Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada's NEW Office of Religious Freedom

acidhead

Waste of money? Yes. Waste of freedom? No. As Stellar said you don't get to pick which departments your taxes fund. This office isn't going to have a separate tax to fund it so you don't have the option of not paying that funding, thus you can't go to jail for not paying that funding. You would go to jail for not paying any taxes at all. No freedom lost.

Of course all taxes are pooled together and then distributed accordingly..... DUH. I never implied they weren't. Do try to read carefully or ask for help when you have trougle understanding what liberty means to the individual.

Allow me to try a another example. I am totally 100% against Canada's involvement in the so-called War on Terror. I believe Canada's participation in pre-emptive war in foreign countries creates resentment towards Canadians anywhere on the globe. My tax dollars pay for Canada's military to carry out operations which murder sovereign people in foreign lands and it has put blood on my hands....blood which I never drew from anybody. This is a indirect infringement on my freedom. My private property(my body) has been violated by my GOV for the collective action they committed in my name even though I never authorized it.

And yes, I do vote. Libertarian every time I get the chance.

• Like 1

Of course all taxes are pooled together and then distributed accordingly..... DUH. I never implied they weren't. Do try to read carefully or ask for help when you have trougle understanding what liberty means to the individual.

Allow me to try a another example. I am totally 100% against Canada's involvement in the so-called War on Terror. I believe Canada's participation in pre-emptive war in foreign countries creates resentment towards Canadians anywhere on the globe. My tax dollars pay for Canada's military to carry out operations which murder sovereign people in foreign lands and it has put blood on my hands....blood which I never drew from anybody. This is a indirect infringement on my freedom. My private property(my body) has been violated by my GOV for the collective action they committed in my name even though I never authorized it.

Like the whole post except the bolded part, LOL.
  • Like 1

Like the whole post except the bolded part, LOL.

You'd be surprised. Most don't even realize how much Libertarian views they have once issues are discussed at length and logic smacks them.

My application appears to still be in red tape...or actually the last email said black tape ? Does that mean there broke too ? I was hoping for some relocation recompense.

My application appears to still be in red tape...or actually the last email said black tape ? Does that mean there broke too ? I was hoping for some relocation recompense.

Blue tape with fluorescent sparkles in it bud... it was a new idea created by a new committee. It was formed through the newly created Department assigned and committed to creating collective committees.

Thank you good sir I will send my complaint about this unnecasry delay up the proper channel.

You do know that the Afghans in Kandahar, did not want us to leave? That they were happy, sure not all of them but the majority, with what we where doing there? Also most of the fighters in that country come from Pakistan and other nations. It has on many levels improved Canada's reputation among many nations.

You dont have to authorize it, thats why we live in a democracy.

~Thanato

So your stance is that anything in which if you refuse to do is an infringement upon your freedom? Ok... I can see where you're coming from and your perspective. I don't necessarily see it as an infringement upon my freedom though. I think its a little bit dramatic, because we wouldnt be able to live in the society we do without money going to taxes to provide us with certain services...

So anything that the government does that you personally disagree with is an infringement of freedom? You do know that based on that view you will never, ever have full freedom right? Even if by some miracle a Libertarian wins an election he's still going to do stuff that you might not agree with, and thus infringe on your liberty.

So your stance is that anything in which if you refuse to do is an infringement upon your freedom? Ok... I can see where you're coming from and your perspective. I don't necessarily see it as an infringement upon my freedom though. I think its a little bit dramatic, because we wouldnt be able to live in the society we do without money going to taxes to provide us with certain services...

yes we would

So anything that the government does that you personally disagree with is an infringement of freedom? You do know that based on that view you will never, ever have full freedom right? Even if by some miracle a Libertarian wins an election he's still going to do stuff that you might not agree with, and thus infringe on your liberty.

what a dumb question in reply to my post

You do know that the Afghans in Kandahar, did not want us to leave? That they were happy, sure not all of them but the majority, with what we where doing there? Also most of the fighters in that country come from Pakistan and other nations. It has on many levels improved Canada's reputation among many nations.

You dont have to authorize it, thats why we live in a democracy.

~Thanato

bs

what a dumb question in reply to my post

bs

Well thats just what I know from the Afghan's we had contact with. You know first hand experience. But I guess that means nothing to you.

yes we would

How? Considering if we didnt have taxes, we wouldn't have roads, schools, medical facilities, you know things that make us who we are.

Edited by Thanato

yes we would

I disagree. I mean, it could happen with a vastly different system in place and different world circumstances perhaps, but I think the government reacts to the circumstances rather than creates them.

free from unlawful searches

What unlawful searches? And why are you dodging Thanatos points?

Well thats just what I know from the Afghan's we had contact with. You know first hand experience. But I guess that means nothing to you.

[

Feb. 24, 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-21566295

The Afghan president has ordered US special forces to leave Wardak province within two weeks.

The decision was being taken due to allegations of disappearances and torture by Afghans considered to be part of US special forces, said a spokesman for Hamid Karzai.

A week ago, Mr Karzai banned Afghan forces from calling in foreign air strikes on residential areas, following the deaths of 10 civilians in a night raid in eastern Kunar province.

Mr Karzai gave a blunt statement for the reasons for the ban.

"Our forces ask for air support from foreigners and children get killed in an air strike," he said.

[

Feb. 24, 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-21566295

The Afghan president has ordered US special forces to leave Wardak province within two weeks.

The decision was being taken due to allegations of disappearances and torture by Afghans considered to be part of US special forces, said a spokesman for Hamid Karzai.

A week ago, Mr Karzai banned Afghan forces from calling in foreign air strikes on residential areas, following the deaths of 10 civilians in a night raid in eastern Kunar province.

Mr Karzai gave a blunt statement for the reasons for the ban.

"Our forces ask for air support from foreigners and children get killed in an air strike," he said.

Yes and the point being? Canada didn't have fighters, nor have we been in a combat role since 2011. We do not control the United States Military either.

Nothing in that article relates to what I said about Afghans not wanting the Canadians to leave Kandahar or Panjiwa District.

~Thanato

Nothing like a nod towards religion to get everyone fired up! :)

Frankly, the only people this should annoy are the atheists. For the rest of us who subscribe to one faith or another, this is a good thing. It ensures our freedoms equally, and it enables all religions to continue with protection from those who would seek to control, persecute, or otherwise damage those religions. The government has agencies to protect everything from ethnic / race rights, gay / lesbian rights, special interest rights, even atheist rights. All of these protections are in place so that we are free to live the life we wish to live. In a free country, what better use of funds is there? I may not agree with the other protected groups, but if I do not support their right to be protected, how can I expect the things that I hold important to me to be protected?

Yes, it is very easy and requires little courage (especially on these forums) to condemn anything in support of religous beliefs. The reality is that if we all employed a live and let live policy, we wouldn't need these groups to protect us. But, since we are all so very concerned about our opinion being the "right" one, agencies like these are a necessity. To rail against such an agency that aims to provide an even playing field for all people in all religions (still a vast majority of the world's population: according to the CIA world fact book 89% of the world population subscribes to some religion) is at best a sign of social ignorance, and at worst an effort to oppress and persecute.

No.

Nothing like a nod towards religion to get everyone fired up! :)

Frankly, the only people this should annoy are the atheists. For the rest of us who subscribe to one faith or another, this is a good thing. It ensures our freedoms equally, and it enables all religions to continue with protection from those who would seek to control, persecute, or otherwise damage those religions. The government has agencies to protect everything from ethnic / race rights, gay / lesbian rights, special interest rights, even atheist rights. All of these protections are in place so that we are free to live the life we wish to live. In a free country, what better use of funds is there? I may not agree with the other protected groups, but if I do not support their right to be protected, how can I expect the things that I hold important to me to be protected?

Yes, it is very easy and requires little courage (especially on these forums) to condemn anything in support of religous beliefs. The reality is that if we all employed a live and let live policy, we wouldn't need these groups to protect us. But, since we are all so very concerned about our opinion being the "right" one, agencies like these are a necessity. To rail against such an agency that aims to provide an even playing field for all people in all religions (still a vast majority of the world's population: according to the CIA world fact book 89% of the world population subscribes to some religion) is at best a sign of social ignorance, and at worst an effort to oppress and persecute.

Insuring this so-called freedom of equality results in creating more victims. New laws which are designed to protect specific groups result in creating more victims.

Edited by acidhead

No.

Insuring this so-called freedom of equality results in creating more victims. New laws which are designed to protect specific groups result in creating more victims.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in your arguement at all. Care to elaborate? To me protecting an individual's right to believe and worship as they see fit, providing that they adhere to the laws of the land, seems like you reduce the number of "victims", not create more. Perhaps it doesn't appeal to your particular tastes, but again, when 89% of the world population believes in one religion or another, it seems like a no brainer to me to acknowledge the fact that this is an important element of society over all, and therefore should be protected with the same priority as any other human right. If you put aside the fashionable trend among self ordained intellectuals to denounce all things religious, you'll see that one plus one still does equal two. No one is telling YOU what to believe. They are merely saying that ANYONE has the right to believe whatever they want, and live their lives accordingly.

EDIT: Sorry, just had a look over your profile, and it would appear that you are more anti government than you are anti religion. While I agree with some of the libertarian movement, I think the arena of human rights is one of the last things we should ask the government to step away from.

One question about libertarianism. I noticed you are from Canada, land of "free" (tax supported) health care, provided to us by our government. Does it mean, then, since you are a libertarian, that you would not call an ambulance in the event of a heart attack or other life threatening medical event? I've always thought that the surest cure for libertarianism in Canada is a heart attack. :)

Edited by OldN8Dogg

I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in your arguement at all. Care to elaborate? To me protecting an individual's right to believe and worship as they see fit, providing that they adhere to the laws of the land, seems like you reduce the number of "victims", not create more. Perhaps it doesn't appeal to your particular tastes, but again, when 89% of the world population believes in one religion or another, it seems like a no brainer to me to acknowledge the fact that this is an important element of society over all, and therefore should be protected with the same priority as any other human right. If you put aside the fashionable trend among self ordained intellectuals to denounce all things religious, you'll see that one plus one still does equal two. No one is telling YOU what to believe. They are merely saying that ANYONE has the right to believe whatever they want, and live their lives accordingly.

EDIT: Sorry, just had a look over your profile, and it would appear that you are more anti government than you are anti religion. While I agree with some of the libertarian movement, I think the arena of human rights is one of the last things we should ask the government to step away from.

One question about libertarianism. I noticed you are from Canada, land of "free" (tax supported) health care, provided to us by our government. Does it mean, then, since you are a libertarian, that you would not call an ambulance in the event of a heart attack or other life threatening medical event? I've always thought that the surest cure for libertarianism in Canada is a heart attack. :)

Freedom isn't granted to an individual from the GOV. Freedom is everybodys right in a free society. No special laws need be created to grant freedom to minority or, as you said 89% of the world who is the religious majority. In a free society everybody is treated as equals regardless of any collective group they desire to be part of.

In Canada, as you know, if you refuse to pay your GOV medical insurance many steps are taken by Revenue Canada to collect the money: All are by the use of force and the last will put the individual in prison:

1. frozen bank account

2. deductions from your pay check if employed by an employer through the individuals SIN

3. bankruptcy

4. Prison

Because I am FORCED to pay through the use of force by the GOV I will call the ambulance because I'm paying for it anyhow... besides, private healthcare is illegal in Canada....DUH

Edited by acidhead

Freedom isn't granted to an individual from the GOV. Freedom is everybodys right in a free society. No special laws need be created to grant freedom to minority or, as you said 89% of the world who is the religious majority. In a free society everybody is treated as equals regardless of any collective group they desire to be part of.

In Canada, as you know, if you refuse to pay your GOV medical insurance many steps are taken by Revenue Canada to collect the money: All are by the use of force and the last will put the individual in prison:

1. frozen bank account

2. deductions from your pay check if employed by an employer through the individuals SIN

3. bankruptcy

4. Prison

Because I am FORCED to pay through the use of force by the GOV I will call the ambulance because I'm paying for it anyhow... besides, private healthcare is illegal in Canada....DUH

Private healthcare is not illegal in Canada, there are many Private Health Insurance companies and some clinics. It's just not a thriving business because millions of Canadians don't want, can't afford, or need private insurance or private care. Of course you are 'froced' to pay because it comes out of your taxes. If you don't pay taxes then you don't pay into the insurance, but that doesn't mean you will be refused, anything such as that.

You know what? Be thankful you live in Canada and not a 3rd world nation where the medical system is well needing vast improvements. Oh and you can spout your anti-government crap.

~Thanato

• Like 2