Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

Professor T

Lots of damage and injuries,... still, next time (because there will be a next one) maybe we wont be so "lucky".

• Like 2

Even though the authorities are telling us the two events are separate, I know that often asteroids have a collection of junk around them (comes from their bumping into each other over the billions of years) that slowly drifts away but remains in loose orbit around the main object.

This seems to me far more likely than pure coincidence.

But the Russia meteor came in at an estimated trajectory that was almost 90 degrees to the trajectory of 2012 DA14 and came towards the earth from the opposite side that 2012 DA14 passed over.

No way that could be an associated object with such a small asteroid (50m) which would have a tiny gravitational force so couldn't have been dragging around an object well over 17,000 miles away and which couldn't have been moving at almost a right angle to it anyway.

322d719e6c0985306f3797d643c37c6d.jpeg

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

It takes very little in space to keep two objects moving together, and the issue would be momentum, not gravity. As the objects approached the Earth, its gravity would greatly alter the motion of the one coming closest, so it is hard to draw any conclusions from the angles of approach.

Its just that we go for such long periods without anything that dramatic, and then we have them so close to each other. Coincidence seems a stretch. That they were traveling on roughly parallel paths, gradually drifting apart seems so much more likely. I don't know if the computers are powerful enough to trace back how they were moving before they approached the earth. These computations are fiendish.

• Like 1

Somehow this all reminds me on Carl Sagan and his thoughts. Quote:

"Earth is lovely place. Things changed but slowly. You can lead a full life and never encounter a natural catastrophe more violent then a storm. We become relaxed, unconcerned. But history of solar system and even in human history there are clear records of extraordinary and devastating catastrophes."

Edit: Just look our moon. Its chronicle. Museum of ancient impacts.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

so it is hard to draw any conclusions from the angles of approach.

Wrong.

From the angle of approach you can deduce the orbit of the objects. As they approached from different directions they must have been in different orbits, If they are in different orbits they are not associated.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 1

Well you may be right, but I think it is far more difficult than that. I've seen some work with three-body problems and we had no idea this thing was coming until it was on us -- so the drawings showing it coming in from virtually a straight line have got to be nothing more than projections. Further, I see the moon in position to complicate even more.

Nevertheless, I have no desire to support what seems to be the beginnings of a new conspiracy theory. Please however ask question before you so bluntly contradict someone.

It's not difficult to understand. This object was tiny and fast moving. Telescopes can not see all of the sky all of the time. It was just too small to be picked up.

Scientists are focusing their efforts on larger objects. Whist is is not great that 900 people were hurt there are objects up their that would wipe out a sizeable proportion of the human race. Fortunately these objects are larger and easier to see.

Nope.

Unlikely.

Their are a lot of amateurs with very impressive telescopes these days. It is also no secret how to calculate an orbit from observational data, we've known how to do that since Kepler and Newton in the 16th Century. The scientists simply could not hide an object.

I understand that it was small.

I was just wondering how they are constantly watching the skies and did not notice it even coming towards us. .....unless it was debris from the bigger meteorite?

i am just trying to get my head round the fact that it must have been heading this way for some time if it has nothing to do with the other meteorite.

if they can not detect a meteorite this size, does that mean they would not be able to detect a spaceship if it was around the same size too coming this way?

If the answer is no, then that means that we could have been visited, if the answer is yes, then that means we have not been.

I understand that it was small.

I was just wondering how they are constantly watching the skies and did not notice it even coming towards us. .....unless it was debris from the bigger meteorite?

If you understand that it is small then your question shouldn't be necessary. What part of small things being difficult or impossible to see is it that you aren't getting?

i am just trying to get my head round the fact that it must have been heading this way for some time if it has nothing to do with the other meteorite.

Do you mean asteroid. An object is only a meteorite if it has actually hit the ground.

if they can not detect a meteorite this size, does that mean they would not be able to detect a spaceship if it was around the same size too coming this way?

Probably, but it would also depend on how far away it is, how quickly it's moving, how reflective it is, etc.

If the answer is no, then that means that we could have been visited, if the answer is yes, then that means we have not been.

Non sequitur.

We have no idea what technology an alien civilisation might have so we have no idea whether our technology could detect them regardless of the size of the craft.

If you understand that it is small then your question shouldn't be necessary. What part of small things being difficult or impossible to see is it that you aren't getting?

no need to be rude. the point i was asking was could it have been a bit from the other ASTEROID? If it is that small to not to have noticed it, then they would not have necessarily noticed it breaking off somewhere out there????

• Like 1

no need to be rude. the point i was asking was could it have been a bit from the other ASTEROID? If it is that small to not to have noticed it, then they would not have necessarily noticed it breaking off somewhere out there????

It wasn't a part of DA14, the directions are all wrong, but it could well of broken off another asteroid at some point though. :)

• Like 1

It wasn't a part of DA14, the directions are all wrong, but it could well of broken off another asteroid at some point though. :)

See, thats better. But I expect a reasonable answer from you.

Do they know about the other asteroid or is that nowhere near us to even think about?

Just shows that we can not be prepared for whatever may be heading towards us. The Russian one was too small to be spotted, but it did do a fair bit of damage. A few more of them and we could be in trouble and we could nothing about it because we do not see them coming.

• Like 1

There seem to have been another meteor rain, and explosion,... over Cuba this time.

And over California.

To be continued I guess.

• Like 1

Here is a link to an article, including a video, about the meteorite in Cuba. The fall is described as occurring at 0100 GMT on Friday, a couple of hours before the Chelyabinsk meteorite. Other reports said the Cuban meteorite fell on Wednesday. It's unclear if one date or the other is incorrect, or if there could be reports about two different meteorites in Cuba, one on Wednesday, and one on Friday. link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/second-meteor-video-cuba-two-1712957

• Like 1

Here is a link to an article, including a video, about the meteorite in Cuba. The fall is described as occurring at 0100 GMT on Friday, a couple of hours before the Chelyabinsk meteorite. Other reports said the Cuban meteorite fell on Wednesday. It's unclear if one date or the other is incorrect, or if there could be reports about two different meteorites in Cuba, one on Wednesday, and one on Friday. link: http://www.mirror.co...uba-two-1712957

maybe this is a bit of rock and the Russian one are from the same asteroid which is somewhere out there.

If bits come away from an asteroid way way out in space, then by the time they get pulled towards Earth, after a bit of floating around and considering the Earth rotates, then it does not mean they will land in the same place. just asking??????????????

• Like 1

Now some Russian is saying this was a missile test from America lol

Imagine this had happened in a major city in the Soviet Union during the 70's of the past century... or on the border between present day Pakistan and India, or in North Korea.

• Like 1

maybe this is a bit of rock and the Russian one are from the same asteroid which is somewhere out there.

If bits come away from an asteroid way way out in space, then by the time they get pulled towards Earth, after a bit of floating around and considering the Earth rotates, then it does not mean they will land in the same place. just asking??????????????

That's funny, I have been thinking of the same.

It may be a very large spread out swarm in front of a large rock.

Oh well, I think I watch to many movies, lol.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

Imagine this had happened in a major city in the Soviet Union during the 70's of the past century... or on the border between present day Pakistan and India, or in North Korea.

Thats the thing, it could happen anywhere.

But there are many countries where if they do not think it is an attack from another country, they believe it is an attack on them by God..

I remember watching in disbelief a documentary about the Thailand tsunami where some people believed it happened because they had upset their god.

I doubt the Russians think it is the Americans, they have radar to track things coming into their air space and would have said something a lot earlier.

• Like 2

Thats the thing, it could happen anywhere.

But there are many countries where if they do not think it is an attack from another country, they believe it is an attack on them by God..

I remember watching in disbelief a documentary about the Thailand tsunami where some people believed it happened because they had upset their god.

I doubt the Russians think it is the Americans, they have radar to track things coming into their air space and would have said something a lot earlier.

That's why I said, 'what if it had happened in the Soviet Union during the 1970s'.

And personally I prefer people thinking they had angered some god above people thinking their enemy/neigbouring country had launched a missile.

• Like 1

The Russians/China/Japan?AZ/ and the EU and many countries are able to track things leaving others airspace which is moreso important in these types of events then reentry. Thats the tracking bit. Are they shooting at us. We know within a moment or two where a Best Korean missile is going to land. That is if it doesnt assplode along the way itself.

• Like 1

That's why I said, 'what if it had happened in the Soviet Union during the 1970s'.

And personally I prefer people thinking they had angered some god above people thinking their enemy/neigbouring country had launched a missile.

if it had happened in the soviet union during the 1970`s and they could not see it in time with their own tracking devices to stop it, I doubt we would be discussing it today on here...or anywhere.

• Like 2