Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Band of Holes Mystery Solved?

MysteryBuff

Oh s**h*y**te ! You just put an uncomfortable thought in me head, Why not the earliest form of public lavatory ?

:cry:

~edit : is Shiite allowed ?

~2nd edit : Why I believe so! :lol:

Which would make it the world's first mass toilet facility........ :P:wacko:

• Like 2

Here's a new thought. I'll take it for granted that everyone has used a a computer (but the ipad is much better) to play with google maps. When zooming in on any town its very easy to find the airport. They're all layed out in triangles and crosses and very easy to spot from the skies. Check out the desert in Arizona and Nevada. Quite a few airports dot the surrounding region, such as area 51.

There are so many explanations to what the lines in Peru are and what they actually were. There is no doubt that they are set up in triangles and wide stripped geometrical formations, resembling very much airports when zooming in from afar. Of course scientists say there is no possible way that modern day airplanes landed on them, because of the rock, sand, oxide ...not hard or solid enough. However the explanation is simple they were landing strips alrgight but for great flying feathered serpeants from the ancient days told in many legends througout the surrounding regions. To the East where these holes are located are merely hatching sites for the eggs that were buried by those creatures. BOOM, didn't see that idea coming now did you. :yes:

I cant find any orthodox explanation about these holes. Anybody have a link? all my googling have only turned out some conspiracy stuff and aliens. Anybody know of a place where I can read about it seriously?

My take on the pot holes witch doesent include Aliens or super high advanced civilitations?

Well once upon a time there was a kingdom, ruled by a wise king, but sadly the kingdom had many enemies. The king in the effort to protect his kingdom by rival tribes, he planted on a straight line xxxx number of trees. So when a hostile army passed by, all they could see was a tight forest, and they moved on to other places. The king was nick named the tree king, and they all lived happy and prosper till the end of their days.

So what do you people say? does it sound plausible?

I agree Poop holes, :) :) a kind of out door place to to get rid of waste.

well, multiple poop holes, that leads to group pooping and maybe to poop Olympics ;-)

... the crowd is hushed as Corrigan goes for the gold with one final push

• Like 1

Here's a new thought. I'll take it for granted that everyone has used a a computer (but the ipad is much better) to play with google maps. When zooming in on any town its very easy to find the airport. They're all layed out in triangles and crosses and very easy to spot from the skies. Check out the desert in Arizona and Nevada. Quite a few airports dot the surrounding region, such as area 51.

There are so many explanations to what the lines in Peru are and what they actually were. There is no doubt that they are set up in triangles and wide stripped geometrical formations, resembling very much airports when zooming in from afar. Of course scientists say there is no possible way that modern day airplanes landed on them, because of the rock, sand, oxide ...not hard or solid enough. However the explanation is simple they were landing strips alrgight but for great flying feathered serpeants from the ancient days told in many legends througout the surrounding regions. To the East where these holes are located are merely hatching sites for the eggs that were buried by those creatures. BOOM, didn't see that idea coming now did you. :yes:

Was waiting for someone to actually suggest it and yes saw that one coming from miles away.

... the crowd is hushed as Corrigan goes for the gold with one final push

..... or rather knocked out by some malodorous emanations from the playing fields......

Was waiting for someone to actually suggest it and yes saw that one coming from miles away.

Now you're merely toying, weren't you Guv'nor ?

As close as i can tell C.S.M silly notion is close to what it most likely is. It looks to me like a poor mans wall it would make for very rough terrain to pass an army except for the few choke points that i can see. wagons and siege equipment would be screwed. Holes are far easier to work with walls can be knocked down and brushed aside but filling holes that size and location smoothe enough for large scale movements would be a real pain.

Here is a pic of the area near the Band of Holes, and a pic from the nearby river (See the little figure on the map), showing the steepness of these mountains.

post-26883-0-49355600-1361907230_thumb.j

Now you're merely toying, weren't you Guv'nor ?

Who? Me? I would never....... Well..... maybe just a tad ...... :innocent:

As close as i can tell C.S.M silly notion is close to what it most likely is. It looks to me like a poor mans wall it would make for very rough terrain to pass an army except for the few choke points that i can see. wagons and siege equipment would be screwed. Holes are far easier to work with walls can be knocked down and brushed aside but filling holes that size and location smoothe enough for large scale movements would be a real pain.

If you see how steep the mountains actualmly are, that might makes sense. Walls hard to construct as opposed to holes to make.

• 1 year later...

OK here we go boys , girls and undecided . In Blooming Prairie Minnesota there is set of holes just like these . The grouping is about a block square . The holes are the same and it has been determined that they were Indian pit mines . They were mining chert ( flint ) of a very desirable quality . This particular flint was found in the form of arrow heads as far away as Illinois . What I found interesting while examining the site was the generally straight lines of the perimeter and the likeness of all the pits . My feeling was that a small band of Indians new of this site and kept that knowledge to themselves while stopping once a year to replenish their trade inventory . The site was abandoned when the ore was all gone . The band of holes could have been created in the same way over a long period of time and by an entire village . When whatever they were mining gave out the band of holes ended .

I agree with Abremalin on this one. They remind me of something I saw on holiday in Lanzarote so my guess is that they were some kind of agricultural experiments or attempts that have long since been abandoned. http://appellationnyc.com/weeklywine/crater-smoke-and-vine-bermejos-rosado

My opinion is that Abe is right, and this is an example of an organised attempt at pilfering a suspected archaeological site. I don't credit the 'container' hypotheses simply because no remains of anything were found in any of the depressions. Even if they were 'waste holes' as has been postulated, we would expect to find at least some evidence of organic remains.

So, the 'unsuccessful dig site' seems to me to be the best fit explanation.

Edited by Leonardo

My opinion is that Abe is right, and this is an example of an organised attempt at pilfering a suspected archaeological site. I don't credit the 'container' hypotheses simply because no remains of anything were found in any of the depressions. Even if they were 'waste holes' as has been postulated, we would expect to find at least some evidence of organic remains.

Yeah, I don't know about that. I think they've found some implements that they could carbon date and no, that just doesn't fit.

I get the feeling looking at the aerial shots of the formation that some culture had discovered some types of deposits that they were digging for in a grid style, setting the stones up as they dug down? That whole scene in Peru is really weird though with all the work required to make the lines, the figures and so on to be only discernable from the air. Gotta wonder about that.

Perhaps this was a ceremonial line like the nearby Nazca lines, and gold, or other ceremonial goods were found there, and so looters dug up the whole line??

And here I thought Band of Holes was that group that did the song I Ran,and Courtney Love was the singer . My bad

Shouldn't that be Band of A-Holes?

HA! Actually Courtney isn't as bad as all that....

It seems it took hundreds of people to stand there and dig a hole. Perhaps it was counting or record system of how many people were living in the close by settlements.