Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity Rover Mars mission announcement?

Paxus

Hey Guys,

Who remembers NASA saying, last year, that they have found something on Mars and will announce it in 'several weeks'? 'Something really good', 'one for the history books' etc etc..

Well??!

Have they revealed it yet? If so, did I miss it? What was it?

yes, it was something to do with Compounds. It's probably in Space Exploration somewhere, let me have a loook.

It was just another internet taken out of context hype, if I remember correctly.

I thought it was "bloody geologists geeking out over discovering moe iron in the soil then predicted"

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Who remembers NASA saying, last year, that they have found something on Mars and will announce it in 'several weeks'? 'Something really good', 'one for the history books' etc etc..

Well??!

Have they revealed it yet? If so, did I miss it? What was it?

Yes, it was a significant find - if you're a cosmochemist working for NASA.

The whole thing was simply a case of a scientist who didn't know how to talk to the press.

• Like 1

I wonder what they know and they are not telling us.

Conspiracy theory extraordinare. Tell me.... Why wouldnt NASA tell us what they find?

Conspiracy theory extraordinare. Tell me.... Why wouldnt NASA tell us what they find?

Umm ... this would be one reason "In 10 years' time, we may have evidence not only that Earth is not unique, but also that life exists elsewhere in the universe," states the WEF Global Risks report for 2013. "The discovery of even simple life would fuel speculation about the existence of other intelligent beings and challenge many assumptions that underpin human philosophy and religion."

Umm ... this would be one reason "In 10 years' time, we may have evidence not only that Earth is not unique, but also that life exists elsewhere in the universe," states the WEF Global Risks report for 2013. "The discovery of even simple life would fuel speculation about the existence of other intelligent beings and challenge many assumptions that underpin human philosophy and religion."

I think most people would be fine if that was announced.... even the Vatican is talking about it.

The NASA "cover-up theory" is a bunch of nonsense.

They would, after making really sure, tell us and laugh all the way to the bank.

• Like 1

Nonsense. I think the majority of people believe in UFOs anyway - so they already not only think that there is life elsewhere, but that it's visiting us. Most of the rest of us have our heads screwed on and realise that the idea of life not existing elsewhere is high improbable.

There might be a tiny, tiny proportion of people who might be a bit freaked out. Hardly challenging human philosophy and religion (not that there's a problem with that). Its just fuel for people who want to justify their nutty conspiracy theories.

Anyway. The original statement has been blown out of all proportion by the media. What they meant was that the work done by the Rover will be scientifically highly significant.

The way scientists deal with the media shows no sign of getting any better.

Honestly, there is no reason not to believe in UFO's, they're just flying objects that have not been identified yet. Only some people link it with aliens, they however are just in need of some debunking :innocent:

As to what NASA found, it's indeed just the discovery of organic compounds in a martian soil sample. This is indeed one for the history books, from a purely scientific point of view, However, the media being what it is, it became waaaaaaay blown out of proportion.

And yes some people may be freaked out, but I think that as a whole, people will not really be too amazed.

Edited by TheSearcher

I seeeee... Well so much for that! :)

Thanks guys!

We all know that NASA has been keeping the Lid on the Mars mission due to the fact that Little Curiosity Has been having an affair with a Martian Robot thats just off screen ! We will get the Low Down when they announce the Marriage !

Now were having Alien contact of the Fifth-wheel kind ! :clap:

• Like 2