Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Turn Off the Ability to Feel Cold

Still Waters

USC neuroscientists have isolated chills at a cellular level, identifying the sensory network of neurons in the skin that relays the sensation of cold.

David McKemy, associate professor of neurobiology in the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, and his team managed to selectively shut off the ability to sense cold in mice while still leaving them able to sense heat and touch.

http://www.scienceda...30212172116.htm

If they ever find a "cure" for being miserable in summer heat I'll sign up to be the guinea pig for those experiments :w00t: :tu:

I can't see the advantage of this, except for a "super soldier" and even then... You feel the cold as a warning system to make you know it's dangerous.

Not feeling the cold won't stop someone from dying from it.

I can't see the advantage of this, except for a "super soldier" and even then... You feel the cold as a warning system to make you know it's dangerous.

Right.

Imagine being under hypothermia(a potentially extremely lethal condition) and not feeling the initial on-set at all.

Bad, bad, bad.

EDIT: I've heard of those whom can't feel pain, or heat. Hand on hot burner stove. Yikes.

Edited by pallidin

Right.

Imagine being under hypothermia(a potentially extremely lethal condition) and not feeling the initial on-set at all.

Bad, bad, bad.

EDIT: I've heard of those whom can't feel pain, or heat. Hand on hot burner stove. Yikes.

Yeah i've seen that as well. It's really bad.

Just relaised though, maybe being able to turn it off means they can learn how to turn it on when someone has it turned off naturally. Not sure if it would work that way though.

that's amazing except we don't need more dangerous medications with side effects however amazing finding though.another thing is pain is all in the mind/brain id we learn to focus and meditate and block pain by doing that we could block and eliminate pain completely no lie that's what meditation is about relaxing the body,mastering self control and so much more that's beneficial for the mind,spirit,soul and human body and etc.yoga,meditation,vitamins and supplements,herbal teas are my medications and natural as well and without any side effects and etc.yeah they have side effects you know which ones that its helpful and beneficial and do no harm to the body and etc.these pharmaceutical industries and the FDA know that these so called medications that help people are doing 3 times the harm than good.sure they help you in one area at the moment that you need care for but later and little by little they harm you in many other harmful ways and other parts of the body.plus they have all these negative side effects and etc.medications that the FDA APPROVESS ARE DANGEROUS PEOPLE AND HARMFUL!!!THE fda know that but there's money to be made from a sick and weakned society and do on purpose think about they play heroes.soin other words they poison you first then they have the nerve to play and pretend to be heroes when they themselves caused it in the 1st place

Edited by King Cobra 1408

Maybe prepping on how to be humane in the next ice age if the some of the power goes out at crucial times?

Coffey,i think the advantage of this maybe for students in their cheap digs

When i was in elementary I walked to school and thoroughly enjoyed walking in the cold with no jacket on, My body had gained a natural ability to cope with my surrounding temperatures, a cold snowy day? A refreshingly cool day with white stuff falling from the sky and sticking to the ground.. That was during a 3 year period that I never got sick. Everything was considerably bliss. The powers our bodys withhold inside and the powers of healthy progressive natural highs. Beauty of reality in its finest.. More so reason why we dont need drugs/ medications. When we gain a stability of how the reality of the body and mind works.

But then again that state can also get rid of defects and negative effects of medications, so a plus for the inapt.

Edited by KainFall

If they ever find a "cure" for being miserable in summer heat I'll sign up to be the guinea pig for those experiments :w00t: :tu:

All you have to do is take off articles of clothing one by one until you reach a satisfactory level of happiness.

Then you just need to cure the other people in the house by poking their eyes out.

• Like 1

Please let this be true!!! I'm sick of working in -40!!!!!