Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What religion or spirituality are you? ? ?

Strong Flower

I see many paths that probably lead to the top of the same mountain.

Why pick just one mountain?
  • Like 1

Why pick just one mountain?

Good question. What other mountains are there? I do not know now.

• Like 1

Whether you believe it is appropriate or not, it's what I am. Yes, people have put a negative label on it but I'm still a witch lol. Witches are not evil, we do not worship Satan (Satan is not a Pagan idea lol), we do not sacrifice virgins...... if people actually studied what we worship and the paths we follow people would see there is nothing negative about being a witch.

You're absolutely right, :yes: The only point I was trying to make is don't let words take you away from your spirituality. Whether witch, esotericists, root doctor and so on and so forth. Your spirituality is still the worship, bounty and rituals of Mother Nature (the one true God).
  • Like 2

The idea that there are many paths to the top of the mountain is an ancient metaphor for the idea that there are many ways to God/Enlightenment/Salvation/etc.

So why not say there are also many mountains. I wish I could help you more but that's about all I know.

Whether you believe it is appropriate or not, it's what I am. Yes, people have put a negative label on it but I'm still a witch lol. Witches are not evil, we do not worship Satan (Satan is not a Pagan idea lol), we do not sacrifice virgins...... if people actually studied what we worship and the paths we follow people would see there is nothing negative about being a witch.

Are you a wiccan witch. Because all wiccans are witches, but not all witches are wiccans. Witch is a generic name, like caucasian, or asian. Like Christians there are many, many varieties of witches, and some are not Good.

• Like 1

Are you a wiccan witch. Because all wiccans are witches, but not all witches are wiccans. Witch is a generic name, like caucasian, or asian. Like Christians there are many, many varieties of witches, and some are not Good.

No I am not a Wiccan witch. Like you say, the term witch is very generic and I guess I would consider myself a solitary traditional witch.

I don't follow any Wiccan rede (rule of no harm, three fold return etc) but I take personal responsibility very seriously. I do believe in Karma so always consider this before any kind of spellwork (even a "positive" good luck spell for instance may have unforseen side effects).

There are nasty witches out there, just as you mentioned, I guess this is more down to the person rather than the religion as you get it with every religion.

• Like 3

I'm not much a religious person, therefore can be classified an agnostic. I came from a family whom profess to be Christians, but used to attend different churches and I wasn't baptized as a result. I would view myself a Christian if I accept the notion of Jesus Christ is the son of God and to feel Jesus served an importance to humanity, should I be considered an agnostic Christian (LOL).

Me and my wife occassionally visited a few churches like the one Lutheran church down the street from our apartment when we lived there...we decided not to join. We don't attend any church because we don't have a strong feeling of need for them. Christianity takes much devotion in belief, but I personally don't need an organized religion to instruct how to live and behave other than I have morals and ethics having to do with common sense rules on acting towards others and being a contributing member to society.

Edited by Mike D boy
  • Like 1

I think this is a good and important point. Though we live in the present and our children will have the future, I think that no matter what beliefs or non beliefs we have, it is unjust and insulting to disregard or even totaly trash the beliefs of our ancestors. They lived in their times, things were different in the past, and without them, then we would not be here. My great grandparents would be shocked by some of what I write in this forum, and what I now believe, but I would never be-little their faith.

Thank you Atentutankh, it is just as you say and say very well - our ancestors suffered in ways we cannot comprehend from the world we live in today. Because of those sufferings we are where we are and the world has developed to a state where much of it's population can expect to live a full life in peace (much but not all unfortunately). This has created the rich history of literature and events that we are free to study and learn from, my ancestors are the best reason there can be to carry forward, they are the means of my opportunity and I honour that.

• Like 1

i decided to abandon the religion i was raised with(catholic) because i realized that i only believed in it because that's what i was taught, and that can be said about most people. so i set out on a quest to find my own "truth". in the end i came up with my own conclusion, it doesn't matter. it doesn't matter what's "out there" or if there's anyone there at all. there's a phrase i found often attributed to emeror Marcus Aurelius, and i'm paraphrasing, he said if the gods really ar are magnificent and perfect and wise as we think they are, then they will judge you by how you lived your life, if you were honorable and dignified, not by how faithful you were or not by how much you prayed. if the gods really do judge you by how much you pray and how faithful you are instead of by how you live your life, then they do not deserve to eb worshipped anyway. if there are no gods, then at least you can have the satisfaction of knowing you lived an honorable life.

• Like 4

There is a very thick line between religion and spirituality . Most mainstream western faiths lack reason, reality, @nd in most cases culture. That is one of the reasons why i admire more eastern faiths . They tend to teach you how to invest in your spiritual self rather then challenging it

• Like 1

I think most of us can use counsel from time to time, both for instruction and for help in time of need, such as problems or grief. Being a member of an organized religion provides us with fairly easy access to such counsel.

Nevertheless, when it really gets "down to it," we are each on our own, and it cannot be otherwise, and we need to learn to sustain ourselves and make our own choices.

• Like 1

I consider myself to be a Christian, although, having said that, as a friend of mine has said: "don't tell me you're a Christian, show me", and I guess he has a point. One of the (many) reasons I am is because (as has been pointed out) most religions are man reaching up to God, but in Christianity, God reaches down to man (and woman too of course).

• Like 2

I was raised in a fiercely devout Lutheran family. Many of my family members are highly active in the church and its school. I never gave it a second thought; never had any doubts about the validity of it all... until I hit my late twenties. I started to be angry with "God" and began to question the activities of our church and its people. Scientifically, I had/have questions.

I started doing a lot of reading about religion and gods and whatnot, and now I'm just not sure what I believe. I have come to the conclusion that no one religion is the "true" religion. There is something out there, in my opinion.

Abraham Lincoln is reported to have said "When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion."

• Like 2

Well, at least in the States, I never imagined there could be such a thing as a "fierce" Lutheran.

Well, at least in the States, I never imagined there could be such a thing as a "fierce" Lutheran.

You should come to the South. :)

• Like 1

I was raised in a fiercely devout Lutheran family. Many of my family members are highly active in the church and its school. I never gave it a second thought; never had any doubts about the validity of it all... until I hit my late twenties. I started to be angry with "God" and began to question the activities of our church and its people. Scientifically, I had/have questions.

I started doing a lot of reading about religion and gods and whatnot, and now I'm just not sure what I believe. I have come to the conclusion that no one religion is the "true" religion. There is something out there, in my opinion.

Abraham Lincoln is reported to have said "When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion."

Abraham Lincoln left so many lasting impressions on the world - I hadn't heard this particular quote from him before, I like it.

I was raised a christian Methodist/Catholic but i guess i would call my self an Animist. .. All is ONE sort of thing.

• Like 1