Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brecon Beacons win dark sky status

Waspie_Dwarf

Brecon Beacons National Park wins dark sky status

The night sky above the Brecon Beacons National Park has been granted special protection.

It has become Wales' first and only the fifth destination in the world to be granted the status of an international dark sky reserve.

The park society and the national park authority began their bid in 2011.

Jim Wilson, Chair of Brecon Beacons Park Society, said it recognised the area as one of the best places in Europe "to truly see dark skies".

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• freetoroam

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent. Good to know they will not be able to build housing developments in the area.

My mother lives a rural area, you can still see the milky way on a clear night, but they are building within the region and you can see the distant glow of the housing developments. Hopefully they will stay distant.

Good to know they will not be able to build housing developments in the area.

What gives you that idea?

That has absolutely nothing to do with having a Dark Sky status or the International Dark-Sky Association. This status is a recognition but has no basis in UK or international law.

What does prevent large housing developments is the area's status as a National Park.

What gives you that idea?

That has absolutely nothing to do with having a Dark Sky status or the International Dark-Sky Association. This status is a recognition but has no basis in UK or international law.

What does prevent large housing developments is the area's status as a National Park.

The status means the night-sky is protected and lighting controls are in place to prevent light pollution.

"Whilst no-one wants all the lights to be switched off, we can improve the lighting we use in towns and cities.

"However, the best views of the night sky come from places such as the Brecon Beacons, who have dedicated themselves to protecting and restoring the night sky for all to enjoy."

And the reason for this because there are no major big towns near by which can affect the lighting. the lighting does not have to come form the the middle of the park!!!!

I am sorry, I read the link!!

And what is your idea on why it is darker there?

And what do you think would be the result if housing developments were build around it?

Edited by freetoroam

And what do you think would be the result if housing developments were build around it?

I now exactly what the result of housing developments would be, the area would lose it's status as a dark skiy area, bi=ut that still doesn't mean that this would prevent it.

I repeat this status has no basis in UK law. If the UK government decided to allow a housing development there, the International Dark Sky Association would have no power to prevent it.

It doesn't matter how big you make the text it still does not say what you claim it does.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf