Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should Babies Be Genetically Engineered?

Hasina

yes.

ginger people are the work of satan!

:-)

LMAO :lol:

• Like 1

I would not be surprised at all if it is going on right now behind closed doors as we type.

-

me neither!

yes.

ginger people are the work of satan!

:-)

WHAT??

I am telling my daddy!

Isla-Mae-Lubbock-002.jpg

• Like 1

WHAT??

I am telling my daddy!

Isla-Mae-Lubbock-002.jpg

Look at that diabolical face,no telling what evil lurks behind those red brows lol

• Like 2

my ex-wife was ginger.

and a solicitor.

(says the penniless, broken shell of a man.)

Oh dear, you do like to live dangerously.

a82ff509_animated-smiley-6.gif

• Like 3

Oh dear, you do like to live dangerously.

the next time I contemplate marriage, i'm just going to buy a house, and give it away to someone I really, really hate, as it will be cheaper, and less painful in the long run.....

• Like 3

Apparently, possibility to eradicate hereditary illnesses is unspeakable evil...

Eerie dark ages... Potatoes will cause all imaginable diseases.

No, I don't think that way. This field is like fire. It depends on how you use it. I support its use to "heat" objects and "warm" people, but I don't support its use to "burn" humanity.

• Like 1

Same here,now only if i could have his mother genetically engineered to not be such a ***** we might still be together lmao :lol:

LOL Let's hope that she doesn't lurk here. Don't reveal too much personal information, just to be on the safe side. :whistle:

• Like 1

LOL Let's hope that she doesn't lurk here. Don't reveal too much personal information, just to be on the safe side. :whistle:

:lol: Yeah was going to put a pic of myself in as my avatar,then decided would be best not to lol

• Like 1

_

by that rationale, if you could genetically modify corn to grow in desert conditions, and save millions of people from starving to death, you wouldn't? on principle?

Because of the long range affects. I have numerous food allergies and they all point to GM of grains which were carried out in WWII. Messing around with things can cause some very scary side affects and I worry about the future generations.

• Like 3

No, I don't think that way. This field is like fire. It depends on how you use it. I support its use to "heat" objects and "warm" people, but I don't support its use to "burn" humanity.

worth repeating.

My concern is if we damage chromosomes or DNA in the process we could miss out on what we really were meant to be.

• Like 4

Because of the long range affects. I have numerous food allergies and they all point to GM of grains which were carried out in WWII. Messing around with things can cause some very scary side affects and I worry about the future generations.

No kidding...

You are probably from parallel universe, because

Scientists create genetically modified tobacco resistant to an antibiotic

First GM crop trials begin around the world, including the UK

[...]

(link)

• Like 2

[...]

Screening once the child has been conceived, And even then it can not tell everything. Screening will not tell if your child will be autistic!

[...]

Maybe not today, but in the future will

[...]

They will not be using an ipad or a Dell laptop!! Surgery is not cheap and the surgeons wages are not getting lower.[...]

Time will come when robots will substitute man. Planes already are capable of flying with minimal/without input from pilot.

[...]The money required to conduct the research and experiments will cost an arm and a leg, someone will want their money back as well as the surgeons being well paid for doing it too.

Again, with time all technologies become cheaper.
  • Like 1

No, I don't think that way. This field is like fire. It depends on how you use it. I support its use to "heat" objects and "warm" people, butI don't support its use to "burn" humanity.

And how exactly it "burns" humanity?

Maybe not today, but in the future will

And how many mistakes will it take before they can find out if it can work? We are talking about a human being, not trying to a new recipe.

Time will come when robots will substitute man. Planes already are capable of flying with minimal/without input from pilot.

So whats the point of trying make the perfect human if you have the perfect robot?

Again, with time all technologies become cheaper.

Surgery does not get cheaper over time, the surgeons wll not take a lower wage

• Like 1

And how exactly it "burns" humanity?

Look to the past. Recall the eugenicists and the Nazis. Look to the future. Imagine potential genetic abnormalities.

And how many mistakes will it take before they can find out if it can work? We are talking about a human being, not trying to a new recipe.

[...]

Nature already makes many mistakes, and those mistakes are corrected by the same nature in ruthlessly effective way - death (sooner or later). With genetic engineering you can correct those mistakes so born child won't die or suffer. Is it bad?

[...]

So whats the point of trying make the perfect human if you have the perfect robot?

Surgery does not get cheaper over time, the surgeons wll not take a lower wage

We went OT a bit, but I mentioned robots as substitutes to surgeons.

Look to the past. Recall the eugenicists and the Nazis.[...]

Lenin, Stalin, Mao and others were wiping out their own without any help of genetics (which, BTW, in former USSR was banned due to ideological reasons).

[...] Look to the future. Imagine potential genetic abnormalities.

Again, genetic abnormalities do happen naturally, and left for nature alone deal with cause infant (and not only) deaths. Without modern medicine how many of us would be here to discuss?
  • Like 1

Nature already makes many mistakes, and those mistakes are corrected by the same nature in ruthlessly effective way - death (sooner or later). With genetic engineering you can correct those mistakes so born child won't die or suffer. Is it bad?

There is a thread about the mosquitoes becoming immune from the repellants. How are they going to make the perfect person immune from mosquito bites or any new virus or disease which may develop in the future?

Can they make this "perfect" person immune from all the viruses and new ones? Humans after time can become immune to antibiotic, are these "perfect" people going to be made where they do not become immune to any medications?

We went OT a bit, but I mentioned robots as substitutes to surgeons.

Lenin, Stalin, Mao and others were wiping out their own without any help of genetics (which, BTW, in former USSR was banned due to ideological reasons).

Again, genetic abnormalities do happen naturally, and left for nature alone deal with cause infant (and not only) deaths. Without modern medicine how many of us would be here to discuss?

You said the word nature. IMO, nature should be the one that decides on our progression, not man.

My wife had attention deficit disorder (ADD). I'm sure if they start "eliminating" genetic deficits, this will be one of the first to go.

I would not have had her any different. She made up for her deficiency in so many other ways, and even when her problem got the best of her, it was a wonderful thing to watch her deal with it. Of course it would be frustrating to explain something to her only to realize her mind had been elsewhere, but one leans patience that way.

She was still an independent, capable and loving wife and mother, quite my equal in our partnership.

• Like 3

Another thing that is happening in a major way now throughout Asia (especially China, India and Vietnam) is selective abortion based on sex. Male to female ratios are getting seriously out of hand. Now all of the countries involved have made this sort of thing illegal, but it is still happening. What about genetic selection of "desirable" traits if parents are this uncaring for little daughters?

• Like 1

My wife had attention deficit disorder (ADD). I'm sure if they start "eliminating" genetic deficits, this will be one of the first to go.

I would not have had her any different. She made up for her deficiency in so many other ways, and even when her problem got the best of her, it was a wonderful thing to watch her deal with it. Of course it would be frustrating to explain something to her only to realize her mind had been elsewhere, but one leans patience that way.

She was still an independent, capable and loving wife and mother, quite my equal in our partnership.

This is one thing i have thought about in this topic.Certain things as you have mentioned that we can adore about another such as the way you felt about your wifes ADD.Even things such as dimples are considered a deformity,yet are cute as hell on the right face.Do we all really want to be the same way?What about the engineered baby,should it have to be what your idea of perfect was?

• Like 1

You said the word nature. IMO, nature should be the one that decides on our progression, not man.

Why are you here then and not out using your natural survival skills?

Had? So she got better?
You'd leave her if she somehow got it cured? It sounds like you're saying you enjoy watching people with disorders trying to cope.