Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biden's tip for self-defense: Get a shotgun

DieChecker

If I were to buy a gun to protect myself/my property it'd be a shotgun. Big, loud and imposing. You'd not even need to use to to brown someone's trousers, and need very little training to do damage.

• Like 2

Yeah, I've been around shotguns. Very intimidating in my opinion.

No need for a direct "chest shot" , pellets screaming everywhere within a 2-foot or more radius.

If I were to buy a gun to protect myself/my property it'd be a shotgun. Big, loud and imposing. You'd not even need to use to to brown someone's trousers, and need very little training to do damage.

Its too bad you cant buy a gun in australia if your purpose given in the licensing process is "self defense"

Its too bad you cant buy a gun in australia if your purpose given in the licensing process is "self defense"

That's why I stick with my Ghurkha knife. Because there's subtle and then there's a foot of hardened steel designed to make a mess of the person on the receiving end of it.

• Like 1

Any here ever shot a taurus judge?Pistol that shoots 410 shotgun shells or 45 long colt.Not extremely accurate but close distances a hand cannon!

• Like 1

Shotguns can be effective for in-home defense, but they vary greatly so, as with any firearm, know your individual weapon.

Recoil: damage to you, or your wife or 14- year-old, which may affect taking a second shot.

Effectiveness: of shot at a distance and for close-shots you still have to be very accurate- that is, before the spray pattern enlarges, so you can still miss a close target even with a shotgun.

Capacity: only 1 or 2 shots before reloading, or more?

Handling: can everyone who might end up using it actually handle the shotgun while possibly having to maneuver through the home.

Accuracy: It is still up to the shooter even with a shotgun. Everyone who may end up using it has to know how to shoot accurately.

etc etc

If you are alone in your home you can stay put, and be situated to shoot at close-range into an open area. But if there are others in the home you or your wife may find yourself moving around the house in the dark to protect others or find an intruder practically on top of you.

Gun home defense doesn't begin and end with just having a gun in the home. Or depend solely on the *BOOM* to do the job. I believe wholeheartedly in scare tactics, but sometimes that won't work and doesn't exclude me from being weapon savvy.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 3

I am no friend of Joe Biden, but this soundbyte makes sense to me. Certainly a shotgun is a good defensive weapon for your home, unlike the ridiculous assortment of military machine guns that Americans seem to want to own.

That's why I stick with my Ghurkha knife. Because there's subtle and then there's a foot of hardened steel designed to make a mess of the person on the receiving end of it.

Nothing more satisfying like the sound of willow cracking skulls. Who needs a gun when a cricket bat is just as effective?

• Like 1

Nothing more satisfying like the sound of willow cracking skulls. Who needs a gun when a cricket bat is just as effective?

Confucius say he who brings cricket bat to gun fight can kiss his *** goodbye :tu:

• Like 3

Any here ever shot a taurus judge?Pistol that shoots 410 shotgun shells or 45 long colt.Not extremely accurate but close distances a hand cannon!

Yes. I own one. I have the first three chambers loaded with those Federal brand shells that contain (4) buck rounds. The following two are loaded with 45LC. The only time I use .410 birdshot shells is for snakes. I honestly don't trust the knock down power of .410 birdshot shells. when it comes to personal defense.

• Like 2

Joe tells his wife Jill to fire both shells out of a shotgun with a two-shell capacity, and now that she's out of ammo, not to worry, because he knows that for anyone attacking his wife, that 2nd gunshot will scare them away.

joe-biden-gun-pose.jpg

because he knows that for anyone attacking his wife, that 2nd gunshot will scare them away.

Well, if the second shot doesn't scare them away, then I bet that lifetime Secret Service protection will do the trick.

• Like 4

A shotgun makes more sense then a pistol. A pistol has to be aimed or it can be vary inaccuarte, so it takes time to get a shot. A shotgun, loaded with say buckshot, can be fired from the hip in the direction and still more then likely hit the target.

You can buy 'tactical' shotguns which still have a long enough barrel that quicking aiming wont have much effect down range, esspecialy in a small area. A shotgun is the ideal home defence firearm, if you are looking for one. Its loud and intimidating which 9 times out of 10 is all you need. Most home intruders arn't there to kill you, they are there to steal from you and even if they have a gun odds are that they wont use it.

A shotgun is cheap, effective, and easy to maintain. Also you can get recoil softening pads.

~Thanato

• Like 2

Shotguns leave a mess and I wouldn't want to have all that all over my house. A handgun works just fine.

Really? Ppl are talking about the effectiveness of a shotgun in saving your life in home defense and you're concerned with it 'leaving a mess'?

It seems like safety to some people is not the reason for owning a gun. Its the excuse for owning a gun.

• Like 1

There is a very large element of comedy in this, like almost everything that Joe does. And some element of hypocrisy, as he is advocating to be the "gun advisor" to the masses. The VP is the authority on what kind of firearms citizens should possess, just ask him! :yes:

• Like 1

A shotgun makes more sense then a pistol. A pistol has to be aimed or it can be vary inaccuarte, so it takes time to get a shot. A shotgun, loaded with say buckshot, can be fired from the hip in the direction and still more then likely hit the target.

You can buy 'tactical' shotguns which still have a long enough barrel that quicking aiming wont have much effect down range, esspecialy in a small area. A shotgun is the ideal home defence firearm, if you are looking for one. Its loud and intimidating which 9 times out of 10 is all you need. Most home intruders arn't there to kill you, they are there to steal from you and even if they have a gun odds are that they wont use it.

A shotgun is cheap, effective, and easy to maintain. Also you can get recoil softening pads.

~Thanato

nonsence.

pistol is a lot more covinient, and easier to handle in tight spaces, like halways, where most shootings occur. try it, not to metion a soundwave from a shotgun, inside clodsed space will dissorient the s..t out of most, +huge muzzle falsh. half blinded, with loud ringing in your ears, will make you a perfect target, again try it, oh, btw buck shot is a bad idea either, interior walls made from sheetrock, buckshot will go thru 2 walls easy, have done it myself, not once. and yea, if i hear my window brake ot 2am, looking for my recoil pad will be last thing i would care about.

no, you can.t buy a tactical shotgun here, they are banned here., short barreled shotguns would be a bit easier to handle in confined space, but they are banned here as well.

i don't know where you got your info, but obviusly it is far from real world.

nonsence.

pistol is a lot more covinient, and easier to handle in tight spaces, like halways, where most shootings occur. try it, not to metion a soundwave from a shotgun, inside clodsed space will dissorient the s..t out of most, +huge muzzle falsh. half blinded, with loud ringing in your ears, will make you a perfect target, again try it, oh, btw buck shot is a bad idea either, interior walls made from sheetrock, buckshot will go thru 2 walls easy, have done it myself, not once. and yea, if i hear my window brake ot 2am, looking for my recoil pad will be last thing i would care about.

no, you can.t buy a tactical shotgun here, they are banned here., short barreled shotguns would be a bit easier to handle in confined space, but they are banned here as well.

i don't know where you got your info, but obviusly it is far from real world.

I go with my experience with a 9mm pistol the things are horribly inacurate unless you have time to properly aim. Thats a fact. The shorter barrel makes it good for tight spaces but also makes them terrible weapons if you are starttled. A shotgun though bigger is easier for 'room clearing'. Can be loaded with area affect ammo, duch as buck or bird shot. Has tremendus stopping Power and amazing fear factor. For home defence a pistol just doesnt equal the shot gun.

So you cant get an 18 inch barrel pump?

For the umpteenth time, the 2nd ammendment is not about defending your home from burgalars or hunting squirells, it's about defending your freedom from tyrants. We need AR 15's and AK 47's to even begin to do that, unless we get some extreme campaign reform.

• Like 4

For the umpteenth time, the 2nd ammendment is not about defending your home from burgalars or hunting squirells, it's about defending your freedom from tyrants. We need AR 15's and AK 47's to even begin to do that, unless we get some extreme campaign reform.

Why not get some RPGs?