Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Most Religious US State Is ...

Hasina

The Most Religious US State Is ...

Mississippi holds onto its title as most religious U.S. state, with 58 percent of its residents saying they are very religious, according to a Gallup poll released Wednesday (Feb. 13).

The least religious state? Vermont.

About 40 percent of Americans said they were "very religious," meaning religion is an important part of their daily life and that they attend religious services every week or nearly every week. Some 31 percent indicated they were nonreligious, or that religion wasn't an important part of their daily life and they seldom or never attend such services.

The 10 most and least religious states remained relatively constant from the 2011 numbers, with the only change being the inclusion of Hawaii in the least religious list in place of New York.

Top 10 most religious states

• Mississippi: 58 percent are very religious
  • Utah: 56 percent
  • Alabama: 56 percent
  • Louisiana: 53 percent
  • Arkansas: 52 percent
  • South Carolina: 52 percent
  • Tennessee: 50 percent
  • North Carolina: 50 percent
  • Georgia: 48 percent
  • Oklahoma: 48 percent

Bottom 10 (least religious states)

• Vermont: 19 percent are very religious
  • New Hampshire: 23 percent
  • Maine: 24 percent
  • Massachusetts: 27 percent
  • Oregon: 29 percent
  • Rhode Island: 29 percent
  • District of Columbia: 30 percent
  • Washington (tie): 31 percent
  • Connecticut (tie): 31 percent
  • Alaska (tie): 31 percent
  • Hawaii (tie): 31 percent
  • Nevada (tie): 31 percent

Source: http://www.livescien...ious-state.html

• Like 1

Mississippi, Tennessee, Liousiana, Arkansas, and Alabama are in the top 10 most uneducated states in America. Coinicidence? I don't know.

Edited by CRYSiiSx2
  • Like 4

California didn't make the least religious list, despite a large share of irreligious people do live here on the west coast. I won't link being uneducated with religious adherence, but high religiousity is linked to political conservatism of the most religious states leaned more to the right side of the spectrum.

If those numbers are anywhere close to being true they are way down from several years ago. :tu:

Not by a long shot.

http://www.msubillin...ducation_in.htm

BTW, how are those output rates in Michigan these days....... :whistle:

My **** musta been outdated or something, anyway. I did fine here in MI, and I'm the only one I care about. Thanks for the concern though buddy :D

Edited by CRYSiiSx2

Mississippi, Tennessee, Liousiana, Arkansas, and Alabama are in the top 10 most uneducated states in America. Coinicidence? I don't know.

So you equate religious people to uneducated people?

I see a lot of redneck states there, not surprised. YEE HAW.

So you equate religious people with rednecks?

Makes me proud that Texas didn't make either list.

Why? What do you have against religious people?

My **** musta been outdated or something, anyway. I did fine here in MI, and I'm the only one I care about. Thanks for the concern though buddy :D

You only care about yourself? Glad most folks aren't like you. Seems perhaps you could use a little religion yourself.

You only care about yourself? Glad most folks aren't like you. Seems perhaps you could use a little religion yourself.

more like a need to feel belonging to something a lot bigger than them. that is why most ppl that lost everything, and their life seems to have no meaning foind piece in religion, regarless of which. believing in something makes them overcome their "no reason to live" mental state. they could believe in miracle plumber, not in jesus, or muhamed, and result will be the same.

But in this particular case he don't need that, it wont work, he just doesn't care much about ppl around, he is not in that state where he needs to find new meaning\direction in life.

Edited by aztek

Why? What do you have against religious people?

Notice I said 'either' list. Don't put words in my mouth.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

lets see. many say a comunity that lives below povery line means crime\drug ridden comunity, like gettos\projects railer parks. it may be true, however.

there is a town\comunity in upstate new york, a religious jewish comunity, that has highest poverty rate in usa, yet crime is almost none existant, i wonder does religion has anything to do with it??? i think it does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel,_New_York

Notice I said 'either' list. Don't put words in my mouth.

My bad. When I read it I read "list, either" instead of "either list" . Sorry about that.

Mississippi is thick country. Many southern states are traditionally religious. It's apart of the southern culture.

Not going into the religious part of this,but i am from Louisiana (which you misspelled,so much for higher education) only if we all could be like california with all it's highly educated yet the state is bankrupt beyond recognition.Michigan with 2 of the most violent poverty ridden cities in the whole world inside it's borders.Ahhhh......What will we ignorant redneck's ever do.

• Like 4

Jinkies folks, chill out with the bashing. We can have a civilized discussion about this subject without being so nasty.

• Like 3

I wasnt suprised Oregon was one of the least religious States along with Washington. With the legalization of MMP's its getting real hard to get off our lazy bums to make it into the churches.

The statistics do not reveal what percentage of the religious population is native to each state.

They did say this:

The just-released state-religion results are based on more than 348,000 interviews with adults ages 18 and older conducted from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2012, as part of Gallup Daily tracking. The results were weighted to be representative of each state's adult population by gender, age, race, Hispanic ethnicity and education, based on Census data.

• Like 1

Jinkies folks, chill out with the bashing. We can have a civilized discussion about this subject without being so nasty.

Well said :tu:

*Posts Removed*

Whenever you get religion and non-believers together, you are almost always heading towards a battle of wits or words. I am a very well known Atheist on these forums. I know because it is mainly a clash of ideology between two groups.