Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid targeting system proposed

william joseph

Like all sentient beings we wish to live comfortably in as little pain as possible with the understanding that we will not live forever. The looming issue is whether we as a civilization expect to perpetuate. If so, then we certainly need to focus altruistically on a plan to promote the survival of our civilization whether it be from falling debris or other peril. That is an evolutionary step forward. Can we frame our individual lives as selfless rather than selfish entities?

i really would much rather someone spend the money on getting rid of the nuclear weapons which are popping up all over the joint.

Thats where the real danger lies.

Funny really, they were all watching the DA14 and on the other side of the world we were getting bombarded with "small rocks" no one knew they were coming or where they came from.

ps: my school where one them bestest in Sauf London. 14343640-illustration-featuring-a-satisfied-smiley.jpg

(in regards to bold print) That almost sounds like a message, doesn't it? The translation would be, "Yes, good job on tracking near-earth-objects. But guess what? I can hit you whenever I want to hit you and you can't do anything to stop it."

I am convinced that there's no coincidence here. If there were, the Russian object would have been a piece of DA14. But we were made VERY aware that that wasn't even a remote possibility.

Rocks like the one that blew up over Russia could be tracked... But to what point?? They clearly are not going to do much more then damage a building or two. No one was reported killed that I know of. I'd much rather the scientists keep looking for the "game ending", Boss Monster asteroids, and let the little ones just take care of themselves.

This idea of people turning meteors into weapons seems ironic -- back to the age when we throw rocks at each other.

I have no doubt that an early-warning system for stray rocks heading our way will happen. The technology is there just begging to be used. Risk management involves multiplying the chance of an occurrence times the severity. In this case the chance is small but the consequence (things on the order of the obliteration of a city or worse) severe enough that the equations show the need. (We already have such a system for planet-obliterating type objects -- it doesn't seem any present any near danger).

Rocks like the one that blew up over Russia could be tracked... But to what point?? They clearly are not going to do much more then damage a building or two. No one was reported killed that I know of. I'd much rather the scientists keep looking for the "game ending", Boss Monster asteroids, and let the little ones just take care of themselves.

A lot has to do with trajectory. This one was glancing off the atmosphere and therefore exploded high up there. One come straight in would have leveled the city.
  • Like 1

And it's estimated that it was going 30,000 mph, which I think is about 8.3 miles per second.

London to New York is about 3500 miles. That means it would go that far in as little as 7.5 minutes.

Talk about a fast trip!

this is a great idea and amazing one as well.a defensive laser beam powerful enough to destroy meteoroids,asteroids and etc or aleast deflect them at least.but only for defensive reasons and purposes and beneficial ones as well.im not sure about the side effects though or governments trying to use it for other reasons of theirs.because well you know what governments really are and do and etc.

According to some SDI has been up there for years, why not use it, if in fact is does exist.