Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Most Religious US State Is ...

Hasina

So you equate religious people to uneducated people?

Pope Benedict has a PhD and was a university professor.

I just attended a religious-based luncheon of about 200 retired GE engineers and scientists.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

Pope Benedict has a PhD and was a university professor.

I just attended a religious-based luncheon of about 200 retired GE engineers and scientists.

I didn't equate religious people with uneducated people. Another poster did. But I agree with you that there isn't a correlation.

I didn't equate religious people with uneducated people. Another poster did. But I agree with you that there isn't a correlation.

I didn't mean for it to come off that way. My post was more in support of your comment.

Just trying to shoot a few holes in the emerging meme that religious = uneducated or ignorant.

• Like 3

I wonder if anyone has ever studied to see if there is a correlation between religion and age, and, more significantly, religion when one was in one's twenties and when in one's later years.

I started off religious and became less so, my parents did the opposite.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone has ever studied to see if there is a correlation between religion and age, and, more significantly, religion when one was in one's twenties and when in one's later years.

I started off religious and became less so, my parents did the opposite.

I would bet the Barna Group has. They've been collecting statistics involving religion for years.

This is just an informal observation. In most churches that I've attended over the years, the twenty-something group has been the least involved. It appears that people tend to leave religion after they move from home, and then return to religion upon having children. Again, this is just a generality.

Mississippi, Tennessee, Liousiana, Arkansas, and Alabama are in the top 10 most uneducated states in America. Coinicidence? I don't know.

While you might see uneducated. I tend to see rural poor. In many areas, the local church is what helps hold rural poor communities together. It gives them strength and something to believe in.

• Like 2

Did you call Michigan a city? Point proven. Thank you. Also, there is no apostrophy in "rednecks". Get on my level.

Um, Crimson said "Michigan with 2 of the most violent poverty ridden cities in the whole world inside it's borders". He didn't call Michigan a city.

• Like 2

My question is this, where does this view of religious people as 'uneducated' come from? And I have this sneeking suspicion that when people say that they mean 'Christians are uneducated', using a blanket term to really just insult one group.

• Like 1

My question is this, where does this view of religious people as 'uneducated' come from? And I have this sneeking suspicion that when people say that they mean 'Christians are uneducated', using a blanket term to really just insult one group.

just peoples need to put down religion and religious people in any way possible.

Being a non-native speaker I use to have a note on my profile encouraging people to correct my mistakes so I might learn. I found that no one ever did -- and it isn't because I don't make them as I find plenty re-reading what I post. I think it comes from an excess of politeness around here -- this is the most polite board I have participated on; kinda strange when you consider the topics.

Another thing I haven't seen on this board is "[sic]," one of the ruder ways of correcting someone's grammar.

I think it is fine to correct people's mistakes (not just grammatical mistakes but also mistakes of fact), depending on how it is done -- whether it is to be helpful or as a put-down.

• Like 1

I am not a religious person,but i know several who are and they are quite intelligent.It is starting to get a bit annoying when i log on and reply back to something that has been said about me and my retort is deleted very swiftly while what has been said to me sticks around for awhile!

I dont take that poll of intelligence by State seriously. Washington DC was not #1.

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 1

Being a non-native speaker I use to have a note on my profile encouraging people to correct my mistakes so I might learn. I found that no one ever did -- and it isn't because I don't make them as I find plenty re-reading what I post. I think it comes from an excess of politeness around here -- this is the most polite board I have participated on; kinda strange when you consider the topics.

Another thing I haven't seen on this board is "[sic]," one of the ruder ways of correcting someone's grammar.

I think it is fine to correct people's mistakes (not just grammatical mistakes but also mistakes of fact), depending on how it is done -- whether it is to be helpful or as a put-down.

My spelling is usually very good but my use of commas and apostrophes i admit can be atrocious haha.

I don't entirely agree. Uneducated doesn't mean stupid. But as a result of poor education the stretch of what is known to individuals is then very pigeonholed as how they grow up (in a religious household) that is what they become. Mainly because they haven't been educated to discover or consider any other possibilities.

A lower rate of religion in a state, at a high level, to me, shows the populace have been educated enough to consider and make their own choices regarding the issue.

Hmmm... I'm surprised Hawaii came in on the latter list. One of our streets made it into the Guinness book of worlds records a the street with the most churches as far as the US anyway. And I can hear a Samoan church choir singing about Jesus as I type.

I noticed that this it's a survey based on Christian religions which is something I think they should have pointed out because religion is organized faith and in Hawaii we have a plethora, from Buddhism to zoroastrianism. It's really quite interesting.