Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Telescopes Could Detect Life Within 25 years

Render

A team of Dutch astronomers has shown that with a new type of telescope it may be possible to detect signs of extraterrestrial life on planets orbiting other stars than the Sun. Although even the most nearby stars are at enormous distances, biological activity can reveal itself through gases released in the planet atmospheres, which would otherwise not be present - so called biomarker gases.

This idea, which has been around since the 1960s, has now been coupled to a new observing strategy, which uses relatively low-cost ground-based flux collector telescopes for high-precision measurements of oxygen in exoplanet atmospheres. The study was published in the February 20th issue of the Astrophysical Journal.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/New_Type_Of_Telescope_May_Detect_Extraterrestrial_Life_Within_The_Next_25_Years_999.html

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Uncle Sam

• Render

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that something! I love this sort of news, this is where the real ET investigations lie!! I have no doubt these are the real pioneers that will open our eyes to new worlds, and possibly, new species.

Due to the relative velocity of the exoplanet with respect to the Earth, the lines in the exoplanet spectrum will be slightly Doppler shifted, which can be measured when precise enough instruments are used.

No why didn't I think of that! :D

Good call Render. ET gets a step closer each day.

Isn't that something! I love this sort of news, this is where the real ET investigations lie!! I have no doubt these are the real pioneers that will open our eyes to new worlds, and possibly, new species.

No why didn't I think of that! :D

Good call Render. ET gets a step closer each day.

Can't wait, there is so much we can learn from a advance civilization that achieved space travel.

Can't wait, there is so much we can learn from a advance civilization that achieved space travel.

I am sure we could, or we may well be the teachers, as we have achieved space travel, and the means to reach interstellar destinations. Either way, it's very exciting to contemplate. Not sure what we would do if we found a mediaeval society though. We canot make contact, do we send a probe?

I am sure we could, or we may well be the teachers, as we have achieved space travel, and the means to reach interstellar destinations. Either way, it's very exciting to contemplate. Not sure what we would do if we found a mediaeval society though. We canot make contact, do we send a probe?

More likely a probe to actually study the occupants of the planet, the composite of the atmosphere, and other interesting facts to understand why they exist and their way of life.