Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can god make a rock to big for him to left

danielost

God cannot make a rock too big for Him to move for the same reason He cannot make a square circle. The question is meaningless babble.

You might like to think it is, but it isn't. It penetrates straight to the problem of the existence of God, basically showing logically that one can say there are powerful beings maybe but no God.

maybe ?

still ?

even now ?

:innocent:

• Like 1

not meaningless, it's a creative language thinking game. I was even asked this and other questions like it on an entrance exam, well more like interview, for college.

Edited by Jinxdom

Self-referential paradoxes are all over the history of philosophy.

"I am a Cretan and all Cretans never tell the truth."

The Apostle Paul heard that and it went right over his head.

Now Cretans are one thing, God is another. We conclude from the Cretan's statement that something is not right on the island of Crete. Similar contradictions when applied to God allow a perfectly logical conclusion that God does not exist. Of course this flies in the face of a lot of established belief, so the hostile and dismissive responses that don't really tackle the issue (because they can't) are not surprising, although a bit disappointing.

• Like 2

I give up... :angry: ! it's off topic anyway :D ...

hey #3i, I knew i shouldn't have backed down with you... now i've got this character "gummug" - 'like'-ing my the above post (GHRRRRRR!!). Thats rubbing my nose in it!

so, 'Gummug', piece of wisdom for you-

You win by accepting defeat

you over come by giving in,

you suceed by letting go.

• Like 2

Years ago I asked a room full of very Christian people this classic question. All I learned was that Christians can laugh uncomfortably and avoid a question better than any people I've met.

• Like 1

hey #3i, I knew i shouldn't have backed down with you... now i've got this character "gummug" - 'like'-ing my the above post (GHRRRRRR!!). Thats rubbing my nose in it!

I thought I was the one 'backing down'

I practically ran :lol:

The word was with god ... only logic remained with us ...

The ord spoken of in the bible wass jesus.

• Like 1

The ord spoken of in the bible wass jesus.

598982_564987836858701_10029349_n.jpg

you got to prove it ... prove it .......

No, Bom shankra, I wasn't trying to rub your nose in it...really! It just tickled my funny bone, especially with the smileys. But then, I'm easily amused. Peace to you.

:)

• Like 1

No, Bom shankra, I wasn't trying to rub your nose in it...really! It just tickled my funny bone, especially with the smileys. But then, I'm easily amused. Peace to you.

:)

sorry gummug, i suffer from delusional paranoia...

BTW, your profile quote is slightly wrong, I think the correct version is 'Theres more things in tennesse than are dreamt of in your philosophy' ( Lux Interior - The Cramps)

Callin' all cows down on the farm!

Hey! Shut the door...you born in a barn?!

I ain't no farmer...that's no fun.

Run some tractor till the work's all done.

Hey milk it bossie I'll buy ya a diamon ring.

Now good girls can't play the rent these days.

These cornfed dames done found a way.

Unzip that zipper...snap that snap.

Round up the cattle in the Cadillac.

Whip that cream baby 'til the butter comes.

Shake it baby shake it baby shake it baby shake it (4 times)

Shake that thing I'll buy ya a diamond ring.

Now there's more things in Tennessee.

Than's a dreamed of in your philosophy.

Gimme a barnful of cornfed dames.

They wiggle a little I burst into flames.

Whip that cream baby til the butter comes.

Callin' all you cornfed dames.

Lux means bucks...remember the name.

Go put on some n'real loud.

Let's get up and go get plowed.

Shake that thing I might buy you a diamond ring.

Go put on the purple one with the plumes at the hip.

Put it on upside down baby.

You know that really makes me flip.

...I ain't no farmer.

:clap:

598982_564987836858701_10029349_n.jpg

you got to prove it ... prove it .......

Atheism is just as irrastional as christianity IMO, you can't prove something doesn't exist because you don't have evidence, you can only surmise. Wiki has a defenition for agnostic atheist, and thats not far off the mark, but I think its still a bit lacking. I would suggest exsistential combined with agnosticism comes closer to a rational point of view on the subject, as far as phiosophy goes anyway. As for spirituality, good luck with you 'logic' Frank Merton...

Atheism is just as irrastional as christianity IMO, you can't prove something doesn't exist because you don't have evidence, you can only surmise. Wiki has a defenition for agnostic atheist, and thats not far off the mark, but I think its still a bit lacking. I would suggest exsistential combined with agnosticism comes closer to a rational point of view on the subject, as far as phiosophy goes anyway. As for spirituality, good luck with you 'logic' Frank Merton...

the way I see it is "there are as many irrational atheists as there are irrational christians, as much as any other 'ism' there are out there "

it a long and tired path in the human race this questions dug up by philosophy, its a mighty deep pit for spirituality and high definition "true color" illusions for logic

• Like 2

the way I see it is "there are as many irrational atheists as there are irrational christians, as much as any other 'ism' there are out there "

it a long and tired path in the human race this questions dug up by philosophy, its a mighty deep pit for spirituality and high definition "true color" illusions for logic

And, they will remain the three questions that are most important for us until the end of time. What every thast will be.

• Like 1

And, they will remain the three questions that are most important for us until the end of time. What every thast will be.

aye .... "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

I don't believe there are any conflict between the divine and 'evil'

It's where we are in the middle of it all that we observe to be 'divine' or 'evil'

the sun that sets for us, rises for others

and so it goes .....

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

~voltaire

Edited by bom shankra

To be an atheist does not mean one is certain there is no God. It only means one does not believe in God.

When every single breathing one of us decides to make up our minds together, there be your one true 'god' created

athiest don't belive in god, thefore they deny the existance of and god or diety - I don't believe in santa, why?, because he doesn't exist. what else makes sense? santa may exist, but I still wouldn't believe in him??? nonsense!

I've never really thought that the Santa Clause analogy works when talking about atheism. There are much stronger arguments, or at least less subtle, arguments against the existence of Santa than against the existence of God. Further, there plainly is no credible evidence of the existnce of Santa, it is more touch-and-go to say there is no credible evidence of the existence of God.

Nevertheless, I don't think there is a God. The skys do not spell out Jehovah in the stars.

fine, you doubt god exists. where are you then, half way between athiest and agnostic? you tell me. your hedging your bets there IMO.

define a god and you would it be proven false

prove a god and you would define falseness

how about if I could summon one, would we get somewhere then?

LEGAL STREAMING MUSIC FOR FREE:

http://www.radiorock6070.com/indexradio.html 60's and 70's underground - try the folk americana / psychadelic americana

http://streema.com/radios/play/35959 - ADELAIDE COMMUNITY RADIO - STREAMING FOR YOUR PLEASURE AND EDIFICATION;

http://www.folkways.si.edu/explore_folkways/radio.aspx - world music from the vaults of the smithsonian institutes own record label 'FOLKWAYS'

I've never really thought that the Santa Clause analogy works when talking about atheism. There are much stronger arguments, or at least less subtle, arguments against the existence of Santa than against the existence of God. Further, there plainly is no credible evidence of the existnce of Santa, it is more touch-and-go to say there is no credible evidence of the existence of God.

Nevertheless, I don't think there is a God. The skys do not spell out Jehovah in the stars.

And yet santa is 'based off a real person. He was a cbatholic bishop.

And yet santa is 'based off a real person. He was a cbatholic bishop.

isn't that st nicholas whos connected with turkey?...anyhow, didn't he get the garb from the lapland shaman - the reindeer would eat fly agaric mushrooms, and the shaman drank the deer pee.