Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How many Roman Catholics are in the world?

Still Waters

There are an estimated 1.2 billion Roman Catholics in the world, according to Vatican figures. More than 40% of the world's Catholics live in Latin America - but Africa has seen the biggest growth in Catholic congregations in recent years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../world-21443313

More than 40% of the world's Catholics live in Latin America - but Africa has seen the biggest growth in Catholic

But every Pope in recorded history has been from Europe, haven't they. Perhaps it might be a bold move to break the mould and do something that would represent a sizeable proportion of the Catholic population.

- a black Pope? surely not! that would surely be a sign of the End times!

• Like 3

I assume that 1.2 billion estimate includes all those who may have had parents who were practising Catholics and were they, themselves baptised Catolics, but now no longer take an active part in any religion. Perhaps there aren't quite so many of the 'faithful' as the Church likes to make out.

• Like 1

The real problem here is that the figures depend either on RC Baptismal (Communion) records, or people saying they are RC (even though not following any of the doctrines).

I totally reject these figures because today you are not even able to cede from the Roman Catholic Cult. The fact that they are bringing their "no contraceptive" doctrines to 3rd world countries is a sick and disingenuous ploy to increase its congregation. These doctrines being "indoctrinated" into peoples who really need contraceptive advice and access to lift them out of interminable poverty... <_<

The whole basis of the Roman Catholic Cult is shrouded in Lies, non-biblical, and simple Eartly greed for power and control. ...,and YES, I am prepared to defend these statements with historical, biblical, and Canonical evidence should anyone ask

I was baptised a Catholic, took First Holy Communion and had my Confirmation.

So I'm on some list in the Vatican as being a member of the Catholic Church.

But I sure as hell ain't no Catholic these days.

I question the validity of those numbers.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

But every Pope in recorded history has been from Europe, haven't they. Perhaps it might be a bold move to break the mould and do something that would represent a sizeable proportion of the Catholic population.

Which very well might happen, according to the Bookies favourites. It would be particularly interesting if the Cardinal from Ghana were to be elected. With the whole "Petrus Romanus" issue, Cardinal Peter Appiah Turkson will draw the believers in this prophecy out declaring that this is the Peter spoken of, his name a dead-giveaway that prophecy is coming true before our eyes.

I assume that 1.2 billion estimate includes all those who may have had parents who were practising Catholics and were they, themselves baptised Catolics, but now no longer take an active part in any religion. Perhaps there aren't quite so many of the 'faithful' as the Church likes to make out.

much like my good self; the last time I went to church was at school, but I wonder if I'm still counted?

Hey! Maybe I could have say in choosing the new pope!

The real problem here is that the figures depend either on RC Baptismal (Communion) records, or people saying they are RC (even though not following any of the doctrines).

I totally reject these figures because today you are not even able to cede from the Roman Catholic Cult. The fact that they are bringing their "no contraceptive" doctrines to 3rd world countries is a sick and disingenuous ploy to increase its congregation. These doctrines being "indoctrinated" into peoples who really need contraceptive advice and access to lift them out of interminable poverty... <_<

The whole basis of the Roman Catholic Cult is shrouded in Lies, non-biblical, and simple Eartly greed for power and control. ...,and YES, I am prepared to defend these statements with historical, biblical, and Canonical evidence should anyone ask

i think I'd still rather have any Pope, however reactionary, than some of the "churches" trading under the flag of Protestantism, mind, like some of those calling themselves "Baptist churches". When people want to talk about all the bad things that "Christianity" does, it's mostly them that are responsible for the outrages they talk about.

i think I'd still rather have any Pope, however reactionary, than some of the "churches" trading under the flag of Protestantism, mind, like some of those calling themselves "Baptist churches". When people want to talk about all the bad things that "Christianity" does, it's mostly them that are responsible for the outrages they talk about.

I take you are joking about Baptist Churches?? I also take it that you are joking in suggesting that it it is Protestantism that is responsible for the Crusades, The Inquisition, systemic Paedophilia, the Dark Ages, Witch - Trials, Demonisation of Science, more recently - the imposition of Church taxes and complete lack of contraceptive freedom amongst your New Faithful in the 3rd World!!!

If you really mean to talk about "Cultism" (which I count the RC Church as one) where the adoration of a single person transcends the Message supposedly given then I would agree. Where "Infallibity" is enshrined in Canon Law, or doctrine (the Pope after all, has only been "infallible" since 1870!!), Celibacy is strictly enforced for its mindless Clerical Drones (yes, I can prove that this is non - scriptural),

Edited by keithisco

I take you are joking about Baptist Churches?? I also take it that you are joking in suggesting that it it is Protestantism that is responsible for the Crusades, The Inquisition, systemic Paedophilia, the Dark Ages, Witch - Trials, Demonisation of Science, more recently - the imposition of Church taxes and complete lack of contraceptive freedom amongst your New Faithful in the 3rd World!!!

I must say, this topic seems to have touched a bit of a nerve with you.

Westboro "Baptist" church, anyone? The Puritans and their witch hunts?

(The Dark Ages? I think actually it was only the Church that kept any kind of learning and literacy going after the collapse of the Roman empire.)

• Like 1

I would agree that the numbers probably include all Catholics (couch Catholics and practicing Catholics alike). I know a lot of people that when asked what rekigion they are they say "Catholic" but they don´t follow the traditions.

The Salem witch trials were not by Catholics were they?Witch hunts didn't start until after the reformation as I understand and were mainly done by Protestants that's not to say that Catholics didn't do some but let's keep a sense of proportion shall we and don't let a few bigots loose on the forum

fullywired

• Like 1

Woah, hey folks, before everything gets all nutty into who hurt/killed who most and under what circumstances... Though I have to say, 12 posts from how many Catholics in the world to Salem witch trials is pretty darn impressive.

Back to the OP. I do sometimes wonder how accurate some of the tallies are on how many people are of what religion. And I have to say, I had a problem with the little map and graph provided in the article. Latin America is only shaded in to denote South America. Central America and Mexico are shaded in as part of North America. South, Central, and Mexico are all part of the Latin American group if I'm not mistaken.

Just shows how quickly these "Christians" can turn against each other .....in 12 easy posts

A guy once said to me with a straight face that a black pope would mean the end of the world. But then he was also the same person who said that Catholics are permitted to kill Muslims and any other religious adherents who are not Cathoilc. He's also a basket collector and reader at his church and dated my sister for 7 long years... Crazy times.

Edited by Sean93

I must say, this topic seems to have touched a bit of a nerve with you.

Westboro "Baptist" church, anyone? The Puritans and their witch hunts?

(The Dark Ages? I think actually it was only the Church that kept any kind of learning and literacy going after the collapse of the Roman empire.)

The Westboro Baptist Church has no affiliation with the Baptist Church in America. It just happens to have a similar name.

The Westboro Baptist Church has no affiliation with the Baptist Church in America. It just happens to have a similar name.

Maybe that's one of the shortcomings of Protestantism; that it's such a wide ranging umbrella heading that anyone who wants to can call themselves whatever they like, and there's no one to police the use of whatever names they use. I'm sure that proper Baptist churches are extremely annoyed with Phelp's (and similar nuts') use of the name. But to the world at large, they see the word 'Baptist'. Maybe that's where the Catholic church has an advantage, in that they're able to keep control on charlatans trading under the name.