Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Truth behind The Bible

ali smack

We are each gods already. Everyone of us exists within god, and god exists within each one of us.

But if god exists within god yet also without god then which god would a good god god?

The way I read what they were saying, and why I referred to "Buddha nature" is that we all have the ability to be Buddha, and probably, in the fullness of time, will be.

How to interpret that in Christian terms? Well the Buddha is not someone we worship (appearances aside) but someone with certain attributes that we all have as human beings -- intelligence, reasoning, morals, aesthetics, humor, free will, power, purpose, compassion, and so on. These are attributes of gods. In a sense we are gods, depending on how broadly or narrowly you define the word.

• Like 3

The way I read what they were saying, and why I referred to "Buddha nature" is that we all have the ability to be Buddha, and probably, in the fullness of time, will be.

Buddha was a regular person, not a god. If I recall my Torah teachings, God regularly made a point of showing that He was a god and humans weren't.

The kingdom of god is at hand ....

As I understand it, most 'expert' non-theosophical readings regard it as not that "we" are god but as "we" are able to be alike god

subtle but makes a vast difference here, vast enough as 'eternal life or death' and 'eternal death or resurrection'

to live one only has to die

here the word 'die' has a very different meaning to our modern rendition of the word, read 'Chaucer' tales or Shake Shake Shakespeare

I was raised with the Torah. If there was any message in it, it was that we are humans, God is a god, and you don't cross that line.

To speak of yourself as a god in any sense is at the top of the long list of "Guaranteed Ways to p*** God Off".

I was raised with the Torah. If there was any message in it, it was that we are humans, God is a god, and you don't cross that line.

To speak of yourself as a god in any sense is at the top of the long list of "Guaranteed Ways to p*** God Off".

He's the duke of New York, he's a-number one!!

But if god exists within god yet also without god then which god would a good god god?

Where does your consciousness reside in relation to your physical body? Not where is it organically constructed, but where does it reside? How far can it ebb and flow across time and space? How much can it connect to everything else around it?

We are a tiny part of god and god is a tiny part of us, yet that tiny part connects us all to the totality of god, and hence to the universe This is sort of like how a single neuron in the brain is connected to the totality of thought and memory storage in the brain A human being, as a single neuron in the mind of god, can access the huge organic mind of god (its consciousness) or connect via tha t mind with other neurons(sapient beings) within it, no matter how far they are removed. Furthermore,we all have direct access to the long term memory storage of god which includes the memories of all those previous humans and other beings connected in the past to the mind of god. This allows us to go far back in time, not just on earth but in other racial memories.

You can call up the memory of a cromagnon or a being from another solar systen of 20000 years ago through an interface with the mind of god. We can also call on the mental capacity of god to forsee the futures avaialble to us and to alter them as we desire.

More materialistically, (and capable of physical verification) we can call on the knowledge and powers of gods mind to improve our health, happiness, eliminate non chemical depression, and many other things, like manage anger, lust, hate, and eliminate fear etc. That power and knowledge has the abilty to transform empower and "heal" any human being. It can remove drug and alcohol dependency and addiction and remove the reasons why a person turns to drugs or alcohol. It can turn hate into love, and allow total forgiveness of the most grievous hurts and injuries, in turn allowing a victim to heal and strengthen..

Edited by Mr Walker

That is a human interpretation, not gods. God lives within me. How could he be angered by me recognising that. he went to considerable effort to ensure I understood this. I live within god. How can he be angered by that? It is one of the things he asks of me to live as he requires of me. And if we coexist as one, then in at least one sense, I am god and god is I.

But god is much more than me, and so too am I more than just god. I can differentiate my self, my thoughts, and my behaviours, from those of god, even though he is within me and all around me.

So while the god within me instructs me to act in a certain way, I have a choice ot act that way or not to. But because god is also "without me", my actions have consequences which god informs me of and illustrates for me before i act.

If I still want to go against god, inside and out, then i can, but it weakens the linkage between self and god and thus weakens me.

How to interpret that in Christian terms? Well the Buddha is not someone we worship (appearances aside) but someone with certain attributes that we all have as human beings -- intelligence, reasoning, morals, aesthetics, humor, free will, power, purpose, compassion, and so on. These are attributes of gods. In a sense we are gods, depending on how broadly or narrowly you define the word.

Yes, and in addition, in christian terms we all have the power of the holy spirit (in christian terms) within us. We all have elements of christ and god within us. We can all be much more like christ or god if we chose to be. We all have the abilty to connect internally and externally to 'god"

Still the point is well taken that to play god would seem to be a way to irritate Him. This is a theme you see a lot in Indo-European (from India to Persia to Greece to the Celts to the Norse) mythology -- the human being claiming divinity and getting punished for it. I don't see it so much in the Bible, but we are told in no uncertain terms that Yahweh is a jealous god. The word the Greeks had for this was hubris, and the word has a similar meaning in English -- the pride that goes before a fall.

We have Buddha nature, but we are not Buddha; we are not Bodhisattva; we are not Erhart; we are not even good monks trying to get enlightened.

Buddhism to start with is not a religion it is a philosophy

• Like 1

Oh I think it's a religion. We have temples and rituals and holy days and no-meat days and family shrines and statues of the Buddha all over the place that people burn incense in front of and get on their knees in front of and make fruit offerings to. Buddhism also runs a network of schools and hospices and charities, to say nothing of all the monasteries. It is of course a philosophy, but all religions are also a philosophy. Its just that Buddhism is agnostic about gods and in fact close to hard atheist. It also doesn't have much dogma and no priests.

I think why many think its just a philosophy -- you don't have to go to temple or do any of the ritual things and still be a good Buddhist.

• Like 1

It isn't religion it is spiritual not religious

• Like 1

It isn't religion it is spiritual not religious

you seem very insistent on this. Would you care to elaborate further as to why, and why it seems to be very important to you to insist in this?

Buddhists with guns

or guns with Buddhists ?

Not important for me to insist it. I'm just giving my opinion which I believe to be more correct then your opinion that it is religion.

This what I think. Religion tells us what to believe and why something is so. Buddhism challenges the way you look at something.

Religion creates "faith" and worshipping a God whereas buddhism doesn't require faith or worship in God.

Religion creates this need for people to pray to a God so they can be helped whereas Buddhism shows you how to meditate

• Like 1

Yes Buddhism is spiritual, kinda, but without spirits. I think I know what you say and tend to agree that Buddhism is different from other religions. The thing is, all religions are different from each other or they wouldn't be different religions.

We have to use words as much as possible the way people ordinary use them, and people think of Buddhism as being a religion. They do the same to Confucianism, and it certainly is far more philosophy than religion.

I don't know what confucianism is so I can not comment on that.

Religion creates war.

Not important for me to insist it. I'm just giving my opinion which I believe to be more correct then your opinion that it is religion.

This what I think. Religion tells us what to believe and why something is so. Buddhism challenges the way you look at something.

Oh yes, you got that right.
Religion creates "faith" and worshipping a God whereas buddhism doesn't require faith or worship in God.
Belief without reason and evidence, what I see as "faith" is anathema in a lot of Buddhist texts. So I agree with you.

Buddhism is not mainly about meditating. In fact around the world it is actively taught mainly to just monks (Westerners who want meditative skill being the main exception). The main things I would say Buddhism is about is compassion, personal responsibility, moderation, tolerance, and I'm sure other things that will occur to me after I've posted this.

Men creates war

religion was just the most effective means of enslaving minds to perpetuate the bloodletting

I think it might be possible to say that religion is often the excuse given for wars, but the real motives are greed and enslavement.

• Like 1

People need to be more open minded not so one tracked with their religion

• Like 1

Religion creates this need for people to pray to a God so they can be helped whereas Buddhism shows you how to meditate

What do youunderstand about Buddhism? Please be more specific than ""Buddhism shows you how to meditate". From my knowledge of Buddhism, Siddhartha Gautama would cringe if his teachings were watered down to such a simplistic view as "Buddha teaches meditation".

Siddhartha Gautama would cringe if his teachings were watered down to such a simplistic view as "Buddha teaches meditation".

Learning good meditation is to me a great start, and a good supplement for life even if one knows nothing more about Buddhism.

This thread is about the Bible, and every moment now I expect a moderator to come down on me <grin> even though I swear my innocence and only respond.

I have only briefly read into Buddhism what I did learn to me did not seem like a religion