tempted in to trying it I wonder?

(...)

My father is a vegetarian for mostly ethical reasons, and he said he would definitely consider eating this.

• Like 1