Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zombies

ali smack

I am amazed that no one has linked to the Zombie Research Society as yet.

http://zombieresearchsociety.com/advisory-board

Dead zombies? No, not likely, but 28 Days/Weeks/Months Later types? Oh yes, and its not alarmist when the CDC has a page for zombie preparedness. The advisory board includes a Harvard medical professional, a Navy Seal, the founder is tapped as an expert on Walking Dead, etc.

Z Day is coming, just a question of when folks.

sodium flouride being add to water to dumb down the population and control the mass public.

Which is why Australia is full of dullards and witless fools.

Oh yes, and its not alarmist when the CDC has a page for zombie preparedness. The advisory board includes a Harvard medical professional, a Navy Seal, the founder is tapped as an expert on Walking Dead, etc.

Well, it would be considered alarmist to pretend it is anything other than a tongue-in-cheek promotion of readiness planning.

• Like 2

Lilly, aquatus, have either of you looked into the website? I will grant you both without reservation that the returning from the dead type of zombie is never going to happen. The possibility of a drug/virus/pathogen taking over the brain of its host and directing it towards self-destruction, violence and general mayhem is documented in other animals. Even a particularly nasty form of rabies, resistant to the vaccine, or the vaccine administered too late, could be considered to make the victims zombielike, mindless and acting on the most basic of instincts.

Before you dismiss the idea entirely out of hand, please take a look at the website I mentioned. Granted, it is tongue-in-cheek towards the nod to George Romero on the board, but the founder is well-acquainted with pathogens and viruses and other biological possibilities that could result in a 28 Days Later type scenario. In the brave new world of 2014, not considering the ramifications of weaponizing say, rabies, or development of a biological weapon that dooms the target to self-consumption is as comforting as looking at the tanks rolling towards protesters in Beijing and whistling.

I apologize if I seem a bit excited about this, but the offhand dismissal of what I think is a viable zombie argument without discussion hit a nerve. I have not done in an in-depth look at the Society's research (apologies if you both have) but the interview I read in GEEK magazine with the founder seemed to me to be an informed outlook. I have been looking for it online and failed to find it thus far. I do have the print magazine at home, however.

Lilly, aquatus, have either of you looked into the website?

The CDC site? Plenty of times.

I will grant you both without reservation that the returning from the dead type of zombie is never going to happen. The possibility of a drug/virus/pathogen taking over the brain of its host and directing it towards self-destruction, violence and general mayhem is documented in other animals.

Hmm...asides from the widely overhyped rabies virus, what virus or pathogen can you think of which turns its host violent and aggressive? Self-destruction has never been a zombie characteristic, so I won't include it (though I understand why you did).

Even a particularly nasty form of rabies, resistant to the vaccine, or the vaccine administered too late, could be considered to make the victims zombielike, mindless and acting on the most basic of instincts.

In an incredibly minor percentage of case, yes. And yes, in those cases, people have become violent and have even bitten others. There has never been a documented case of a person catching rabies from another by bite (there have been a few when transfusions are involved).

Before you dismiss the idea entirely out of hand, please take a look at the website I mentioned. Granted, it is tongue-in-cheek towards the nod to George Romero on the board, but the founder is well-acquainted with pathogens and viruses and other biological possibilities that could result in a 28 Days Later type scenario. In the brave new world of 2014, not considering the ramifications of weaponizing say, rabies, or development of a biological weapon that dooms the target to self-consumption is as comforting as looking at the tanks rolling towards protesters in Beijing and whistling.

I agree, it is entirely conceivable that such a thing could happen. Similarly, there is also the possibility of a massive meteor impact causing global chaos. It would be alarmist, though, to claim that it is an imminent (or even a likely) danger because NASA has a web page on it.

I apologize if I seem a bit excited about this, but the offhand dismissal of what I think is a viable zombie argument without discussion hit a nerve.

Disagreement doesn't equate to refusal to discuss. It certainly doesn't equate to offhand dismissal. And in this particular situation, when the disagreement is over how serious the CDC is in regards to a zombie with someone using the claim to imply that the idea of a zombie disaster is not alarmist, but even expected...well, it's kind of a weak basis for any degree of alarm when the site itself refers to it as tongue-in-cheek.

I have not done in an in-depth look at the Society's research (apologies if you both have)

More of a casual hobby, for me at least.

but the interview I read in GEEK magazine with the founder seemed to me to be an informed outlook. I have been looking for it online and failed to find it thus far. I do have the print magazine at home, however.

It isn't really a complex enough subject to warrant being impressed with any particular amount of information. It's kind of like getting excited because of someones particularly compelling plans in the event of a major hurricane, Sure, it's interesting, it can even be exciting, but it isn't exactly something that only a handful of people in the world can do.

Edited by aquatus1

I am amazed that no one has linked to the Zombie Research Society as yet.

http://zombieresearc.../advisory-board

Dead zombies? No, not likely, but 28 Days/Weeks/Months Later types? Oh yes, and its not alarmist when the CDC has a page for zombie preparedness. The advisory board includes a Harvard medical professional, a Navy Seal, the founder is tapped as an expert on Walking Dead, etc.

Z Day is coming, just a question of when folks.

aquatus1 See Above website link for the website I was referring to. Not the CDC website.

That website is dedicated to zombies in culture and society.

Namely, fictional zombies.

Thus George Romero being involved.

It's meant for fun

• Like 1

Oh yeah, been a while since I went to that site. Yeah, I agree, it is pretty much for fun, just like most of us (including yourself) take it.

And, as long as we keep it in perspective, it's all good. So let's not pretend the CDC zombie page is any less meant for fun.

Myself, I keep my handy tactical tomahawk in my bug-out bag...just in case.

Incidentally, in terms of human behaviour in the event of an outbreak, have you read about what we have learned from the online gaming industry?

Edited by aquatus1

Question: Have any of you ever seen an actual zombie? And, I don't mean the hung-over guy from next door. I mean, an actual walking around while dead, brain eating, half rotted zombie? Let me guess, the honest answer would be 'no'.

The reason for this is: Zombies aren't real.

You're right.

however I am putting together a study at my university to recreate "vodoo" zombies using tetrodotoxin and datura.

....Well, know everyones gonna know that i didnt do a study and watched a movie Thanks alot thongy

This i sure you know is caused by tetrodotoxin from the pufferfish,but now days most in mental hospitals act almost zombie like themselves.

Fugu get you!

You're right.

however I am putting together a study at my university to recreate "vodoo" zombies using tetrodotoxin and datura.

Why??

You're right.

What's your thesis?

Just to clarify, I think 'voodoo zombies' very well could exist. What I was talking about are the 'walking dead' popular media type zombies.

Nor is it a good reason to try it, but they keep lettin' me near the chemicals.

Ok more seriously, it's just a test to see if its actually plausible. And my part of it is just designing the experiment, I won't be carrying it out.

Wow, talk about dead and gone...

***Okay, I admit I had to listen to that playthrough at least once. It's a good song!

Edited by aquatus1

Thought any decent "houngan" or "mambo", priest or priestess, in any vodoun ritual initially did not involve "drugs" of any kind. As for the "walking dead", having been in Haiti in the mid 60s, I saw what were supposed to be "zombies" working in fields, doing manual labor and nothing was thought of it. If they had actually died, which they didn't, then drugs appeared to produce the same state of death, which any knowledgeable type could get them back and "working", never having been dead but to the believers, the person was dead and the priest brought him/her back. But that was long ago and being 66 my mind isn't as clear s it once was. 4 yrs. in Nam pretty much saw to that.

• 4 weeks later...

A mad scientist would be working on this virus right now. A virus like that would be the best and cheapest way to rid this earth of the human species. Then the government can pick off the survivors after the zombies die off from starvation. And then you have a brand new planet.

from the " zombie powder " a toxic drug powder .. i think

Actualy, Zombie Powder is a nerotoxin. More spicificaly, Tetrototoxin, the stuff in puffer fish. So you'r kinda right.