Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Derren Brown: I will make a straight man gay

Still Waters

The television illusionist Derren Brown is courting controversy again by planning his most audacious trick yet – persuading a straight man he is gay.

The hypnotist also believes he could make a gay man be attracted to women.

The 41-year-old, who came out four years ago, is hoping the stunt will be as popular as his last stunt where he persuaded the group of people the world was going to end.

http://www.telegraph...ht-man-gay.html

If I supply the wool, will he make me one as well?

• Like 2

So is he saying he could actually turn someone towards the ways of the Gays permanently and properly, or is this just another of those "illusions", i.e. fake, that these frauds & charlatans have made a career out of?

And yes, how could they independently verify that the guinea pig isn't bi to begin with?

And why does he spell his name Derren?

• Like 1

So is he saying he could actually turn someone towards the ways of the Gays permanently and properly, or is this just another of those "illusions", i.e. fake, that these frauds & charlatans have made a career out of?

And yes, how could they independently verify that the guinea pig isn't bi to begin with?

And why does he spell his name Derren? Pretentious twit.

i take it you have not got his posters on your bedroom ceiling.

I have seen hypnotists, and have been impressed, but he takes it a whole lot further that I am dubious.

i wonder how he is going to prove that the man he turns is now gay. acting as one is one thing, actually being one is another!

......i wonder how he is going to prove that the man he turns is now gay. acting as one is one thing, actually being one is another!

That's a good point.

Will the newly-gay man be into pink, or brown?

• Like 1

I saw a hypnotist seem to convince people that they had seen a UFO in a trailer park. This was all the power of suggestion.

My point is - this is probably only a temporary state of hypnosis, at best.

Which will only add ammunition to the "gays choose to be gay" brigade.

Brilliant move Derren.

• Like 1

This isnt what Derren is doing - its a made up story in the Sun that stalwart of Murdoch truth

So the Telegraph reprinted a story that the Sun had made up? have Mr. B's lawyers been in touch with the Sun yet?

I have no idea if his legal peeps are doing anything about it but I do know he himself has posted that the Sun lifted the story from an original GT article where he stated such a change was not possible and the Telegraph reprinted it. Check his facebook page - he is very clear about stating that is what happened. Personally I would rather believe him over a newspaper known for making stuff up.

edited for spelling :)

Edited by Skithia

i take it you have not got his posters on your bedroom ceiling.

I have seen hypnotists, and have been impressed, but he takes it a whole lot further that I am dubious.

i wonder how he is going to prove that the man he turns is now gay. acting as one is one thing, actually being one is another!

I agree that it would be quite difficult to actually prove it that the person is totally changed mentally and not just faking it for money (of course he would be getting money for the show for sure)

And as little_dreamer pointed out hypnotism may work.

And if he is able to do so, we may see an increase in the conservatives in this country pushing the idea to turn everyone into straight because they already have been doing stuff like this recently, which is ridiculous.

• Like 1

I agree that it would be quite difficult to actually prove it that the person is totally changed mentally and not just faking it for money (of course he would be getting money for the show for sure)

And as little_dreamer pointed out hypnotism may work.

And if he is able to do so, we may see an increase in the conservatives in this country pushing the idea to turn everyone into straight because they already have been doing stuff like this recently, which is ridiculous.

he may be able to 'think' they are gay for a while, but actually putting it into practice??? lets see.

Ya'll need to remember that Derren Brown isn't claiming to be using powers beyond the realms unlike most of these guys, he simply uses psychology and a few tricks...or summat' like that.

You wanna' turn someone gay, have him stay in a mexican prison for a year.

• Like 1

I see that program where he supposedly made that guy think he was in an apocalpyse.... That guys acting was terrible.. lol

• Like 1

I see that program where he supposedly made that guy think he was in an apocalpyse.... That guys acting was terrible.. lol

Agreed, I wonder how much he was getting paid, cos he was not worth it.

• Like 1

I don't think the line between "gay" and "straight" is as black and white as Westerners make it out to be -- probably because of the mix-up between sexuality and religion that your culture has burdened itself with. People who are not so strongly inclined to be gay that the conclusion must be faced are afraid to admit, even to themselves, that they have such inclinations now and then, or they suppress them.

In cultures where this "fear" that "I might be gay" is not found, people are far more homo-erotic than Americans ever allow, although they don't actually have sex except as teenagers -- preferring their spouses.

• Like 2

I don't think the line between "gay" and "straight" is as black and white as Westerners make it out to be --

What you have said is what we have been through already.

We have religions here from all over the world which does not accept gay people, personally, I think that if people come to live in a western country, they must accept it is far more acceptable here than it was years ago.

• Like 2

If I was a millionaire I would bet my entire fortune that the program you mention was not staged. His entire reputation is on the line with all of his stunts, and he would never risk it. Besides, how can you say the guy's acting was bad? If he was acting, it was as real as they come. Just because he didn't react in the same way as actors in horror films? I saw true terror in the man's face.

• Like 1

I have no doubt gayness as a "condition" is now accepted, at least in the cosmopolitan areas of the US. Still, you don't see men or women holding hands or hugging or whatever as you do other places, unless it is understood that they are "gay."

Most cultures, until they come into contact with Western ideas, have no idea that such a thing as "gay" exists independently of human sexuality. People of the same sex who are good friends get far more intimate than would ever be imagined in the states -- I won't get into details but mutual back-scratching conveys the idea) without any idea of traditional sex or of sexual role playing.

Buddhism frowns on almost any sexuality as a desire getting in the way of those who pursue Nirvana, but for that matter they have the same attitude about the food they are compelled to eat (don't you dare eat something delicious), so referring to these attitudes is unpersuasive about general views.

If I was a millionaire I would bet my entire fortune that the program you mention was not staged. His entire reputation is on the line with all of his stunts, and he would never risk it. Besides, how can you say the guy's acting was bad? If he was acting, it was as real as they come. Just because he didn't react in the same way as actors in horror films? I saw true terror in the man's face.

Well i thought it was utter rubbish and think the guy was in on it.