Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Dolphin 'mega-pod' spotted off San Diego

Saru

Prince Dolph and Princess Flipper are getting married, according to my sources. :)

What, and they didn't invite me? I'm offended.

• Like 2

Beats mice, or even worse, Vogons...

If this is the case then its very sad,

It maybe linked to the Climate Change that we are now experiencing all over the world since previous year.

Maybe they are changing their habitats due to the change in temperatures over the globe?

I mean its kind of hard to imagine for so so many dolphins to get together in such a collaborative group? (Maybe its possible, because I am not an expert saying here)

Maybe they all started changing their habitat and they met along the way?

Just found this -

"Climate Change is one of the biggest threats facing whales and dolphins today. The climate is changing fast: so fast that some whale and dolphin populations may be unable to adapt."

"Changes in sea temperature, freshening of seawater, sea level rise, loss of icy polar habitats and the decline of food sources are just some of the many threats posed by climate change."

Source - http://www.wdcs.org/stop/climate_change/index.php

Edited by Twinkle Arora is back

If this is the case then its very sad,

It maybe linked to the Climate Change that we are now experiencing all over the world since previous year.

Maybe they are changing their habitats due to the change in temperatures over the globe?

I mean its kind of hard to imagine for so so many dolphins to get together in such a collaborative group? (Maybe its possible, because I am not an expert saying here)

Maybe they all started changing their habitat and they met along the way?

Just found this -

"Climate Change is one of the biggest threats facing whales and dolphins today. The climate is changing fast: so fast that some whale and dolphin populations may be unable to adapt."

"Changes in sea temperature, freshening of seawater, sea level rise, loss of icy polar habitats and the decline of food sources are just some of the many threats posed by climate change."

Source - http://www.wdcs.org/...hange/index.php

Surprised it took two pages for someone to bring up this ridiculous theory. :w00t:

• Like 3

\

Surprised it took two pages for someone to bring up this ridiculous theory. :w00t:

Haha actually I just read the news so :P

This is why dolphins should never be allowed to watch Jaws.

It is unfortunate that we do not know more of dolphin behavior nor the evolutionary patterns that might translate to a more immediate understanding of the event. But, if we perhaps extrapolate to other migratory events across species, we see that these are driven by the need to feed, breed, or deal with climate change. Regardless, they are all linked to survival, and that certainly should raise some concerns.

• Like 1

what if they need the pod because the giant squids are growing in populations. im sure a couple hundred squid attacking a small pod is possible.

It is unfortunate that we do not know more of dolphin behavior nor the evolutionary patterns that might translate to a more immediate understanding of the event. But, if we perhaps extrapolate to other migratory events across species, we see that these are driven by the need to feed, breed, or deal with climate change. Regardless, they are all linked to survival, and that certainly should raise some concerns.

Dolphins are mentally complex beings. We probably shouldn't assume that everything they do is necessarily connected with their immediate survival needs. What is happening near San Diego could be the dolphin equivalent of a mass meeting, social, or spiritual gathering.

Sounds like a good survival strategy.

I''m not sure even a well armed soldier could fight, say,100,000 pooping puppy dogs. :passifier:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Maybe New Submarine technology sonar affecting dolphins?

• Like 1

A Super mega-pod' of dolphins has been spotted off San Diego coast..

So long... & thanks for all the fish.. :lol:

Guests aboard the boat started screaming and pointing when they first saw the school of adult and juvenile common dolphins. Dutra estimated there were about 100,000 dolphins swimming in the area.

“They were coming from all directions, you could see them from as far as the eye can see,” he said. “I’ve seen a lot of stuff out here… but this is the biggest I’ve ever seen, ever.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/17/16994814-super-mega-pod-of-dolphins-spotted-off-san-diego-coast?lite

• Like 1

I was once in the middle of a pod of maybe 20-30... That was awesome..

To find one's self in the middle of a pod of 100,000 or more... That would be just freaky..

Prince Dolph and Princess Flipper are getting married, according to my sources. :)

Will they keep the last name Lundgren by any chance? ;)

• Like 1

Here is a nice encounter as well. They even changed their course to follow the surfer.

Must have felt kind of amazing having them jumping like that all around you.>>>

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

They were getting as far away as possible from this guy.........

071105_r16759_p465.jpg

• Like 1