Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Sheriff Ron Lockhart said his office is investigating whether a Sequoyah County, Okla., man died after spontaneously bursting into flames.

“This is a case that I’ve never seen before,” said Lockhart.

The sheriff said 65-year-old Danny Vanzandt’s death might be a rare case of spontaneous human combustion.

http://5newsonline.c...n-sheriff-says/

• Like 1

The moral of this story? Don't have the Vindaloo in the Sequoia Curry Palace!

• Like 2

Got to be honest, that is something I find scary. I would hope it was isntant death without suffering, seems to happen msotly in peoples sleep.

I did look into it a few years ago, as it intrested me. They shown examples of how msot cases where msot liekly their beds catching fire from a cigerette or lamp etc.

I almost hate to admit it, but this is one phenomenon that I've never been completely satisfied with any mundane explanation. The one case that troubles me most is where a man's arm began smoldering then just burst into flame. There were no flammable agents near the man, nor did he work with anything that may have caused his arm to suddenly combust.

There may very well be a simple explanation, but I've yet to find it.

I cannot say I know what causes such either, I remember some rather intriguing photographs when I was quite young and collecting the weekly magazine "The Unexplained". Some victims seem to have burned leaving one body part, like an arm or something, yet the chair they were sitting in is still there. It will be interesting to see if anyone has followed this, I have not heard of a case for years.

I remember seeing this one more than once:

*snip*

One very interesting thing to come from the investigations is that almost all cases of SHC involve persons with low mobility, due to advanced age or obesity, along with poor health. Victims show a high likelihood of dying in their sleep, or of being unable to move once they had caught fire.

Edited by Saru
Removed graphic/copyrighted image

Arthur C. Clarke's "Mysterious Universe" covered this topic in Episode 8. The series is available still on 1MDB (I think)

Got to be honest, that is something I find scary. I would hope it was isntant death without suffering...

Surviving victims report to not felt at any moment any heat. They didnt felt pain at all.

• Like 1

There are probably explanations for the reported cases, but I am agnostic on this. It just might be that some abnormal body chemistry makes this possible. Although in that case there should also be "spontaneous animal combustion" in other mammals, which is something we don´t hear about. Or when is the last time we heard about about a burning gorilla?

So I give this very low odds.

Edited by Zaphod222

There are probably explanations for the reported cases, but I am agnostic on this. It just might be that some abnormal body chemistry makes this possible. Although in that case there should also be "spontaneous animal combustion" in other mammals, which is something we don´t hear about. Or when is the last time we heard about about a burning gorilla?

I am about the same way of thinking on this zaphod,though we humans do put far more unnatural things in our bodies than most animals.So i would say a small possibility this could be real.

• Like 1

Considering the amount of stuff ingested by humans that shouldn't be there, just in normal food, imagine what people with a disorder do. there are people known to eat paper, sand, drink weird stuff etc, I'm often surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I have often wondered if there is a correlation between these events and that of the metabolic production of acetone in the body from diabetic ketoacidosis. Could these people be suffering from an extreme diabetic reaction and then they decide to perhaps smoke a cigarette?

• Like 1

I have often wondered if there is a correlation between these events and that of the metabolic production of acetone in the body from diabetic ketoacidosis. Could these people be suffering from an extreme diabetic reaction and then they decide to perhaps smoke a cigarette?

Well, what an interesting hypothesis. :yes: It's a subject I've read about and that is a really down to earth explanation. I have no idea if you're right or not but sounds reasonable. Yes, many of the victims have been elderly people found dead in their houses and I get the smoking cigarettes and the bedding or their nightclothes catch fire.

But there is a case I read about in the 1930's about a dance in Scotland I think and the girl caught fire while dancing and she died. Neither she or her dance partner were smoking.

I completely agree with you,

"seemed like a long slow fire lasting more than ten hours"

It seems to me that he was already dead before he caught fire.

Thanks the only reasonable explanation that I can come up with.

Most probably it seems like a murder if they couldn't find any signs of accident at his house.

I cannot say I know what causes such either, I remember some rather intriguing photographs when I was quite young and collecting the weekly magazine "The Unexplained". Some victims seem to have burned leaving one body part, like an arm or something, yet the chair they were sitting in is still there. It will be interesting to see if anyone has followed this, I have not heard of a case for years.

I remember seeing this one more than once:

I loved remember that one,... from back in the days. One of my first encounters with the paranormal mysteries out there. That and UFOs.

http://gaizy.hubpage...eous-Combustion

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1

Surviving victims report to not felt at any moment any heat. They didnt felt pain at all.

Oh wow, i never knew there was survivers of it. I need to look into that. Thanks. :tu:

Weird... I recall another common trait amongst the victims its alcoholism, not all but a lot. And oddly, I just read about a young girl in the hospital that spontaneously ignited but the investigators think hand sanitizer was the culprit.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/national_world&id=8999734

She survived and is definitely not an alcoholic... :)

We have to remember that our bodies are made of different chemicals and minerals. Who really knows what happened. Maybe the coroner can shed some light on it. If the body was a slow burn at a temperature to burn the body to a crisp the surrounding area should have been affected by the heat. The temperature would have to be as hot as a crematorium to burn his body the way it did. It is creepy to say the least but not the first time I heard about it. Science should be focusing on similar occurances as we barely understand our own planet yet are more concerned in space exploration and looking for planets to colonize. Our own planet holds a lot of mysteries.

Oh wow, i never knew there was survivers of it. I need to look into that. Thanks. :tu:

I haven't either. Let us know what you find!

• Like 1

Google survivors of spontaneous human combustion and you will find that info. I just did.

Oh wow, i never knew there was survivers of it. I need to look into that. Thanks.

Its my pleasure.

I haven't either. Let us know what you find!

There is first time for everything.

• Like 2

Hmm interesting I have read about this phenomena on several occasions before.

its more than possible people burning up all the sudden.anything is possible also strange things things happen in life that we can't explain or science especially.what causes people do burn up like that I'm not sure but neither does science people.that sucks though and poor guy maybe its something in the body that caused it something really extreme and extremely high and unbalanced like electrical signals or chemical reaction