Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

you can obe? prove it

NocturnalWatcher

and the only proof I have is a foot-long scar and a plastic & metal elbow that causes havoc at airport security points!

certainly nothing that the sarky little git who made the OP could point and sneer and call me a liar with.

I can honestly say i've had an OBE, but it seems to be nothing at all like anything anyone here's described.

it happened when I was 14, we were in some guy's garden, nicking apples from one of his trees, when he came up behind me & dragged me backwards on to the ground.

the first thing you do when falling backwards is put your arms out to catch yourself. as I hit the ground my elbow shattered, bones into hundreds of pieces, the works. when I looked at my arm, the elbow was on the ground an my forearm was pointing backwards.

suddenly, my perspective shifted & I was stood behind myself, looking down at myself from a standing position.

whether my 'spirit' left my body to protect me from feeling the intense pain (i could feel absolutely nothing), or whether my brain had gone into shock and projected the image into my mind, from subconscious data of my surroundings to protect my mental self from feeling the damage I have no idea, but the sense of looking down on myself was very real, along with the lack of pain. but the kind of OBE you are all describing, in dreams & consciously leaving your body & flying and stuff, it definitely wasn't anything like that, it was an experience brought on under extreme pain & stress, and nothing lik that has ever happened again, even during car crashes or getting shot.

I would say the phenomena does exist, but apart from severe trauma, I couldn't explain the mechanism behind it.

As Dr. Rupert Sheldrake would say "Many people see everything as a mechanism, and try to use mechanism to explain away all life, but the truth is we are not machines we are organic." You can't explain the mechanism because there isn't one, it was an organic experience. Organic existence is much more complex than mechanism and is really hard to grasp.. Just focus on the good that experience gave you.. For that split moment, you felt no pain at all.

Btw: As far as the difference in your experience to others, it happens a lot. Some people actually seem to take weapons in astral travel, I have never once had an experience of the sort.. Doesn't make their experience any less real to them than mine are to me. Same applies to others flying vs your standing still.

Edited by xFelix

I have to disagree there. There is a difference. And that difference is the Vibration Stage of AP. As someone who has experienced the vibration stage of AP since i was little i look for the signs of an obe. In lucid dreaming you don't experience that weird electrical surge of energy that passes through your body. Sometimes if you aren't expecting it that shock can wake you straight up.

The Vibrational state happens prior to and during sleep paralysis/ trance state in most cases. This does not imply that the states are different, just one of the differences on technique.

The Vibrational state happens prior to and during sleep paralysis/ trance state in most cases. This does not imply that the states are different, just one of the differences on technique.

Except most of the time when i was younger i wasn't using any technique to trigger the state. It just happened when i entered into that "Twilight Stage" of sleep. When your awake but just barely you close your eyes for a few seconds and then BOOM that shock hits ya like a ton of bricks. Completely waking you up if you aren't expecting it........

Yes, spontaneous OBE's or their symptoms do happen. I myself never knew about the practice until i accidently fell into sleep paralysis. I was curious about the state and read upon it, and then practiced for months daily until I achieved councious exit. What Im saying is once your "out" it is the same state of mind that a lucid dream takes place in. You are right though that there are many differences along the way.

Shrooma, your OBE sounds very similar to some extreme Hindu methods Ive heard of and some tribal group's methods. It is usually induced by lots and lots of tribal dancing, often times with painful apparatus' attached to the body, combined with exhaustion from ritualistic dancing for hours upon hours. It basically stresses the body out to the point that you want "out" of your body, and the practitioners do start to feel like theyve left the body or are observing themselves from a different view point. I am not sure if this is related to the OBE's we're talking about, but its clear that this method works as well at inducing some sort of out of body state. Then again, just being in shock at your injury could have induced it and I could be way off the mark here.

Edited by Glorfindel

• 2 years later...
On 2/22/2013 at 1:13 PM, SpiritTraveler said:

No you can't spy on people; the thought of it never comes to mind. Yes you do see other travellers.

And the reason we don't respond to "prove it" is because we can't prove it. Period.

It sounds like a great idea when on this plane but once you astral project it's the last thing on the list. Our spirit guide leads us in other directions. We don't even think of trying to prove it. It is just too trivial in the astral world.

SpiritTraveler, can we meet our departed loves one in the astral place?

On 2/17/2013 at 4:34 PM, NocturnalWatcher said:

The people often talking about it never seen to give much detail about the experience.

shoylshoy mean if it looks like the phySical world so many people do it why have I never heard a single story about people meeting in the spirit world?

You dont talk to many people? How would i know?

To those who have done it answer this

If its the same as our real world can you spy on people?

Yea. I did this accidentally before while trying to go to sleep and saw my dad in his house asleep 500 miles away.

Can you see other obe people?

Why haven't I ever heard a single interesting story about what people do every night when they do it?

You should ask all those people who you claim often talk about it or the ones who you say do it every night. It sounds like you know a lot more about it.

If you can one and travel anywhere how about I put something in a location you astral travel there and tell me what it is. Should be easy job for those claiming to astral travel right?

Yes! now if we could just find someone claiming that.

Rarely do I ever see good description if what its like how you move what colours there are etc...

Is this just a bunch of caflooey? Why can't anyone prove its real if it is?

How can you prove you are real? Proof is relative to the observer.

Just to point out to everyone, the OP NocturnalWatcher, hasn't been back on UM since February 10, 2015.

My mother apparently had a outer body experience when she gave birth to me "middle child" hehe.

Ive had a few brief OOBEs throughout my life but I cant prove it - so no.

My late father had a few too but he never really liked to talk about them.

7 hours ago, Mark One said:

Ive had a few brief OOBEs throughout my life but I cant prove it - so no.

My late father had a few too but he never really liked to talk about them.

Mark One, is this something that you can do at your own will (i.e. whenever you think)? How was your experience and did you get a chance to communicate with some departed relatives/friends?

Thanks.

18 hours ago, ShanShan said:

Mark One, is this something that you can do at your own will (i.e. whenever you think)? How was your experience and did you get a chance to communicate with some departed relatives/friends?

Thanks.

Hello ShanShan.  They just occur without any conscious effort on my part.  In one of my earliest journeys I found myself in my front room.fiddling with the light switch. After much confusion over the switch not working I gave up and moved my way towards the TV.  I sat on the carpet and reached out to turn it on.  I couldnt reach the switch and this is when I found myself rising upwards(floating) until my finger touched the button.  Here I had the same dilemma, I couldn't turn on the TV.  So instead, I decided to have fun hovering above the carpet.  The colours in the room were watery and in some places blurry.  Then I heard a noise behind me and saw a light come on in the hallway.  Realising that I may get in trouble for trying to watch TV so early made me panic...I then found myself back in my bed, my parents (who had just got up) were questioning one another as to who had left the TV set on!  On another occasion at night I opened my eyes and was surprised to find myself sat in the chair by the TV.  The late night news was on, my father was layed out on the sofa and my mother was in the kitchen preparing tomorrows packed lunches.  A few seconds into this experience it suddenly dawned on me that I was still in bed - at the same time?!?! This is when I jumped in my skin and found myself wide awake, back in my bed.

Ive met two people/strangers.  One night around 2002-2004 I found myself outdoors not far from the house and off I went on a very quick journey towards my parents old place.  The journey wasnt an high altitude job but a hovering above the ground one.  When I got close to the street where the old address was I suddenly spotted a figure who was hovering high above the roof of the house next door to my parents.  He saw me just as I noticed him.  We said hi, and up I went to join him there.  He told me that he was pondering his options - work and house.  We chatted for a bit and both found this elevated view quite normal.  (Thats another thing about OOBEs you lose any fear of heights).  I then felt compelled to leave and before I could say goodbye, I was gone with great speed all the way back to where I had started, hung around for a bit and then - whoosh back into my bed with jump.  I`ll share with you the other person soon.  Ive got to go for now.

As for whether or not Ive met deceased people - my father, once. I`ll get back to you on that one another time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark One said:

`ll share with you the other person soon.  Ive got to go for now.

As for whether or not Ive met deceased people - my father, once. I`ll get back to you on that one another time.

Thank you Mike for the detailed response. I shall wait for further updates from you.

I have just started on this front and about to complete Monroe's first book on Journeys out of the body. Next book will be Far Journey followed by Ultimate Journey. Also, thinking about attending their programs later. Any suggestion from you or any other forum members?

Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShanShan said:

Thank you Mike for the detailed response. I shall wait for further updates from you.

I have just started on this front and about to complete Monroe's first book on Journeys out of the body. Next book will be Far Journey followed by Ultimate Journey. Also, thinking about attending their programs later. Any suggestion from you or any other forum members?

Thanks.

You could try here, free download with lots of different frequencies - including OOB inducer.  If you use this software, my suggestion (whilst listening) is to mentally count to 50, visualising each number.  Then count backwards with the intent of leaving the body at zero.  (I tried this experimental technique of mine and did have an experience which I will share soon.)

Ok back to the experiences.

The second person I met in this state was some type of teacher or guide.  I was outside again, near the house (in the dark) and after some lingering got the tug (as I call it) to travel.  I have to add here that when you travel your mind or thought can propel you instantly to another location.  Sometimes when you OOBE your still half asleep and will for example, move along a daily route (in the middle of the night) as you hover a few inches above the ground not realising what's happening.  (Ive done this many times and on some occasions startled nocturnal animals)  Anyway, back to the gentleman that I met.  He was situated in a farmers field, looked like a monk in white colours.  He called out to me with a warm welcome, so I naturally obliged his invitation.  I must admit that when I went there I was still the real me and thought WTF as this man spoke softly to me from a safe distance.  He was making gestures with his arms and talking about reactions to thoughts and energies.  To cut a long story short he revealed that we think we can deal the ****/bad things that are thrown/targeted at us.  He demonstrated how we actually react to such things - he rubbed his stomach and told me that we cook it there into something worse.  He told me that we must stop accepting what we feel we can stomach and instead let it pass around us instead of into us.  A line of energy went towards him and then made its way around the contour of his stomach and carried on off into the distance.  He smiled under his hood and promised that the energy would only harm those who grasped it believing they could control it with a hidden ego that believed it was courageous.  He was sharing a lesson in how we react to one another.

• Like 1

My experience with my father went like this.  I became aware that I was outside looking down towards the back garden.  It was a winter night and very cold outdoors, ice and snow slurry everywhere.  I didn't feel the cold.  Infact I seemed to have the temperature of my other self that was back in my bed.  After a few seconds of having no need to study the garden I went off very quickly towards town and found myself in a alleyway.  I was now stood on level ground with my dad!  He was talking to me about money - I had to save my money.  I wasnt surprised to see him but I was puzzled by the location of our meeting.  I also didn't understand his advice for at the time I was financially stable.  For some reason I asked to go "back" with him and he told me - no, you have to go back and live your life.  The scene then went dark and when light did come back it was my eyes opening as I found myself back in my bed.  I lay their for several minutes going over what had just happened.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Wow Mark. You have had some cool experiences

Cheer pal, they seem like a few scattered pieces of some very large jigsaw puzzle that Ive barely started.

Ive just remembered something about the hovering and flying/moving - I always seem to (instinctively) focus upon my stomach area (chakra?) if I wish to take the wheel as it were and change direction or even stop.  Years ago me and a work colleague discussed OOBEs and he described doing the very same thing with his stomach area - spooky!

• Like 1

I've had 1 experience with this years ago when I had a bad seizure. Apparently this happens to some others as well. It's a rarity even in the epilepsy world but I think it's generally accepted but probably not referred to as OBE or whatever. Anyway, if you want non biased (aka legit) information then maybe start your research in this direction. Oh and National Geographic had a great article on this kinda stuff recently. 

When it happened to me I wasn't in control and it absolutely felt like a dream. I remembered it as a dream from a long time ago but apparently it was me witnessing events in real time. But it was the typical floating above my head kinda thing for like 30 seconds or so.

Maybe give this a read: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3923147/

Edited by internetperson

• 2 months later...

If i could willfully have the ability to have OBE, i would be more than willing to provide proof that its real.  Draw a picture (something simple to recognize such as an apple, star, etc., not something like an action figure hero you thought of), post it near my home.  Give me directions as to where i can see the picture without touching it.  Have a video camera or something to prove i don't see it before i enter OBE.  I would be more than glad to participate.

I still don't buy into why people who claim they can purposely enter OBE say something like "i don't have to prove to anyone, etc etc" and actually mean it.