Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can you solve a cryptic150-year-old message?

Still Waters

A museum is calling on people to solve a cryptic150-year-old message which could hold the key to an “Earthly Paradise”.

The historic poster, thought to date from the 1860s, spells out the prize for a lottery in the form of a pictogram.

But baffled museum curators cannot work out quite what the lottery is offering players.

http://www.telegraph...y-Paradise.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• keithisco

• Still Waters

• tipotep

• monk 56

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Still Waters,

My advice would be find an unexplained forum member that lives near the University of Southern California, if we are nice they may hand copy of code to Kevin Knight, if any can put us out of our misery trying to decipher it, he has the best chance, you will remember he deciphered the Copiale Cipher, link below:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copiale_cipher

I might have a go at this later ...

Line 6 - Should therfore hasten to the nearest ....

I need a better copy to print :)

TiP.

Line 8 previously de-ciphered the 2 Pictograms as "Desire". I would like to suggest that the 2nd Pictogram is of a Tradesperson actually using a Reamer for Reaming a larger hole. The adjective in this case would be "Ream" which would then decipher as "Dream". IMO

Edited by keithisco

OK, this ismy first attempt to try and decipher the whole text (probably wrong):

Catch fortune when you can as every man would rather get money than not. The attention of all is called to the new lottery in which by a small risk they may get dependent free

(I cannot see the pictogram for "Free" but it appears to be someone getting free from incarceration).

They should therefore hasten to the nearest lottery office and then by purchasing even a share they may secure what they dream and which cannot fail to make the lame go and leave them (if money be their deity in) an earthly paradise.”

Any opinions?

Edited by keithisco