Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to Handle Police Checkpoints in the U.S.

Yamato

Good for him! He was calm and confident and relatively polite.

Know the law, because a lot of those who try to enforce it, do not. I don't mean necessarily police.

Next will be unwarranted gun searches in cars and homes.

• Like 1

Brilliant! :w00t:

Just goes to show haw gawmless these cops are!

They're just going about their busniness not even knowing what they're doing... and once challenged they melt.. :lol:

• Like 2

This just shows that Police need better training.

But also Police can set up any number of checkpoints on a road to make sure that you are licensed, inssured, not intoxicated, etc because driving isn't a right, its a Privlage.

~Thanato

But also Police can set up any number of checkpoints on a road to make sure that you are licensed, inssured, not intoxicated, etc because driving isn't a right, its a Privlage.

~Thanato

• Like 1

~Thanato

~Thanato

If the checkpoint is for a specific cause like sobriety checks I think they are okay. If this guy tried that in the state of Mississippi I think he would spend a night in jail - unless he had plenty of cash and a good attorney. Stopping US citizens inside the US just to check for an ID is BS.

If the checkpoint is for a specific cause like sobriety checks I think they are okay. If this guy tried that in the state of Mississippi I think he would spend a night in jail - unless he had plenty of cash and a good attorney. Stopping US citizens inside the US just to check for an ID is BS.

Not that I'm defending checkpoints here... but it does appear the police in the video were checking for a specific cause --- checking if youre a legal resident... so I do not believe a checkpoint for a "specific cause" is a strict enough regulation for people to be pleased with it.

Even with a sobriety check they are not allowed to do anything to you unless they have seen an indication that you are intoxicated. Thats why when you go through the checkpoint, not everyone is given a breathalyzer. If there's no indication that you're intoxicated, they can't hold you.

[media=]

[/media]

I remember this guy, there was a thread with his video a while back. If I'm recalling correctly, he travels a lot, and records his checkpoints he hits on a regular basis. The checkpoint action is border security.

They can stop anyone driving a motor vehicle and ask to see there Drivers License which is the most used form of ID. If the person refuses that request they can be arrested for a number of potential charges. However stoping somoene to ask for say there Pass Port, unless they are driving say a Car with Canadian Plates is a bit out to lunch.

~Thanato

There's always a reason for everything the State does to our People, andy. I'm sure there's a specific cause for this checkpoint too. So basically you do like checkpoints. Welcome to the United States of Palestine. Going into labor? No hospital! Pull over to the side of the road for another hour and sit in the traffic we made while we check your papers. That kind of nonsense is a regular occurrence over there, and the chickens have come home to roost. I'd rather not invite tyranny to our shores by not subsidizing it and participating in it outside our shores. Some people who can't understand freedom would rather suffer both. It's unclear where these checkpoints were, so we can't be sure what the police are even doing there (like the guy in the video said). But if the police can't keep the illegals on their own side of the border, we shouldn't suffer their incompetence. If we weren't so concerned with the borders between Syria and Iraq or Pakistan and Afghanistan and paid that kind of attention to our own instead, we wouldn't have any need for these checkpoints. It's amazing sometimes to think how many problems foreign policy changes will solve. Taxpayer money should be treated as a scarce and precious resource that is conservatively allocated at all times for every purpose, not a bottomless pit of debt and mortgage. I know how our bureaucrats love to pretend that foreign policy isn't economic policy, but when we're a trillion more in the hole every year, cutting off the spending overseas should be prioritized.

• Like 1

Just sayin... The checkpoint was on westbound I-8, a highway in southern CA that runs roughly parallel and very close to the Mexico border.

edit: looked up the other thread about this.... http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=230005&hl=%20police%20%20checkpoint&st=0

Edited by rashore

I remember this guy, there was a thread with his video a while back. If I'm recalling correctly, he travels a lot, and records his checkpoints he hits on a regular basis. The checkpoint action is border security.

He preaches a lot and records his sermons on a regular basis. His Youtube channel is linked off the OP vid.

In New York the police can check what is visible from outside the vehicle - are you wearing your seatbelt, child in car seat, registration and inspection up to date, and/or no visible violations with the vehicle (lights out, etc.). Typically you don't even have to roll down the window.

I would have a huge problem with what the driver in the video experienced.

Hey, I wonder if we can do NO CHECKPOINTS everywhere.

Just think, a DWI about ready to accidentally kill people. Nice!!

Then, a random drug check that discover's 2.5 lbs. of meth. Dang, let them through!

Smuggled, illegal aliens... Sir, please continue and pass by.

A murder/robbery suspect not found because of no checkpoints... Mr. murderer/theif, enjoy your drive.

On and on and on...

Lets just put checkpoints every 10 miles and require body cavity checks every 100 miles. Problem solved.

• Like 1

Lets just put checkpoints every 10 miles and require body cavity checks every 100 miles. Problem solved.

Why don't have just have none.

• Like 1

One extreme or the other. I doubt there gonna go for none. It doesnt support our main industries.

One extreme or the other. I doubt there gonna go for none. It doesnt support our main industries.

There doesn't have to be an "extreme"

Rather, some type of agreement on what might be proper for each locality.

• Like 1

There doesn't have to be an "extreme"

Rather, some type of agreement on what might be proper for each locality.

Whose agreement? The guy held up in the traffic three times in a row, or bureaucrats living thousands of miles away who've never been there before?

Whose agreement? The guy held up in the traffic three times in a row, or bureaucrats living thousands of miles away who've never been there before?

An agreement between local citizens/local government, and an agreement with the State and local government, both by virtue of citizen vote.

• Like 1

An agreement between local citizens/local government, and an agreement with the State and local government, both by virtue of citizen vote.

That is what America was founded on. And if you dont like the rules there your free to move on. Thats how we made it out West.

• Like 1

So no federal checkpoints along the nation's borders, unless the citizens of each locale agree with it? What if the national border is considered to be a national problem by the feds and they set up federal checkpoints anyway? What should we do about that?

What if the inflow of illegal immigrants through the borders affects more Americans than just the ones in the locale/city/county on the border? How about if the checkpoints exist on the border so that US citizens never get harassed by them? That way, it'll be as if there are none but there will still be some.

What about the Iraqi borders, incidentally? Should that be a matter between the local government and the Iraqi citizens there, or by our federal bureaucrats thousands of miles away who've never been to Iraq?

I thought Obama had good propositions for illegal immigrants and not be a hassle on them (plus the American public). Oh how the integrity of those in power wanes.