Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should Babies Be Genetically Engineered?

Hasina

This is one thing i have thought about in this topic.Certain things as you have mentioned that we can adore about another such as the way you felt about your wifes ADD.Even things such as dimples are considered a deformity,yet are cute as hell on the right face.Do we all really want to be the same way?What about the engineered baby,should it have to be what your idea of perfect was?

I had a cleft chin and dimples in high school. Somehow, I coped with these "facial deformities". Girls overlooked them too. Who knew that I was the Elephant Man? ;)

• Like 1

I had a cleft chin and dimples in high school. Somehow, I coped with these "facial deformities". Girls overlooked them too. Who knew that I was the Elephant Man? ;)

Wow what a freak,must have had a rough life being that messed up :lol: jk

• Like 1

Why not?

Why opt for a baby who will be sick or has a defect and that has to take medication (which is a form of engineering already, but simply a more annoying and destructive one) all its life ?

Makes more sense to prevent those troubles for a myriad of reasons. Medications cause a lot of different problems, which everyone is pretty aware of i presume. All sorts of organ failure for example. Or a baby that has to go through several operations throughout his/her life to fix the defect is also at risk of many new problems that come with it.

The financial burden that comes with a life long need for medications and different kinds of health care.

I could think of more stuff but i think everyone gets the point.

There is a thread about the mosquitoes becoming immune from the repellants. How are they going to make the perfect person immune from mosquito bites or any new virus or disease which may develop in the future?[...]

I'm stressing on genetic disorders (heritable, or not).

[...]

Can they make this "perfect" person immune from all the viruses and new ones? [...]

Maybe not today, nor tomorrow, but in the future that may happen.

[...]Humans after time can become immune to antibiotic, are these "perfect" people going to be made where they do not become immune to any medications?

:huh:

You mean, bacteria become immune?

The concept of antibiotic immunity is a misnomer that can lead people to believe that they may become "immune" or "resistant" to an antibiotic if they take it too frequently or inappropriately. This notion stems from a misunderstanding in the general public of the concept of antibiotic resistance.

It is not people who become immune or resistant to an antibiotic. Rather it is the bacteria responsible for infections that become resistant. The purpose of an antibiotic is to kill--or at least inhibit the growth of--bacteria to quell an infection. Bacteria have been around for thousands of years and have had to survive in hostile environments. As a result, they are able to adapt and have a number of mechanisms for survival, one of which is the development of resistance to antibiotics.

[...]

(link)