Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zombies

ali smack

I have read reports of supposedly real zombies. I don't really believe it to be honest.

Where does the idea of zombies originate from?

Does anyone believe in them?

• Like 1

It comes from legends and tales dating back as far as Egypt.

The problem with discussing "real life" zombies is that the film/book fanatics think zombies have to be a dead person coming back to life as a zombie.

Where as a zombie is just a mindless animal that has no control over itself anymore. It does exist in many cases in nature. Even rabies is close to "zombieism". If scientists just mess with the wrong thing and change somehting and it gets out... Or if a virus/disease mutates/evolves itself... Then zombies could be very real. However, people and military etc would probably sort it quicker than in films.

• Like 6

It comes from legends and tales dating back as far as Egypt.

The problem with discussing "real life" zombies is that the film/book fanatics think zombies have to be a dead person coming back to life as a zombie.

Where as a zombie is just a mindless animal that has no control over itself anymore. It does exist in many cases in nature. Even rabies is close to "zombieism". If scientists just mess with the wrong thing and change somehting and it gets out... Or if a virus/disease mutates/evolves itself... Then zombies could be very real. However, people and military etc would probably sort it quicker than in films.

Very true. The rage virus in 28 Days Later is far more realistic scenario than say the walking dead. Or just look at the incident in Florida with the bath salts, where a perfectly normal functional human being during a drug induced state (bath salts) ate another man's face and had to be put down in a hail of bullets by the police.

Have any of you heard about the new Russian drug Krokodil? I repeat do not subject yourself to any videos or pictures online of krokodil drug addicts if you are squeamish or possess an sensitive stomache or offended by images and videos of people's bodies rotting right down to the bone. Krokodil is the stuff nightmares are made of.

• Like 5

are we talking "drugged victims of Hatian witch doctors"?

This i sure you know is caused by tetrodotoxin from the pufferfish,but now days most in mental hospitals act almost zombie like themselves.

Very true. The rage virus in 28 Days Later is far more realistic scenario than say the walking dead. Or just look at the incident in Florida with the bath salts, where a perfectly normal functional human being during a drug induced state (bath salts) ate another man's face and had to be put down in a hail of bullets by the police.

Well i don't beelive that was purely bath salts... Bath salts has been in the UK for over 10 years and nothing liek that has happened. I reckon it was linked to medical drugs like some new anti depressent. Maybe mixed with bath salts. But the first case didn't have bath salts in his system. Somehting the media didn't really make clear.

You are spot on though, that is essentially a zombie. :tu:

Also I lvoe 28 days/weeks later because of how they are more realistic. I like walking dead, but it's nowhere near as scary becuase it just isn't as realistic. I like wlaking dead more becuase it shows the survival side better than a lot of the big zombie films out there. They hardly ever show the actual survival parts, like needing food, water and shelter.

Have any of you heard about the new Russian drug Krokodil? I repeat do not subject yourself to any videos or pictures online of krokodil drug addicts if you are squeamish or possess an sensitive stomache or offended by images and videos of people's bodies rotting right down to the bone. Krokodil is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Yeah I seen that. Horrific images, I have no clue why someone would do that.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

Zombies originated in Haiti on sugar cane plantations. Plantation owners wanting cheap labour would go around town poisoning people using as mentionned the puffer fish toxin which would slow the heart rate down to a crawl and cause paralysis. Families would bury their family members who they thought were dead. At night the plantation owners would go dig up the graves and bring those poor people back to work once the toxin wore off, keeping them drugged constantly. On a few occasions either the plantation owners would forget to give them their daily dose or would simply pass away and those "zombies" would come back to their senses often coming back to their villages to families that burried them years prior. And voila!...zombies explained.

Well documented case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairvius_Narcisse

• Like 2

go into Northbridge in Perth on a friday and sat night you will see zombies..

also Kings Cross in Sydney most nights..

• Like 1

In Haiti witch doctors supposedly i guess revive the dead or something and then they come back as zombies. i dont know the full process so dont hold me to it, but if you look up zombies from haiti im sure u can find something tht will give u all the facts

The only problem being the guy didnt actually show to have consumed bath salts in the autopsy... That was simply fear mongering by the media to fuel the "War on Drugs".

Krokodil is terrible. Easily the worst and most damaging drug out there I have ever seen to one individual. It gets the name as it makes you rot from the inside out making your skin look rough like a crocodiles. It basically eats you away.

The most shocking picture I saw of that was someones foot or what was left attached to nothing with a gap of bone between other flesh higher up on their shin.

• Like 2

I don't believe in the traditional zombie (a dead person brought back to life as a walking corpse with a hunger for living brains and flesh) but as said above, some substances can radically change a person's behavior to be erratic. It is eerie what some of these drugs can do to a person. I can't imagine a full scale "drugged people out on the streets and normal people surviving in harsh conditions" thing going on, though.

When I was young, we had a pastor at our Baptist Church who was from French Guiana, in South America who told stories of going to a funeral and then sneaking back at night to see the local witch doctor dig up the person and lead them off like a slave, whipping them as they walked.

Curiosity killed the cat :cry: :no:

There are two types of zombies, the brainwashed, voodoo zombies, and the cannibalistic corpse zombies. The voodoo zombies could potentially exist, I think - I've heard stories about the actual process of creating one, and it sort of makes sense. Undead zombies, however, can't possibly exist. First of all, they originated in George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" in 1968. The term "zombie" was never used in the movie, but somehow it came up and has since become synonymous with the cannibalistic corpses we know and love today. However, they don't even make sense.

Think about it: in order for the zombie to do literally anything, the brain has to be alive. That makes sense - you have to destroy the brain in order to kill it for good, right? So far so good. However, if the brain is alive, wouldn't the rest of it be, too? But it's not. The rest of the body continues to decay - organs, skin, muscles, everything. And yet somehow, the zombie is still able to move, despite the lack of muscle tissue. Also, how do zombies even live? They have no working systems to speak of. They can't digest any of the flesh they eat, their open wounds are constantly exposed to infectious diseases, they constantly suffer from major injuries, hell they can even survive a decapitation. I love zombies, and they will forever be one of my favorite subgenres of horror, but we can all rest easy knowing that we'll never have to actually run from one.

Is this scary krocodil drug here in the USA and Canada now?

What about the government using these zombie drugs on the populace in order to control them? Or even as an excuse to terminate them? Population reduction?

Zombies originated in Haiti on sugar cane plantations. Plantation owners wanting cheap labour would go around town poisoning people using as mentionned the puffer fish toxin which would slow the heart rate down to a crawl and cause paralysis. Families would bury their family members who they thought were dead. At night the plantation owners would go dig up the graves and bring those poor people back to work once the toxin wore off, keeping them drugged constantly. On a few occasions either the plantation owners would forget to give them their daily dose or would simply pass away and those "zombies" would come back to their senses often coming back to their villages to families that burried them years prior. And voila!...zombies explained.

Well documented case. http://en.wikipedia....irvius_Narcisse

Everything you said is correct, except the Zombie thing goes back a lot further in history than that.

But in the case of haiti and voodoo the person actually becoming the zombie was never dead in the first place.

But in the case of haiti and voodoo the person actually becoming the zombie was never dead in the first place.

Yes you are right, that is a good point.

• 5 months later...

I've actually come up with a practical possible cure for the "zombie virus"; NANITES!

The thing is through: I have no idea if it will work or not...And Nanites need to be completely developed first too.

"Practical" is not the word I'd use for a cure that doesn't exist and which you have no idea is even workable.

In Zombie movies why do Zombies always try to catch living people to eat,instead of having a go at eating each other ???and how do the live people always get caught by the slow moving dead people.Amazing but it pulls in Dollars.

In Zombie movies why do Zombies always try to catch living people to eat,instead of having a go at eating each other ???and how do the live people always get caught by the slow moving dead people.Amazing but it pulls in Dollars.

becaise they go after beating hearts and warm flesh, other zombies dont have beating hearts or warm flesh. People always get caught in the movies so that the audiance can see a gruesome death