Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Terrorist Attack in Milwaukee

Independent1

The details are still coming in on this. Somebody deliberately brought down two high voltage electrical towers, dropping power for several MIlwaukee suburbs and our airport, Mitchel International.

As I get more details, I will post. It could be terrorism, or just juveniles causing trouble.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• Independent1

• gollum

• twpdyp

The details are still coming in on this.  Somebody deliberately brought down two high voltage electrical towers, dropping power for several MIlwaukee suburbs and our airport, Mitchel International.

As I get more details, I will post.  It could be terrorism, or just juveniles causing trouble.

298866[/snapback]

They are now reporting that the FBI is on the scene, and that power has been restored to the airport.

A news conference is scheduled for 10:00, although those usually run late.

The details are still coming in on this.  Somebody deliberately brought down two high voltage electrical towers, dropping power for several MIlwaukee suburbs and our airport, Mitchel International.

As I get more details, I will post.  It could be terrorism, or just juveniles causing trouble.

298866[/snapback]

They are now reporting that the FBI is on the scene, and that power has been restored to the airport.

A news conference is scheduled for 10:00, although those usually run late.

298895[/snapback]

Sorry, but I'm not exactly sure which time zone milwaukee is in... 10:00 what time zone? Also, tonight, tommorow morning, tommorow night?

Sorry, but I'm not exactly sure which time zone milwaukee is in... 10:00 what time zone? Also, tonight, tommorow morning, tommorow night?

298902[/snapback]

We are in the Central time zone. So far not much more info. They're investigating. It happened about 5:00. 17,000 people were without power, 8,00 still without.

The Oak Creek Police Cheif (one of our suburbs near the airport) is on TV now

They have not been able to get close yet, the electric company has not properly secured the lines yet (which is odd, since it has been 5 hours).

One tower fell into another---They don't know why yet.

Edited by Independent1

You're from Milwaukee right? I cant find this on any news! Keep us updated! BTW, its 10:00 Central now, right?

They just said something about a candidate being in town, and leaving an hour before the incident. Then I found this online:

The wife of Democratic Presidential hopeful John Edwards stopped by a fundraiser in La Crosse on Saturday. Edwards attended the annual chili cookoff at the Oktoberfest Grounds. She sampled some of the selections and shook plenty of hands. After the cookoff she headed downtown to meet and greet people on the streets and check out some of the shops. Edwards focused on one main message, every vote counts. Her husband John Edwards was not far away, he was campaigning in Milwaukee on Saturday.

Could this be connected? I don't know.

Still watching for more news, but I think once we hit 10:30 that will be all the local news for the night.

You're from Milwaukee right? I cant find this on any news! Keep us updated! BTW, its 10:00 Central now, right?

298915[/snapback]

It's 10:15 here now. I found this on our local newspaper's website: JSOnline

It seems like they are behind on reporting the story though.

So, what happened in Milwakee? Probably another 'isolated incident' and we won't hear any more about it. Trust me. cool.gif

If this was a terrorist attack it has got to be the most worthless attack I've ever heard of. Some people were inconvenienced they'll fix it end of story. Sounds like vandalism to me.

man those terrorists are really aiming low, it seems.

301286[/snapback]

The latest CIA intelligence shows that their next dastardly plot is to drive very sloiwly on the expressway in hopes of slightly inconveniencing americans by making them late for work.

The latest CIA intelligence shows that their next dastardly plot is to drive very sloiwly on the expressway in hopes of slightly inconveniencing americans by making them late for work.

301333[/snapback]

*fumes with rage* those diabolical geniuses...

301286[/snapback]

301333[/snapback]

*snorts* ROFL

You owe me a new soda!

If this was a terrorist attack it has got to be the most worthless attack I've ever heard of. Some people were inconvenienced they'll fix it end of story. Sounds like vandalism to me.

301282[/snapback]

If it was aimed at VP candidate Edwards (who apparently had flown in/out? just an hour before) then it might be significant.

The main current theory on the radio is that it was eco-terrorists.

Here is the latest story:

Investigators have found a pair of gloves and a metal tool near the site of two downed electrical towers in Oak Creek. The towers fell Saturday, leaving Mitchell International Airport and 17,000 homes without power.

The gloves, marked with the initials "B.G.", and the punch, which may have been used to free bolts from the towers, were found about 75 yards from the towers, said Oak Creek Police Chief Thomas Bauer.

"We believe they are related to the case," said Jeff Troy, acting special agent in charge of the FBI's Milwaukee office.

The gloves, known as lineman's gloves, are used in electrical work and in heavy construction, Bauer said. They may be purchased at home improvement stores, but companies also order them for employees. Bauer's theory is that the gloves were taken from a workplace.

"If these gloves are in your own garage, you're probably not going to put your initials on them," he said.

A search of the scene by investigators from the FBI, the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department, and the Milwaukee and Oak Creek police departments continued Tuesday. It probably will be finished today, Bauer said.

The investigators have searched the dense vegetation within a quarter-mile of the towers on their hands and knees, Troy said. Law enforcement officers and workers from Pewaukee-based American Transmission Co., which owns the towers, have found no evidence of tampering at other towers in the area, Bauer said.

Maripat Blankenheim, spokeswoman for American Transmission, said the sabotage will cost the company about $300,000. That includes the cost to dispose of the downed towers and to put up both temporary wooden towers and eventually new steel towers. The company is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to a conviction, likely on federal charges, for destruction of energy transmission facilities.

Authorities have not ruled out terrorism as a motive for the tampering with the 80-foot towers, located east of S. 13th St. near W. College Ave. Blankenheim said it would be impossible for a member of the public to have determined that those particular towers powered the airport.

The towers' collapse also left wires blocking railroad tracks used by Amtrak and Canadian Pacific trains.

Troy emphasized the possibility that the gloves, which appear to be size large, may have been stolen from the owner. Testing on them has not yet been completed. It is possible that whoever wore the gloves left sweat inside them that could yield usable DNA evidence, as was the case in a 2001 bank robbery.

Anyone with information is asked to call the FBI at (414) 291-4322.

Keep us updated on this story...sounds pretty suspicious ph34r.gif Sounds like something a terrorist would do. I don't really think they will make anything of this if they find out that it 'is' a terrorist....They will kill the story.

By Terrorist I assume you mean foreign terrorist, not the domestic variety.

Yes, foreign terrorist. But what about the terrorist cells in this country?...what do we call them?

Yeah, then we got out domestic nutcases. wacko.gif I'm saying that if it is foreign terrorists the story will just fade away.

Edited by Babs

Yes, foreign terrorist. But what about the terrorist cells in this country?...what do we call them?

It all really depends on your way of thinking Babs.

Would you concider your nieghbour to be a domestic terrorist or a foreign terrorist if, for arguments sake, he was a muslim, but brought up in your home town?

What if he was a lutheran(sp) but disliked the health or education policies of your country, but was a foreign national with a work permit?

What if he was a Jew, with no ties to your country, ecept being an illegal imigrant?

Would you then consider him to be a foreign or domestic terrorist?

Do you know what the political ideoligy behind your nieghbours thinking?

Do you know the diffrence between a foreign terrorist or a domestic one?

whistling2.gifwhistling2.gifwhistling2.gif

thus partially my fear of the patriot act

306912[/snapback]

They are still thinking eco-terrorist. They are now saying that the culprit probably had no idea the power lines went to the airport.

They are seeking 4 men who were sighted near another electric company building in Pewaukee (about 30 miles away) shortly after the incident, but in my opinion it sounds like a false lead.

I am wondering if the culprit thought he would take down power to a much larger part of the city. I think these power lines might have come from our main power plant in Oak Creek (suburb immediately south of Milwaukee) so it is possible. I'll be curious to see if they find out more.

Here is the latest story:

City of Pewaukee - A group of men reportedly emerged from a wooded area laughing and filmed themselves outside a transmission company less than an hour after the company's electrical towers were found collapsed in Oak Creek, City of Pewaukee police said Thursday.

An officer responded to a report of suspicious people at American Transmission Co. after two employees of that company and a security officer at We Energies in Pewaukee told police they saw the men shooting video and taking pictures outside the transmission company, according to a police report.

Police said they haven't found the men since they were reported outside the company, so they were unable to prove that any criminal activity occurred or draw any correlation between the two incidents.

"We took the call serious. We did a thorough follow-up investigation," Pewaukee Police Chief Gary Bach said. "Needless to say, it resulted in nothing found in wrongdoing, other than trespassing."

The witnesses provided a vague description of the men whom they described as Middle Eastern in appearance. The American Transmission employees and the security officer also described the men as dark-skinned and in their 30s and 40s.

The security officer said the men were wearing clothes for casual business with earth-tone colors. He described seeing a type of polo shirt with slacks. One of the men was wearing a pink shirt or sweater, he told police.

Ziad Hamdan, religious director of the Islamic Society of Milwaukee, said until the identities of the four men are known and authorities prove whether they have anything wrong, the report of seeing them outside the company won't carry any weight.

"We have to be careful rushing to judge people," Hamdan said.

Unfortunately, blame for crimes sometimes quickly goes to Middle Easterners, Hamdan said.

He pointed to the days after the Oklahoma City bombing, when people suspected Middle Eastern people of committing the attack.

In the end, however, "it was proved it was a white American that did this," Hamdan said, speaking of Timothy McVeigh.

According to the Pewaukee police report:

A systems operator for American Transmission called police shortly before 6:21 p.m. Saturday after he and another operator who was en route to the Oak Creek scene spotted the men in front of the facility off of Highway J.

Earlier, about 6:10 p.m., the security officer at We Energies was passing by the company and also saw the men, filming with cameras.

Police called on the Waukesha County sheriff's canine unit to check the wooded area from where the men first appeared, but nothing was found.

Police also notified Oak Creek police and the FBI.

The downed towers were found around 5:40 p.m. They left Mitchell International Airport and 17,000 homes without power after they brought down wires that fell across railroad tracks.

Oak Creek Police Chief Thomas Bauer said Thursday that it's difficult to assess what the men were doing.

"It's still America. People are interested in looking at railroads and power companies. They just do it because they're curious," he said.

Oh, gollum, why don't you go back to playing army?

Oh, gollum, why don't you go back to playing army?

As opposed to what you seem to be doing....sitting on your ****, shi**ing yourself that the big bad terrorist is coming to get you.

You are one sad, weak individual Babs. Enough said.