Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

State of the Union

Corp

Kind of surprise a thread hasn't been made yet.

Anyway nothing's on tv so decided to watch it and must say Obama seems to be really taking it to the GOP. Though some of the stuff he's bringing out doesn't sound that bad. Doubt much of it will actually happen but still some good ideas being put out there.

So let the debate begin. I have a feeling that most of our members will have nothing but positive things to say. :P;)

I'm listening to it, but I take everything he says with a grain of salt. :P

• Like 1

I dont hear anything viable and Putin is a much better speaker then Obummer.

Oooh oooh, he said something I can agree with. "What I say means very little..." :w00t:

Oh darn, I missed the disrespectful part. I wasn't actually being disrespectful...I would say flippant. :innocent:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

Factcheck.org is going to have a busy night. This Pied Piper is very smooth. I truly hope that we see nothing but 4 years of gridlock in Congress. That is the only hope for this country. This POTUS needs to read Adam Smith and listen to Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose" series. Yes, the victims of gun violence need a vote, a vote to prevent them from being exploited to dismantle the 2nd Amendment.

• Like 5

The only thing I could remotely agree with was the need to address our deteriorating infrastructure. I work in construction engineering and sometimes I just shudder when I look at our roads, bridges and utility delivery systems...but what the heck...I've only been doing this stuff for 29 years...

Marco Rubio's rebuttal was extremely well said. I agreed with nearly everything he had to say...funny how that is. Caught the liberal media bashing it already...I guess they have to because rational minds cannot disagree with the content.

ETA:

Rubio was obviously nervous, but I thought the message was spot on. It wasn't over the top and hard right...it was sensible....there...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

Marc Rubio being a new face on the scene was definitely well spoken considering the speech he had to give and the circumstances it was given under. His history seems to be as a rags to riches politico which is refreshing. But well see what 4 more years does to him and a bit of limelight.

The only thing I could remotely agree with was the need to address our deteriorating infrastructure. I work in construction engineering and sometimes I just shudder when I look at our roads, bridges and utility delivery systems...but what the heck...I've only been doing this stuff for 29 years...

Remember "shovel ready" - that was all supposed to be taken care of in 2009. We were going to fix everything, provide lots of jobs, and be walking in high cotton for the Recovery Summer"

Instead, states and local government simply took the money and used it to pad their bloated budgets for one more year - kick the can down the road.

• Like 1

Marc Rubio being a new face on the scene was definitely well spoken considering the speech he had to give and the circumstances it was given under. His history seems to be as a rags to riches politico which is refreshing. But well see what 4 more years does to him and a bit of limelight.

But unfortunately what he said doesn't matter as he has now been turned into an internet meme grasping for a bottle of water.

Seriously, has no one in the Republican Party ever taken a public speaking 101 class?

I came home from sushi and drinks just in time to catch the part about terrorists and how he was going to keep the drone stikes as legal and transparent as possible.....at which point I laughed and turned it to Family Guy, because Stewie and Brian make more sense to me than our governments drone policy and I was too buzzed to let the president ruin my good mood with his pretty speech.

• Like 4

I've never in my whole life seen a political speech I thought was well delivered. The two most praised in the US are the Kennedy inaugural ("do for your country") and the Roosevelt "fear" speech. The words look good on paper but the delivery ruined them. Even Reagan, who certainly knew how to deliver a line, was little better at putting more than one line together.

The best speeches are usually given by demagogues speaking almost completely extempore. They often scare me but at least that gets an emotion. You should see politicians here delivering their committee-written speeches: one would swear it was the first time they had seen them. They hunker down and read and don't ever look up. Of course the ones that get higher up do a little better.

The usual suspects here could find nothing in Pres. Obamas State of The Union speech to like... why am I not surprised? The Reps. LOST the popular vote, and they will never get over it :passifier:

I strongly suspect they ALL missed the part where the Pres. also said that the USA and the EU are going to enter into negotiations to create a Free - Trade Union with the European Union. Yes??

Creating a Free - Trade Bloc to match China and Asia will boost BOTH the USA (and by extension NAFTA) and the EU economic Regions. Trade with the EU already supports millions of USA jobs and amounts to some 630 Trillion Dollars in trade per annum.

What do I know though?

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

If they are going to do that, why not include the rest of the Americas.

And then include Russia and Japan and Australia and New Zealand

By the time you get them in one might as well add ASEAN and India

Well I guess the Chinese will want in too -- but weren't they the problem motivating this?

I've never in my whole life seen a political speech I thought was well delivered. The two most praised in the US are the Kennedy inaugural ("do for your country") and the Roosevelt "fear" speech.

I thought that one of the better ones was "Government is not the solution, Government is the problem".

I strongly suspect they ALL missed the part where the Pres. also said that the USA and the EU are going to enter into negotiations to create a Free - Trade Union with the European Union. Yes??

So stealing a Putin line is considered leadership. Itleast have the balls to give credit to who is really proposing the free trade bloc. The USA is trying to jump on a ship that already sailed on that one.

The same thing is said at 15:11 in this video from July 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dnHjw5cOUkE

• Like 1

I liked, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall."

As I said, Reagan was good at delivering lines.

The usual suspects here could find nothing in Pres. Obamas State of The Union speech to like... why am I not surprised? The Reps. LOST the popular vote, and they will never get over it :passifier:

Oh you mean like the one Clinton made with Canada and Mexico? And how did that work out for the USA? I'm sure Canada and Mexico think it worked great! :tu:

And I am not a republican sir, so don't even try to act like partismanship has anything to do with my attitude about our corporate owned government which rules byt the corporations, for the corporations. Face it we are now, and have been for a few decades, the fascist states of America.

• Like 2

The Canadians see it as good citizenship. The Mexicans have profited extremely well. In the end that means the US and Canada will do well too, as the immigration pressure has already disappeared and Mexico is prospering. One is always better off if one's neighbors prosper.

If they are going to do that, why not include the rest of the Americas.

And then include Russia and Japan and Australia and New Zealand

By the time you get them in one might as well add ASEAN and India

Well I guess the Chinese will want in too -- but weren't they the problem motivating this?

Too simplistic... the idea is to trade between member Nations from similar backgrounds and with strong human rights in terms of "fair pay for a fair days work". Quite honestly, these nations coming together could happily exist and prosper without the rest of the world. Talent and innovation is in place to move the Western World forward (instead of the stagnation that it has suffered from for 50 years or more). Of course this would mean raising Tariffs much higher for Asian countries, but I am not really seeing a downside to this...

I truthfully will not buy goods from a "Sweatshop" environment (including the cheap Cinese shops in Spain), and really do not need to do so.

If you don't agree with Obama's policies you can only be two things...a racist, a Republican or both.

• Like 6

That stuff can be part of the treaty. I think you are a little too puritanical about working conditions anyway. If someone can improve their life by taking such a job, well, I would.

That stuff can be part of the treaty. I think you are a little too puritanical about working conditions anyway. If someone can improve their life by taking such a job, well, I would.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but you have live in servants, so probably you speak from an entirely theoretical point of view, as in theoretically if the world economy totaly collapsed you may need to work in a sweat shop. In reality chances are you own one? Sorry if I'm out of line, and I'm not trying to belittle you, I'm truly not, but it's easy for a rich man to claim to know how cold it is in the slums during winter, while he sits next to a marble fire place.

That statement was outrageous; you have no idea what I went through in my life. And I don't have servants. I have family who take care of their elderly and sick parents.

I thought the speech was very well delivered. It touched on a lot of good topics and brought up a number of good ideas. Now how these ideas are attempted and if any results will be seen is a completely different matter, but Obama did speak very well. Did seem to be rather combative though with him calling out the GOP on some of their policies. Some of the stuff needed to be called out, such as the idea that the military budget should never ever be lowered, but he seemed to be ready to take the gloves off and I don't see how that will help things get done.

Didn't seem much of the rebutal, though how Rubio would sway from time to time I kept waiting for him to break out into song. :P He didn't seem as at ease and I found it odd that he mentioned Bush when Obama didn't.

In any case the fall out will likely hold no surprises. Those who like Obama will praise the speech without asking just how these promises will be fulfilled and those who hate Obama with an unholy passion will continue to hate him no matter what he does. Such is the way with politics.