Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human race is losing inteligence.

Professor T

If you are a creationist & believe in the Bible's story,Adam was very intelligent.....

If you believe in the evolutionary process, you are probably much closer to reality. But that's my personal two cents.

GirlfromOz? You believe in the Bible story yet you're screen name is relates to a very pagan place! Knowing names of all the animals is memory not intelligence. All the things you pointed out relating to his intelligence was obviously after he ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge. Adam was not perfect!

uuuhmmm...well...yeah....but he's also my brother in law! ;)

Ahhhhhh! lol

• Like 1

may i ask how old you are? i am in my mid-thirties now, and sometimes i catch myself swearing at the "stupid mindless youth" as well, but then i remember that this is exactly the speech we got from thirty-somethings when we were 15.....

i know exactly what you mean, but let them grow pubic hair before condemning them! ;)

Ugh, caught myself getting irritated that kids were running around, screaming and yelling outside my front door. Mid 30's here also, I wonder how long it will take until that turns into "get off my lawn". lol I never thought that would happen.

• Like 4

Ugh, caught myself getting irritated that kids were running around, screaming and yelling outside my front door. Mid 30's here also, I wonder how long it will take until that turns into "get off my lawn". lol I never thought that would happen.

no matter how old you are, just never forget that once you were in the age that all those annoying little sh**s are in now. Thinking back to myself in that particular age makes me pretty mild, i tell ya....

i also have a six-year old daughter, that's my extra dose of patience.... :D

may i ask how old you are? i am in my mid-thirties now, and sometimes i catch myself swearing at the "stupid mindless youth" as well, but then i remember that this is exactly the speech we got from thirty-somethings when we were 15.....

i know exactly what you mean, but let them grow pubic hair before condemning them! ;)

Unfortunately for me I'm in the same age range as them.

I turn 17 at the start of next month however,

• Like 2

Honestly we have no real reason to think anymore. Thinking is a survival skill, pure and simple. Think about how easy it is to survive nowadays compare to how it was in the past. Now that we don't need to think to survive besides the basics(and think about the differences between finding food,water,shelter in the past compared to now). We focus more on emotions, feeling good, and being entertained.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that as our existence gets easier to survive in, that our general intelligence gets lower.

:o

<_<

:hmm:

Okay I don't think there is much truth in this.. Ultimately I think that this line of reasoning is incredibly self destructive because claiming that inteligence is born from the whole "Life is survival of the fittest" senario or "Life is War" set's us up to creating life senario's like what is highlighted... The fact that life is no-longer survial of the fittest or War doesn't imo rob us of inteligence.

Also, the shift of focus to "emotions, feeling good, and being entertained" is Ego driven, and not an empowering way of spending ones energy or focus of goals that enhance or create intilligence. This false focus more on emotions, feeling good, and being entertained is a focus on sitting on ones a$$ in front of the Tele turing one's brain into vegetation imo.. which of course lowers peoples intelligence.

Focusing on emotions, feeling good, and being entertained... Hmmmm, sounds like an advert for something doesn't it. And aren't the advertising companities good at hooking us into their world by dangling these kind of treats for our ego to consume..

I agree with Jinxdom

^^^

Edited by Professor T

GirlfromOz? You believe in the Bible story yet you're screen name is relates to a very pagan place! Knowing names of all the animals is memory not intelligence. All the things you pointed out relating to his intelligence was obviously after he ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge. Adam was not perfect!

Seriously, if Adam had been, "hey babe, bros before hoes", we wouldn't be in this mess right now. :D

• Like 1

If you are a creationist & believe in the Bible's story,Adam was very intelligent.So was Eve.He was perfect.He knew every name of every animal that the Lord placed upon the Earth.That was an achievement in itself, knowing that there were many many more species of animals that existed then.He would have been a very intelligent being.Even his offspring knew how to create musical instruments that resonated with certain vibrational frequencies that enhanced the heavenly connections etc..he knew the laws of physics & connected with mathematics & with the heavenly vibrations & saw the stars & knew their placement in the universe & the timing.

There's something in the Genesis/ tree of knowledge story that might relate some truth in our loss of intelligence. I've no doubt that we as a species have lost a lot of knowledge.. But knowledge is only memory.. What is truely concerning is our loss of the ability to hold memories.. I read somewhere that people's short term memories have been on the decline since the 1980's.. (wish I could find the artical.)

i saw Mike Judge's "Idiocracy" some time ago, and i think that this is one of cinema's most accurate descriptions of the future of humanity......

A few years ago, I had a conversation with someone about that movie. I believe that our future will be like that unless something changes. Sometimes, I even think that I am getting dumber. I think the human race is losing inteligence and it's only a matter of time before we start focusing on nonsense things instead of trying to find a cure for cancer.

• Like 3

Medications have a lot to answer for too..

Doc put me on some pills (Benzalip), and for the following 6 months I started finding that lot's of mistakes started creeping into my work, and in general I started to actually feel like I was getting dumb because I started forgetting the small but significant things.. Turned out that one of the side effects of the pills was minor loss of memory..

I threw away the pills..

It took me I think about a year to get back to some form of normality.

Edited to add: Memory is not to be confused with Intelligence.. But problems with memory sure make people do some stupid things..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

No one has mentioned the cause of this decline as pointed out clearly in the article:

"Further, the geneticist explains that people with specific adverse genetic mutations are more likely than ever to survive and live amongst the ‘strong.’ Darwin’s theory of ‘survival of the fittest’ is less applicable in today’s society, therefore those with better genes will not necessarily dominate in society as they would have in the past."

What this geneticist is proposing is eugenics. Nothing to do with poverty or education. It's simply feeble minded people procreating. That's the problem according to Dr. Crabtree.

Yup. Better is relative, a "better" gene is one that is better at reproducing itself. Unfortunately smarter people limit their amount of children in many ways while ....eehemmm .... Others do not. Evolution will Win the day no matter what.

No one has mentioned the cause of this decline as pointed out clearly in the article:

"Further, the geneticist explains that people with specific adverse genetic mutations are more likely than ever to survive and live amongst the ‘strong.’ Darwin’s theory of ‘survival of the fittest’ is less applicable in today’s society, therefore those with better genes will not necessarily dominate in society as they would have in the past."

What this geneticist is proposing is eugenics. Nothing to do with poverty or education. It's simply feeble minded people procreating. That's the problem according to Dr. Crabtree.

Yup. Better is relative, a "better" gene is one that is better at reproducing itself. Unfortunately smarter people limit their amount of children in many ways while ....eehemmm .... Others do not. Evolution will Win the day no matter what.

Selective pressure is not on the side of the smart.

• Like 2

So, this is not really news... I am amazed at the lifeforms I see enter the local Wallyworld where I work...That movie, "Idiocracy" is a documentary, not a comedy!! Living proof everyday that we reward the stupid while the ones smart enough to know better go without notice...

• Like 3

We're the same age. It looks like we'll hit mid life just in time for inescapable male menopause commercials.

With all these kiddo's shouting "swag" and "yolo" these days I believe that the human race is indeed losing intelligence.

You wanna know what I find funny...is how the meaning of slang words just seem to change. We didn't ever use "yolo" but we had a use for the word "swag"...it was rather unpalatable and harsh smoking herbs....now it's a completely different meaning...everytime I hear a young kid say it I snicker....thoughts rolling back to my early years...I laugh and people look at me like I just grew an arm out of my forehead....but to me...it's genuinely hilarious....

• Like 2

The hippies and yuppies were mean to us when we were kids. I swore that I would be a nicer adult. I discovered that it was difficult to keep my vow. That difficulty started when texting started, which likely wasn't a coincidence.

• Like 2

A few years ago, I had a conversation with someone about that movie. I believe that our future will be like that unless something changes. Sometimes, I even think that I am getting dumber. I think the human race is losing inteligence and it's only a matter of time before we start focusing on nonsense things instead of trying to find a cure for cancer.

yeeeh, i'm totally with you there. that's happening already though. "Why do i need a cure for cancer? my new iPhone has an x-ray app so i can see ppl naked!"...we put so much of our daily life's wits in the "hands" of all kinds of gadgets that the next big evolutional trigger will be a massive power outage... ;)
  • Like 1

The hippies and yuppies were mean to us when we were kids. I swore that I would be a nicer adult. I discovered that it was difficult to keep my vow. That difficulty started when texting started, which likely wasn't a coincidence.

could you elaborate that context maybe a bit? i am in a state before my first coffee and didn't get that texting thing....THX

could you elaborate that context maybe a bit? i am in a state before my first coffee and didn't get that texting thing....THX

I referred to grammar and spelling mistakes. We all made them at some points in our lives. These were errors that American second-graders were taught to not make, though. I never was a language Nazi, but some of these *English-speaking* kids sounded illiterate.

I referred to grammar and spelling mistakes. We all made them at some points in our lives. These were errors that American second-graders were taught to not make, though. I never was a language Nazi, but some of these *English-speaking* kids sounded illiterate.

hahaha, now i got it....yeah, well, i sometimes shudder when i hear kids speak, sitting next to me in the tram or so. For me it is hard to tell though if written and spoken language goes down the drain due to increasing stupidity or if it really is just a generation thing going on there.....

I'm from germany, see, and when i was 14 or 15, the word "geil" came up to usage amongst us kids, translating to "cool" or "def" in english. For my parents and ESPECIALLY my Grandma, that was very offensive to hear, because "normally", the word "geil" means "horny" or "lewd". So when i hear kids in that age speak,i bite my tongue and judge them when they are in their 20s.... ;)

• Like 1

So, this is not really news... I am amazed at the lifeforms I see enter the local Wallyworld where I work...That movie, "Idiocracy" is a documentary, not a comedy!! Living proof everyday that we reward the stupid while the ones smart enough to know better go without notice...

That's true that dumb people get more attention. I see it all the time when I go places and it bothers me. Some people don't even know simple things that everyone should know. I hate to say it but there is no hope for us as a society when it comes to inteligence. We might as well re watch Idiocracy to get a reminder of what's to come in the near future.

• Like 1

When an educational center such as the net is controlled to as what we are allowed to know then yes we are fubared and yes we are being fubared