Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At Last! A computer that never crashes

seeder

OUT of chaos, comes order. A computer that mimics the apparent randomness found in nature can instantly recover from crashes by repairing corrupted data.

Dubbed a "systemic" computer, the self-repairing machine now operating at University College London (UCL) could keep mission-critical systems working. For instance, it could allow drones to reprogram themselves to cope with combat damage, or help create more realistic models of the human brain.

Everyday computers are ill suited to modelling natural processes such as how neurons work or how bees swarm. This is because they plod along sequentially, executing one instruction at a time. "Nature isn't like that," says UCL computer scientist Peter Bentley. "Its processes are distributed, decentralised and probabilistic. And they are fault tolerant, able to heal themselves. A computer should be able to do that."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21729045.400-the-computer-that-never-crashes.html

• Like 2

in that case viral pandemics would soon evolve in the cyber world

~digs up my 'ghost in the shell' collection :wait: "animatrix" first, then GitS 1 then 2, then the manga series ... bliss

• Like 1

in that case viral pandemics would soon evolve in the cyber world

~digs up my 'ghost in the shell' collection :wait: "animatrix" first, then GitS 1 then 2, then the manga series ... bliss

_

what, no 'advent children'?!

:-)

_

what, no 'advent children'?!

"Why that's called bullying ya whipper sn'pper, if it wasn't because I'm a good senior citizen I would just smack you, do you hear me?"

:lol: don't you just love translated anime movies ?

My anime world kinda ended waaaay baack

My personal favorite is still "Akira" good old fashion anime manga sci fi, these days it's all over the top glorified video cut scene clips, except Studio Ghibli of course :D

~edit : bolded

Edited by third_eye

My anime world kinda ended waaaay baack

My personal favorite is still "Akira" good old fashion anime manga sci fi, these days it's all over the top glorified video cut scene clips, except Studio Ghibli of course :D

~edit : bolded

_

i'm more of a 'legend of the overfiend' man myself.....

I don't know those references but it seems to me that this is the next step on the road to a self aware machine and that has got to have huge ethical and security ramifications.

• Like 1

I don't know those references but it seems to me that this is the next step on the road to a self aware machine and that has got to have huge ethical and security ramifications.

It's just a computer where all the different systems are localised, meaning you could never infect or corrupt the whole thing. It's not as advanced as a computer that 'heals' itself, as the article seems to suggest, and definitely not quantum computing (I read about it on Wired).

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Getting closer.....

• Like 3

and definitely not quantum computing (I read about it on Wired).

I didn't say it WAS a quantum computer, I said it fitted the descripton of one, ie- one that works in a multi-layered, non linear/binary on off way.

I didn't say it WAS a quantum computer, I said it fitted the descripton of one, ie- one that works in a multi-layered, non linear/binary on off way.

All this system is doing is using many different, non centralised systems that operate simultaneously, as opposed to the current system of one centralised system of queued operations. It still works in a linear fashion, but just has many systems doing so, sharing the workload, as opposed to the one.

I, however, do agree that it is not 'linear' in the normal sense due to these systems, but I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as being like quantum computing. To me, it seems more comparable to multi-core processors. But, hey, you may know far more about that subject than me, so I digress.

You're right though, you didn't say it was quantum computing, so I apologise.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Being as we have no idea where consciousness originates, or even sentience for that matter, it looks to me if we are going to build a super-replacement for ourselves, it is going to have to be by accident.

You're right though, you didn't say it was quantum computing, so I apologise.

-

no need to worry about it just yet old love-my army of borg drones are on a regeneration cycle at the moment.....

i'm suprised it wasn't invented in scotland to be honest, seeing as the scots seem to have invented just about everything else!

it looks to me if we are going to build a super-replacement for ourselves, it is going to have to be by accident.

_

unless they build themselves.....

• Like 1

Which, if you think about it, seems to be what we did -- build ourselves, except we call it evolve.

If you ask me we should not actually give them the ability to reprogram themselves, not because that they will take over humanity or stuff like that but because I don't trust them that they would reprogram themselves in a proper way.

I mean I don't want a drones flying above me reprogramming itself without any human interference.

Its a great concept but they should not apply this to something like drones i.e. giving machines too much control, that could prove dangerous.

Which, if you think about it, seems to be what we did -- build ourselves, except we call it evolve.

_

this is quite true. DNA is a remarkable self-replicating mechanism, and computer scientists are making great strides these days in AI by introducing random mutations into programmes, mimicking the evolutionary process, so who knows just how close we are to a new, silicon based sentience...?

• Like 1

If you ask me we should not actually give them the ability to reprogram themselves,

_

if a machine ever achieves true sentience, we may not have any choice in the matter, as by definition, it would have to be able to autonomously reprogramme itself for the learning process to occour.

but it's not ALL doom+gloom, as john conner is alive and well somewhere down new mexico way.....

• Like 1

_

if a machine ever achieves true sentience, we may not have any choice in the matter, as by definition, it would have to be able to autonomously reprogramme itself for the learning process to occour.

but it's not ALL doom+gloom, as john conner is alive and well somewhere down new mexico way.....

Haha I am sure that terminators from the future are on they way for him.

• Like 1

Haha I am sure that terminators from the future are on they way for him.

_

god, I hope so!

T2would be soooo much better (if such a thing is possible!) if it was a news report, and not just a great sci-fi movie!

• Like 1

What's with the doom and gloom? We just get to be chimpanzees.

_

speak for yourself!

i'd rather be in general urko's gorilla army, that's where all the fun'll be happenin'!!

Edited by shrooma

-

no need to worry about it just yet old love-my army of borg drones are on a regeneration cycle at the moment.....

i'm suprised it wasn't invented in scotland to be honest, seeing as the scots seem to have invented just about everything else!

Haha. Those days seem to be long gone. Just the odd instance every now and then unfortunately.

If you ask me we should not actually give them the ability to reprogram themselves, not because that they will take over humanity or stuff like that but because I don't trust them that they would reprogram themselves in a proper way.

I mean I don't want a drones flying above me reprogramming itself without any human interference.

Its a great concept but they should not apply this to something like drones i.e. giving machines too much control, that could prove dangerous.

I'm not sure that they Will have the ability to reprogram themselves in the sense that they Will be able to analyse a problem then actually 'manually' produce code. I would have thought it more along the lines of diagnosing a problem, then implementing code already written, by a human, with the specific fault or error in mind.

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it. Artificial intelligence is still miles away, even combining all of the world's supercomputers. In fact, I highly doubt that it Will ever be possible with a binary system.