Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence That Jesus Was Married (2)

Ben Masada

EVIDENCE THAT JESUS WAS MARRIED (2)

This is about the Wedding at Cana. Matthew says that after Jesus was baptized, he came directly out of the water and was led into the desert where he fasted 40 days and 40 nights. (Mat. 3:16; 4:1) Mark says that immediately, on coming out of the water, the Spirit sent him out toward the desert where he stayed 40 days. (Mark 1:10,12) Luke says that, full of the Holy Spirit, Jesus returned from the Jordan and was conducted by the Spirit into the desert for 40 days. (Luke 4:1,2) John says the next day after Jesus was baptized, John the Baptist watched Jesus walk by and recommended two of his disciples to follow him. (John 1:35) On the third day after Jesus' baptism obviously, Jesus and his disciples, as well as his mother Mary were in a wedding at Cana. (John 2:1)

At a certain point of the celebrations, they ran out of wine and Jesus' mother immediately reported the incident to Jesus. Why Jesus and not the groom? According to a certain tradition the groom was the one in charge to provide for the wine. I got married in Israel and was reminded of that tradition. Mary could not think of a miracle because that would be the first of Jesus' signs. (John 2:11) The logic is that Mary reported the lack of wine to Jesus because Jesus was the groom and she needed to spare him the embarrassment. The waiters knew what Jesus had done. The one in charge called on Jesus aka the groom to congratulate him for the later wine which proved to be better than the first one when the normal procedure was the opposite. (John 2:9,10)

Now, if after the above evidence the wedding at Cana was not Jesus', how to explain his being in the desert fasting and being tempted to change stone into bread, according to the prior three gospels and now John reports him feasting in cana while being rather tempted to turn water into wine?

If what happened in Cana was indeed Jesus' wedding, he was married and the issue is over; if not, we have got either to get rid of the first three gospels or the fourth one because, Jesus was not fasting in the desert but feasting in Cana. Then, we have in our hands an ugly contradiction to solve.

Ben

What happened to "evidence Jesus was married" 1?

Did it not clear it up in that?

are you aware that john was written when the spiritulity seemed like it was being lost with the christians, it was written after the other gospels fact. to say that john contradicts is saying that the gospels that came before should be forgotten, which is illogical.

if god supported your endeavours you would be successful in convicing christians that their wrong. your either fighting a battle that god doesnt support or god doesnt think you should represent him.

According to Cayce the girl to be wed was a daughter of a cousin of Mary, a daughter of a younger sister of Elizabeth who name was also Mary and she was the one spoken of as the other Mary, Jesus`s mother prepare the wedding, the girl married the groom Roael one of the sons of Zebedee. The wine ran out and Mary asked Jesus to helped her.

• Like 1

John 2

3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

4 “Dear woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.”

Sounds to me like Jesus doesn't think he is responsible for the wine, which would suggest he's not the groom.

• Like 1

John 2

4 “Dear woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.”

Sounds to me like Jesus doesn't think he is responsible for the wine, which would suggest he's not the groom.

:tu: Amazing what CONTEXT does isn't it?
  • Like 1

are you religious your self?

What do you mean by being religious? Judaism is more akin to a way of life than simply a religion.

What happened to "evidence Jesus was married" 1?

Did it not clear it up in that?

Did it become clear enough for you that Jesus was a married man in thread part 1? If it did, you are right; I didn't not have to bring part 2 up. I have already part 3 and 4 in case some people need more to believe.

Ben

are you aware that john was written when the spiritulity seemed like it was being lost with the christians, it was written after the other gospels fact. to say that john contradicts is saying that the gospels that came before should be forgotten, which is illogical.

What would be logical, to deal with the contradictions? Yes, I am aware that the gospel attributed to John was written several years

after the synoptics. As a matter of fact, the idea to discard three gospels and adopt just one wouldn't be too bad. They serve only to crontradict eath other. Take for example Matthew and Luke. It is a nasty work out to try to understand Jesus' childhood between those two.

Ben

Did it become clear enough for you that Jesus was a married man in thread part 1? If it did, you are right; I didn't not have to bring part 2 up. I have already part 3 and 4 in case some people need more to believe.

Ben

i got him marrying Mary in the 1st episode, but can`t we have him marry someone else each time in the other series?

if god supported your endeavours you would be successful in convicing christians that their wrong. your either fighting a battle that god doesnt support or god doesnt think you should represent him.

How do you know He doesn't? That I know of, I can report 13 souls brought to Judaism as a result of my work. Two of them were from the Christian faction "Messianic Jews" who returned to Judaism proper. Eleven were from the Christian denomination called "Seventh-

Day Adventists." Now, that I can't record, God knows how many there are! I was challenged into a public debate with a Baptist Pastor

at LACC in Los Angeles and, at the end many of the assembly would ask how to be a Jew and I had to give away to several of them the telephone number of the local Beth Din in charge of conversions. It seems to me I am allowed to represent the Lord. Then, we have in Ezekiel 20:41 that, "By means of Israel, the Lord manifests His glory in the sight of the nations."

Ben

According to Cayce the girl to be wed was a daughter of a cousin of Mary, a daughter of a younger sister of Elizabeth who name was also Mary and she was the one spoken of as the other Mary, Jesus`s mother prepare the wedding, the girl married the groom Roael one of the sons of Zebedee. The wine ran out and Mary asked Jesus to helped her.

No quote to document what you say and no need anyways. It makes no sense. There is absolutely nothing in the text to assert that the groom, if not Jesus, had been consulted, since his was the traditional assignment to provide for the wine. Then, Mary, the mother of Jesus could not have gone to Jesus for help because she had never seen him making any kind of miracle. The gospel writer clearly reports that it was Jesus very first miracle. Therefore, Mary went to Jesus because he was indeed the groom.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada

John 2

Yes, "Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Am I the groom? Go to the groom and let him know. There was a groom, I suppose. Why not a single word about him? That the bride was not talked about, I can understand in a religious Jewish environment. But the grom is always the celebrity in a Jewish wedding.

Ben

i got him marrying Mary in the 1st episode, but can`t we have him marry someone else each time in the other series?

No, you can have more and more evidences that he was a married man. And IMHO, the bride was Mary Magdalene as many other evidences tell me so. Let me know when you are ready for evidence part 3.

Ben

That the bride was not talked about, I can understand in a religious Jewish environment.

Nice!!!

I'm Christian soooooo I don't fight over pennies I'm Leiding the right road f u.

To discuss about Jesus' social status is not "fighting over pennies." If Jesus was not a married man, even his title of Rabbi or

Master becomes doubtiful.

Ben

No quote to document what you say and no need anyways. It makes no sense. There is absolutely nothing in the text to assert that the groom, if not Jesus, had been consulted, since his was the traditional assignment to provide for the wine. Then, Mary, the mother of Jesus could not have gone to Jesus for help because she had never seen him making any kind of miracle. The gospel writer clearly reports that it was Jesus very first miracle. Therefore, Mary went to Jesus because he was indeed the groom.

Ben

John 2-1-And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:

Some suppose that the third day, mentioned here, refers to the third day of the marriage feast: such feasts lasting among the Jews seven days. See Judges 14:12, Judges 14:17, Judges 14:18,

Jesus arrived on the third day of the wedding feast, there for it was not his wedding:)

Edited by docyabut2

Yes, "Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Am I the groom? Go to the groom and let him know. There was a groom, I suppose. Why not a single word about him? That the bride was not talked about, I can understand in a religious Jewish environment. But the grom is always the celebrity in a Jewish wedding.

Ben

The gospels are written about Jesus. If we were reading a document about the wedding and it didn't mention the groom, it'd be weird, certainly. But we're reading about a miracle performed by Jesus, so we naturally get only enough details to put the miracle in context--the identity of those being married is inconsequential.

• Like 1

John 2-1-And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:

Some suppose that the third day, mentioned here, refers to the third day of the marriage feast: such feasts lasting among the Jews seven days. See Judges 14:12, Judges 14:17, Judges 14:18,

Jesus arrived on the third day of the wedding feast, there for it was not his wedding:)

The third day after Jesus was immersed (baptized) by Yonathan (John) in the Jordan River. The next day or the second day after the immertion John saw that Jesus was walking by and suggested to two of his disciples to follow Jesus. (John 1:35-39) Jesus was on his way to Galilee (Cana). Then, on the third day he was there. "And the mother of Jesus was there." But of course! What mother would not attend to his son's wedding? Nobody assumes that it was the third day of a wedding celebration. What are you talking about? Again, it was the third day since the day of his immersion by John in the Jordan River.

Ben

The gospels are written about Jesus. If we were reading a document about the wedding and it didn't mention the groom, it'd be weird, certainly. But we're reading about a miracle performed by Jesus, so we naturally get only enough details to put the miracle in context--the identity of those being married is inconsequential.

The miracle was only the way found by the writer or editor or the Church to cover up the truth about the real groom in that wedding at Cana. The Church could not live with the Pauline idea that God in the flesh of Jesus could be a married man. What happened here was the interpolation of a pious forgery. Now, Christians are in trouble to solve the contradictions.

Ben

The third day after Jesus was immersed (baptized) by Yonathan (John) in the Jordan River. The next day or the second day after the immertion John saw that Jesus was walking by and suggested to two of his disciples to follow Jesus. (John 1:35-39) Jesus was on his way to Galilee (Cana). Then, on the third day he was there. "And the mother of Jesus was there." But of course! What mother would not attend to his son's wedding? Nobody assumes that it was the third day of a wedding celebration. What are you talking about? Again, it was the third day since the day of his immersion by John in the Jordan River.

Ben

Ben heres some interesting info on Jewish weddings, it appears Jesus arrived on a feast day to produce the wine, however does`nt it say they do not marry women on a feast day, neither virgins, nor widows:''

The reason of it was, that they might not mix one joy with another; and lest a man should leave the joy of the feast, for the joy of his wife.For he must be employed in the marriage feast three days before the marriage.So considering the governer said the best wine was saved until the last,must have meant the last day of the feast, so Jesus was`n there on the frist few days of the feast before the marriage. :)

http://bible.cc/john/2-1.htm

Edited by docyabut2

Ben heres some interesting info on Jewish weddings, it appears Jesus arrived on a feast day to produce the wine, however does`nt it say they do not marry women on a feast day, neither virgins, nor widows:''

The reason of it was, that they might not mix one joy with another; and lest a man should leave the joy of the feast, for the joy of his wife.For he must be employed in the marriage feast three days before the marriage.So considering the governer said the best wine was saved until the last,must have meant the last day of the feast, so Jesus was`n there on the frist few days of the feast before the marriage. :)

I know about Jewish wedding celebrations and I know you are speculating - which is not bad to speculate - but IMHO, the third day in Cana has nothing to do with Jesus arriving already on the third day of the wedding. It is the third day after his immersion by John. In fact, that mikveh in the Jordan was Jesus' anointing for the Rabbinate which he was supposed to confirm with his wedding within the next three days. Otherwise, he could not officiate as a Rabbi for being a single man. A Rabbi or Master could not teach as a single man. He had to be married. And as Paul himself said, married at least once. (I Tim. 3:2)

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada