Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can god make a rock to big for him to left

danielost

The simple answer is no.

Socraties or Plato(I get them mixed up) said,"give me a big enough lever and I can move he earth."

Thus not only can't god make a rock he can't move, he can't make one I can't move

Not only that but Jesus (God?) needed help moving the cross the romans made.

Not only that but Jesus (God?) needed help moving the cross the romans made.

True but he was beaten.o

The simple answer is no.

Socraties or Plato(I get them mixed up) said,"give me a big enough lever and I can move he earth."

Thus not only can't god make a rock he can't move, he can't make one I can't move

Sorry about that but it was Archimedes.

The Big Rock problem is an old one. I think even Aquinas talks about it.

It falls under the concept of "self-referential paradoxes," and you get a lot about those once you've invented an "omni." something deity. They are contradictions that have the logical effect of proving the premise false.

In this case the premise is the existence of an omnipotent deity. Such a god can build a rock so big he can't move it. So if he can't move it, he is not omnipotent; if he can't build the rock, he is not omnipotent.

One common response is that he chooses to not build the rock, which obviously doesn't work because the question remains whether he can or cannot.

The more standard question is to redefine omnipotence (known as moving the goal post) to say that omnipotence does not include anything illogical. The more standard formulation is that God can do anything except that which is against his nature, and building such rocks are against his nature.

What that resolves down to is that God can do anything except that which he cannot do. Think about it for a moment -- that means we are all gods since we all meet that definition.

• Like 5

Then it follows he can't make a human too lost to be saved - think about it.

• Like 3

the answer is, of course, yes he can. and then he'd lft it amyway.

Do you not understand the problem or are you just stubborn?

There is one thing god cannot do. That is do evil.

I suppose, so he is not omnipotent then.

I take it then either making the Big Rock or moving it, or maybe both, would be evil?

I suppose, so he is not omnipotent then.

I take it then either making the Big Rock or moving it, or maybe both, would be evil?

Would depend on why. If he does an evil act, bye bye universe.

Some rocks are too heavy to be lifted so God put them in orbit instead, some hearts are too heavy to be lifted so God gave us forgiveness, some burderns are too heavy to be carried so God put his Son on a Cross.

• Like 3

Boy this sort of jargon really strengthens my conviction that Christianity is utterly irrational. Are you guys talking with a straight face?

• Like 4

Boy this sort of jargon really strengthens my conviction that Christianity is utterly irrational. Are you guys talking with a straight face?

I believe this applies to which every god worship. Except maybe the evil part. Remember Zues cheated a lot.

The clear answer is that total omnipotence does not exist. A creator god might be able to create universes but it clearly could not create such a rock. For one it would mean that that god is subject to gravity, and the rock would have to be larger than many universes . I think the real question is if an omnipotent god can give up its omnipotence. If it can then the answere is yes. God WAS omnipotent then, he made a rock that he cannot lift, so NOW he is no longer omnipotent and dosnt have a clue what to do with one bigassrock.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

When you take omnipotence away you no longer have "God," but just Superman. He may appear to be a god to the naive, but that doesn't make him god.

• Like 1

When you take omnipotence away you no longer have "God," but just Superman. He may appear to be a god to the naive, but that doesn't make him god.

Even the gods reveared the Buddha who was simply a man. ;)

• Like 2

Well, yes, but then he's not omnipotent since he can lift his rock -- he wasn't able to build it.

Perhaps the question doesn't have an answer; at least not in our dimension. God makes a humongous rock, but He can lift it. So He makes the rock bigger, but He can still lift it. So He makes the rock bigger, but He can still lift it. So He makes the rock bigger, but He can still lift it. So He makes the rock bigger, but He can still lift it...

Has science yet determined if the universe has a boundary, or is it infinite?

• Like 1

Perhaps the question doesn't have an answer; at least not in our dimension. God makes a humongous rock, but He can lift it. So He makes the rock bigger, but He can still lift it. So He makes the rock bigger, but He can still lift it. So He makes the rock bigger, but He can still lift it. So He makes the rock bigger, but He can still lift it...

Has science yet determined if the universe has a boundary, or is it infinite?

I think the answer yes it has a boundry, and it is infinite at the same time

• Like 1

There is one thing god cannot do. That is do evil.

It is alleged he made man.