Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

Professor T

force=mass x accelaration professor, so something weighing 10t, travelling at 10,000mph would have a kinetic force of 100,000t, and that'd REALLY hurt.....

Far out.. nicely explained...

so in other words,

one rock at approx 2 meters diameter hurled at siberia really really fast = over 1000 injured..

Who needs nukes..

• Like 1

K-9 is reving up the Illudium PU-36 Space Modulator as we speak shrooma

• Like 1

It sure is. Its all mind boggling stuff. Just do not get how they did not see this one coming.

Maybe they did and knew they could not stop it in time, so instead of causing a panic, they just hoped for the best and waited to see what the outcome was?

Could that happen? would they do that? Instead of warning people because nothing could be done to stop it, they keep it quiet? They know about the ones which are not going to hit Earth, so why not know about the one which will??

as every woman knows freeto, size matters, and I think this one was just too small to be seen!

but having said that, they can track orbital space debris half the size of the russian meteorite.....

so in other words,

one rock at approx 2 meters diameter hurled at siberia really really fast = over 1000 injured..

Who needs nukes..

And we wonder how we beat out the Neanderthals...we could throw rocks harder.

• Like 1

2m is probably too small for us too pick up tbh.

they use computers programs for things such as Asteroid DA-

you are probably right. just thought it might be a good conspiracy theory.

Better than a UFO surely?

I am sticking with it, they knew and could not stop it. so did not tell us down to 2 reasons.....to stop a panic and to see what would happen.

Do we know if the Russian president was above land at the time or in some underground meteorite proof bunker?

This was probably seen by the missile defence radars/satellites, but coming from an unexpected trajectory and speed for any expected ICBM, then there was no time to issue any warning. I think unless it is possible to give a reasonably accurate location and at least 30 minutes warning, then it may be best to be quiet.

• Like 1

so in other words,

Who needs nukes..

Shhhh, you give away the secret plan. Oooops :ph34r:

• Like 1

ICBM
Would be too slow to hit it at that speed as well. Our own missiles fly much much slower then that speed. 54,000 kmh I dont believe we could do much but take potshots at it and even then there not designed to hit a 2m target yet. Close but it would be a hard one and we just arent quite there yet. Even in America. Edited by AsteroidX

2m is probably too small for us too pick up tbh.

they use computers programs for things such as Asteroid DA-

luke skywalker could bullseye womp rats in his T-16, and they're not much bigger than two meters,

and he was just a farmboy!

:-)

• Like 4

I wish all the people injured a speedy recovery. Does Russia attract more ET objects than the rest of the world?

• Like 2

I wish all the people injured a speedy recovery. Does Russia attract more ET objects than the rest of the world?

It is the worlds largest country.

due to it's size, russia has a bigger chance, percentage-wise, of being hit. the urals alone have been hit four times in the last hundred years!

but with the earth being mostly covered in water, who knows how many hits go unnoticed.....

does anyone know around what time the asteroid is going to pass close to the earth???i am going to watch hopefully at night and hopefully see it.the universe is amazing!!! and mother earth as well.anyway to the people I'm sorry that happen to them and wish you the best of luck and hope everybody gets better real soon!!!especially the children but like i said everyone.like around what time did this happen anyone know more reliable information?as in how bad it really is and etc.

does anyone know around what time the asteroid is going to pass close to the earth??

you'll need to watch the vids then...its already happened

Edited by seeder

@kingcobra,

the meteor has already passed at it's closest point of approach, but it wouldn't have been visible to the naked eye anyway!

there are, however, plenty of good images on the internet of the meteor, so if you just google it, i'm sure something will turn up!

as for the russian meteorite, nobody was killed, most of the injuries were from flying glass, and unfortunately, 200 children were injured, but thankfully, none of them seriously!

• Like 1

99.9% of scientific instruments were pointed at a different Asteroid yesterday.

2m is very small. A black dot on a black background.

Russia may have seen it a minute at the most before it entered the atmosphere. These types of events will not be prevented in the near future.

Just be glad this didn't happen over Moscow during the height of the Cold War! Where is Slim Pickens when we need him?

Edited by Sundew

No way was that meteor only 2 meters big..

Surely a rock only 2 meters large wouldn't do that ammount of damage..

The mass has been estimated at ~10 tonnes from what I've read (which would equate to a piece of rock or ice 2-3 meters wide depending on the density)

That's 10,000Kg.

The velocity it entered the atmosphere is estimated to have been 14000meters/sec

Kinetic Energy = 0.5 * mass * (velocity^2) = 0.5 * 10000 * (15,000^2) = ~110 billion Joules

1 kiloton TNT = ~4.2 billion Joules.

Therefore a very rough and ready calculation would suggest that the meteor had the equivalent of the order of a 20 kiloton nuclear bomb.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 2

Just do not get how they did not see this one coming.

It's not difficult to understand. This object was tiny and fast moving. Telescopes can not see all of the sky all of the time. It was just too small to be picked up.

Scientists are focusing their efforts on larger objects. Whist is is not great that 900 people were hurt there are objects up their that would wipe out a sizeable proportion of the human race. Fortunately these objects are larger and easier to see.

Maybe they did and knew they could not stop it in time, so instead of causing a panic, they just hoped for the best and waited to see what the outcome was?

Nope.

Could that happen? would they do that? Instead of warning people because nothing could be done to stop it, they keep it quiet? They know about the ones which are not going to hit Earth, so why not know about the one which will??

Unlikely.

Their are a lot of amateurs with very impressive telescopes these days. It is also no secret how to calculate an orbit from observational data, we've known how to do that since Kepler and Newton in the 16th Century. The scientists simply could not hide an object.

• Like 2

force=mass x accelaration professor, so something weighing 10t, travelling at 10,000mph would have a kinetic force of 100,000t, and that'd REALLY hurt.....

No, that's all wrong.

Force is indeed mass * acceleration, but 10,000 mph is a velocity, not an acceleration.

Secondly, the units are all completely muddled up. You can't just reckless multiply a mixed bag of units and hope the answer comes out in SI or imperial units. The result of multiply tonnes * miles / hour is NOT a measure of force in tonnes.

• Like 2

Russia Meteor Not Linked to Asteroid Flyby

728155main1meteormap673.jpg

A meteor seen flying over Russia on Feb. 15 at 3:20: 26 UTC impacted Chelyabinsk. Preliminary information is that this object was unrelated to asteroid 2012 DA14, which made a safe pass by Earth today. Image credit: Google Earth, NASA/JPL-Caltech

› Larger view › Related telecon

Preliminary information indicates that a meteor in Chelyabinsk, Russia, is not related to asteroid 2012 DA14, which is flying by Earth safely today.

The Russia meteor is the largest reported since 1908, when a meteor hit Tunguska, Siberia. The meteor entered the atmosphere at about 40,000 mph (18 kilometers per second). The impact time was 7:20:26 p.m. PST, or 10:20:26 p.m. EST on Feb. 14 (3:20:26 UTC on Feb. 15), and the energy released by the impact was in the hundreds of kilotons.

Based on the duration of the event, it was a very shallow entry. It was larger than the meteor over Indonesia on Oct. 8, 2009. Measurements are still coming in, and a more precise measure of the energy may be available later. The size of the object before hitting the atmosphere was about 49 feet (15 meters) and had a mass of about 7,000 tons.

The meteor, which was about one-third the diameter of asteroid 2012 DA14, was brighter than the sun. Its trail was visible for about 30 seconds, so it was a grazing impact through the atmosphere.

It is important to note that this estimate is preliminary, and may be revised as more data is obtained.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/asteroidflyby.html

DC Agle 818-393-9011

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.

agle@jpl.nasa.gov

2013-061

arrow3.gifSource

Well.

before this thread degrades to a boring debate on how to calculate mass with acceleration, or how atronomical events are calculated and how things should be percieved in atronimical circles, I want to say that it it was a beautiful/power thing to witness..

It is a sad shame about the injuries and damages.. But one can't deny that this event was oozing with wowness.. Wish I was there to see it.

• Like 3

What is normal? You mean normal as in the last 100, 200, 300 years? Normal as in since history has been accurately recorded? Or normal in the last 4.5 billion years this rock has been circling around the sun? Russia is huge...statistically speaking by land masses...it will get hit more often.

I am pretty sure this type of thing happened regularly over the "big picture" time scale. No doom...nothing paranormal.

By the way, "not suggesting anything paranormal here. But you HAVE to admit that this isn't normal." Is one definition of "paranormal"...

I get the condescending snobbery, that's for sure.

Feel better?

But one can't deny that this event was oozing with wowness.. Wish I was there to see it.

Yeah, me too, although, like you, I wish that no one had been hurt.

• Like 2