Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people automatically believe

HeyWhatsUpWithAirlineFood

Anyone could make up an alien abduction story with a compelling, spine-chiller hook, then wrap it all around something that deals with peoples' primal fears of the unknown and end up with a massive lie about something that didn't happen, and swear by their life on it being true.

And people would believe them. Based only on their verbal testimony.

Sadly.

The point is, trying to have a friendly debate with someone who believes in crap like that is almost impossible, because let's face it, even though someone's story of a UFO sighting or whatever might scare you, or shock you, or make you feel stunned subconsciously, it doesn't necessarily mean that story actually dealt with a sighting of an alien machine.

Existential fallacies aren't good for you.

Edited by supersonic

That's true. On the other hand, why do some people feel the need to dismiss and dispute all stories that take them out of their comfort zones? Not all witnesses are dishonest, and not all witnesses are mistaken. Some accounts are valid.

• Like 4

Well, we don't 'automatically' believe anything. We make the choice. Because we have the ability of free will. We can believe or not believe whatever we want. What a gift!

But that aside. there are so many factors that go into assessing whether you buy into someone's story or not. Some are very affective and some are naturals at it, while others may think they are and are way off. Basically, it's up to that person to decide for themselves, but I'd be willing to bet that the observer of the 'witness testimony' does more deciding on their own than by only on what the witness says. The witness can only plant a seed. It's up to the viewer to decide to grow that seed or let it rot. So I think wanting or not wanting to believe plays a much bigger part than the actual testimony itself.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

Why dont u belive in alien abduction.it does happen just ak travis walton him and his friends passed the lie dectort tests.

Anyone could make up an alien abduction story with a compelling, spine-chiller hook, then wrap it all around something that deals with peoples' primal fears of the unknown and end up with a massive lie about something that didn't happen, and swear by their life on it being true.

Sadly.

The point is, trying to have a friendly debate with someone who believes in crap like that is almost impossible, because let's face it, even though someone's story of a UFO sighting or whatever might scare you, or shock you, or make you feel stunned subconsciously, it doesn't necessarily mean that story actually dealt with a sighting of an alien machine.

Existential fallacies aren't good for you.

There are thousands if not hundred's of thousands of cases people don't report in fear of ridicule from people like you (no offence).

They don't want to report them because they have no evidence but that doesn not mean it didn't happen!. lots of people have their memory's erased of the whole occurance also and could only be remembered through hypnosis ( although i don't know if this method is effective)

there are also people implanted with some sort of device in their body's how do you explain that? There is nothing to gain from making up a story like this and in fact the is more to loose like credibility, Respectibility, and people would even question if your sane or not and also the ridicule which i already mentioned.

That's true. On the other hand, why do some people feel the need to dismiss and dispute all stories that take them out of their comfort zones? Not all witnesses are dishonest, and not all witnesses are mistaken. Some accounts are valid.

But how can the rest of us KNOW what is real and what is not.... This is why we need science. We need REAL evidence. It is more rewarding .

I need to KNOW..... not just BELIEVE.

Edited by DBunker
  • Like 1

But how can the rest of us KNOW what is real and what is not.... This is why we need science. We need REAL evidence. It is more rewarding .

I need to KNOW..... not just BELIEVE.

I dont believe you do. Your intellect is enough

I dont believe you do. Your intellect is enough

That is what many people would assume. That is why people believe in all sorts of weird things.

Not many of them real. Look back at history and you will (maybe) see what Im getting at.

Just because you believe in something does in no way make it real.

Ignorance + boring uneventful lives.

Just looking at a certain topic at UM, some posters don't know what lens flares are and think light can't shine through cloud cover.

gotta go with DBunker on that one. I was very intrigued when i first heard of the alien abduction phenomenon. Now, almost twenty years later, i came (for myself) to the conlusion to better stay skeptic, wether someone easily dismisses a UFO sighting as a weather balloon or tells me that he was abducted by little grey men that probed the s**t out of them.

Regarding the ever-improving possibilities of digitally recording (and manipulating!) sounds and pictures, i DEMAND double-checked, non-preoccupation-flavoured scientific proof before i believe anything. That russian meteor showed me that if REALLY something is going on, there will be more people recording it than your average blurry, shaky one-person coverage....

• Like 3

belief without something convincing is ignorance

not all people believe " automatically " some worked really hard and search for convincing clues to attain their belief

" general speaking "

Edited by Knight Of Shadows

belief without something convincing is ignorance

not all people believe " automatically " some worked really hard and search for convincing clues to attain their belief

" general speaking "

Couldn't have said it any better. I'm one of the latter, I need proof, evidence, something. I've never believed anything, just because some person says so.

• Like 1

Some people just took star trek as gospel, and now we have youtube, well!!!!!

question everything.... even peer reviewed data :unsure2:

new-study.jpg

I'm reminded of a cop dash video of a belligerent woman arguing with a police officer. It went something like:

"Ma'am, why didn't you stop when I flashed my lights."

"I was told by the news that I was to not stop for ANYONE until in a safe area where others were visible!!"

Apparently, "the news" was a far higher authority to this woman than her local police force.

Seems odd that I do not take any News at face value and check the stories from more than one source and at the same time require the same evidence most of the skeptics here do. News and accounts of encounters (any of them) are all different shades of grey. It isn't believe this completely or disregard it completely, at least not for me. I do want irrefutable evidence to support extraordinary claims. Unfortunately there will always be people out there that let others tell them what to think, on all sides of the aisle. JMO.

• Like 2

Sadly.

Some of us were raised to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, especially people who apparently have nothing to gain from lying. Eventually some of us realized that some people enjoy lying and entertain themselves by fooling others.

My generation was also raised to believe almost anything is possible. We landed on the Moon, we had supersonic jets flying over the Atlantic, and we had satellites giving us live television from other continents. If you thought alien visitation, Bigfoot, ESP, and past lives were unbelievable then you were closed-minded and were going to be left behind in the miracles that were the future!

We're now in the future! Even the sound of the year "2013" implied that we would have hotels in orbit, bases on the Moon, landings on Mars, and spaceships flying toward distant stars. Similarly we would have mastered our ESP powers, discovered Bigfoot communities, and have made contact with the wonderful aliens that were obviously visiting our planet in their flying saucers. Some imagined that Earth would even ally with "good" aliens to fight off the "evil" aliens who wanted to conquer our planet. The line between science and science fiction was very blurred back then.

Instead people are now Photoshopping fake UFO photos, the Patterson footage is still the "best" evidence of Bigfoot, and ESP has been almost entirely debunked. Overall people are much more skeptical and cynical about these things now. I say things have improved.

• Like 2

question everything.... even peer reviewed data :unsure2:

new-study.jpg

I feel sloppy reporting has caused a loss of confidence in science.

Even if you read a science article yourself, check the source.There should be a link to the original study and you can learn what kind it was(preliminary, follow up, extensive, meta etc.).

It may be an interesting story but small sample size preliminary studies aren't the last word.

Often with some news outlets, the headline is miss leading, possibly due to being written by a journalist with no science background, or the "story" is copied directly from a press release(not a published peer reviewed science journal) to sell a book. Check the qualifications of the quoted authority.

So true ,So many time we listen to a report given by someone with no bussiness what so ever talking about a subject,or event of Intrest. Its laughable always Specially when its in regards to Knows Science Tech,ect reports. But what the Hay They dont pay them for there Brains.Its usually there Looks !

See Y`az ! :tu:

Instead people are now Photoshopping fake UFO photos, the Patterson footage is still the "best" evidence of Bigfoot, and ESP has been almost entirely debunked.

almost?

You'll still find a small percentage of people who still believe people can predict the future and communicate through telepathy, but far fewer than back in the 70's when most people believed ESP existed.

You'll still find a small percentage of people who still believe people can predict the future and communicate through telepathy, but far fewer than back in the 70's when most people believed ESP existed.

They Still get the really Good Weed ! Thats why ! :tu::whistle: Just Saying !

but what has the percentage of believers got anything to do with regards to esp being 'almost entirely debunked'? are you suggesting that the 'small percentage' of scientists who still hold on to their experimental data regardless of the fact that whether they have a viable theory or not should be convinced otherwise, then that would make it 100% debunked?

Hollywood, secret military projects, comics, books, radios... that is why people believe in alien motherships and carriers and stuff ! All controled by half grey half green nordic lizards. That would be one uber alien!

For real i believe there is alot of life out there we just didnt had any luck with it.

I would like to say that there is alot we dont know from military-industrial backwater shadow dark oh and black operations/projects/complex xD

Now we know that we dont know ! :D

People who interpret their stories have tainted the information beyond usefulness. You are never going to get a straight story from someone who has seen an "Alien", a "UFO" on the other hand might be something worth listening to.

• Like 1