Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Dolphin 'mega-pod' spotted off San Diego

Saru

An abnormally large group of 100,000 dolphins has been sighted swimming off the coast of California.

A massive pod of dolphins was spotted off the San Diego coast on Thursday by a boat captain. The captain, Joe Dutra, of Hornblower Cruises, reported seeing a “super mega-pod” of common dolphins around noon when he was on his daily tour.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

Woodstock for dolphins

• Like 3

I realize dolphins are social animals, but never I thought they congregate into one large group until this story. Dolphins are interesting animals to shown an intelligence akin to a 2-year old human, and are able to "speak" with each other by a mechanism in their "blow holes". And dolphins proved compatiable to humans in captivity: when any person comes up to the pool tank of dolphins, they often turn its' head or swim all the way towards the person.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate

I can't resist: they are preparing to leave -- you know, "Good bye, and thanks for all the fish."

• Like 7

Must be fans on their way to Miami watch a game...

• Like 1

I, for one, welcome our new dolphin overlords.

• Like 5

Groups come together when they are all heading for the same food source, so either there was as overly abundant source of food in the area or food is getting so hard to find that they were all swarming to the only source locatable.

• Like 1

"For those who got to see the super-pod in action last week, Dutra commented, You had to be there to experience it. It was truly spectacular."

I bet it was too B)

Groups come together when they are all heading for the same food source, so either there was as overly abundant source of food in the area or food is getting so hard to find that they were all swarming to the only source locatable.

Kinda worrisome then.
  • Like 1

Maybe they were going to meet some aliens like in "Cocoon" or maybe they already did!

My son, 6 at the time and I were on the beach in Virginia when a pod of dolphins herded a large school of fish into the beach area and then did a little feeding frenzy. It was amazing as the dolphins were just 50 feet away from us and the fish were all around us jumping and splashing. We could put our heads underwater and hear the dolphins communicatiing with each other as they herded the fish into the shoreline.

Wow, that's a massive number.

I wonder if they know something we don't, yet.

Arise Poseidon and call to your animals of the sea as the gathering is upon us,

Hard to decide how unusual this is. Reference is made to a 'similar' event last year at about the same place and season, but with an 'unspecified' number of dolphins. If the previous 'super-pod' was 1000 or even 10,000 strong, that apparently still wouldn't come anywhere near what was seen this time.

Fish which serve as dolphin's food sometimes form huge 'shoals'. I'd have thought that the fellow making the report, apparently an experienced mariner, would have noticed if they were feeding, and so, advanced this explanation for their swarming.

We know very little of what goes on in dolphin society or dolphin minds.

Went through 10 pages of Google search results on dolphin super-pods. Nearly all items were about the recent San Diego CA reports. The few that weren't, were about super-pods of 100 to 2000 dolphins. There appears to be no precedent for super-pods of 100,000 dolphins, or anything close to it.

• Like 1

It could be anything really. Animals can detect things in nature that we humans can not, this super pod could be in response to some type of change in the ocean that we are currently unaware of. Needless to say it would be a good idea for scientists to keep an eye on them just in case

• Like 1