Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

Professor T

Finally some good quality images of the meteor. This guy was out in the countryside with a professional camera to take photos of landscape. He had just fixed camera to tripod when...... He said at first he thought it was a nuke. His site is all in Russian, but I post the link for his photos, they are beautiful

http://marateaman.livejournal.com/27910.html

• Like 5

Finally some good quality images of the meteor. This guy was out in the countryside with a professional camera to take photos of landscape. He had just fixed camera to tripod when...... He said at first he thought it was a nuke. His site is all in Russian, but I post the link for his photos, they are beautiful

http://marateaman.li....com/27910.html

Cool Photos.. Those clouds are awesome..

http://marateaman.li....com/27910.html

Here is the page, translated with Google Translator:

http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmarateaman.livejournal.com%2F27910.html

• Like 2

have they recovered fragments?

• Like 1

Nothing reported, though it seems at Ekaterinburg some small rocks have been under spectro analysis, or some other form of magic....

• Like 2

A public park is to be built in Chelyabinsk to comemerate the meteor, and there will be some bronze statue, though design and sculptor still secret. I would not be surprised if in future February 15 becomes officialy known as "Day of the Meteor". A boy born on that day was going to be named Tamerlane, but now his parents will name him Meteor. I think when he is old enough to understand, then he will be proud of such a name.

• Like 2

Are you serious??

About which aspect, the park and statue or Meteor as a name?. I think it is an heroic name, though I do not know how it will be as a diminutive, there needs to be some invention about that. However, he will certainly be метеорёнок, Meteoryonok, child of the meteor. And looking into the future, any son of his will have patronymic Meteorevich, son of the meteor, seems cool to me, like some superhero name :)

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri
  • Like 2

Nothing reported, though it seems at Ekaterinburg some small rocks have been under spectro analysis, or some other form of magic....

Meteorite fragments found in Russia's Urals region

Fragments from a meteorite have been found in Russia's Urals region where it struck on Friday, injuring some 1,200 people, Russian scientists say.

The fragments were detected around a frozen lake near Chebarkul, a town in the Chelyabinsk region, where the meteorite is believed to have landed.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Meteorite Fragment Brought to Moscow

MOSCOW, February 21 (RIA Novosti) – The first fragment of the meteorite which spectacularly crashed to earth in central Russia last week was delivered to Moscow for analysis on Friday.

“This is the first piece, but it’s not the only one our colleagues collected,” said Mikhail Nazarov, head of the science laboratory where the meteorite will be analyzed.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

[...] However, he will certainly be метеорёнок, Meteoryonok, child of the meteor. And looking into the future, any son of his will have patronymic Meteorevich, son of the meteor, seems cool to me, like some superhero name :)

Slightly better than Электрофикация, but still... Imagine Mетеорёнок (Метеор) Полиграфович Челябинский :no:

Slightly better than Электрофикация, but still... Imagine Mетеорёнок (Метеор) Полиграфович Челябинский :no:

Fantastic name :D

and when I saw Электрофикация I immediatly though of Приключеня электроника. weird....

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri

and another...

Massive green 'fireball' blazes across California sky in another too-close-for-comfort meteor shower

article-2283311-18375080000005DC-803_634x293.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2283311/Massive-green-fireball-blazes-California-sky-meteor-shower.html

and another...

Fireballs like this are fairly common and pose no threat to life and limb, the only reason they are being reported world-wide is because of the Russian meteor.

• Like 2

Fantastic name :D

and when I saw Электрофикация I immediatly though of Приключеня электроника. weird....

Heh... Brings old memories.

[back on topic]

To echo Waspie's post, one can estimate how often asteroids (meteoroids) of particular size will collide with Earth

nature01238-f3.2.jpg

(Figure 3, Nature 420, 294-296 (21 November 2002); for larger than 200 m see Figure 4)

• Like 1

Russia meteor's origin tracked down

There is a thread on this HERE.